Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rachelms1985
    • By Rachelms1985 10th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rachelms1985
    Window Trickle Vents
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    Window Trickle Vents 10th Nov 18 at 4:17 PM
    Hi, I am after some advice if anybody can help.
    I live in a new build house that has window trickle vents, the ones that are currently in look cheap and have flaps that you open and close when needed. However, when the flaps are closed they dont seem to close properly so there is a constant draught coming from them. Whenever we have windy weather, my curtains blow from the draught!
    I contacted the builders in March last year, and they came out and filled the vents with some foam strips and told me that quite a few people on my estate had had similar issues.
    The foam has been about as much use as a chocolate teapot, so I am now looking at other options.
    Is there anything that anybody could recommend? As I said earlier, I suspect that the ones installed by the builders are cheap so any recommendations on better quality ones would be greatly appreciated.
    If I get different vents for the inside, are they a standard fitting or would I need measure the current ones?
    Thanks in advance :-)
Page 1
    • r2015
    • By r2015 10th Nov 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    r2015
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:22 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:22 PM
    I took my vents out and filled the hole with expanding foam and put the vents back.

No draught now.
    over 72 but not over the hill.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Nov 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:28 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:28 PM
    I just unscrew the indoor bits, stuff insulation material into the hole until the draught stops then refit the inner cover. You can always take it out later, when selling for example.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,937Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter