Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rossplymouth
    • By Rossplymouth 10th Nov 18, 3:21 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rossplymouth
    New kitchen light and wires help needed please.
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:21 PM
    New kitchen light and wires help needed please. 10th Nov 18 at 3:21 PM
    Hi guys my kitten used to have a strobe light and it have just but a 4 spotlight fitting but I just can't get it to work, I have 3 sets of blue wires and 3 sets of brown wires they are in sets of 1 blue 1 brown. And a earth which has 3 wires coming out the end. I have tried each set and the best I have got is connecting 1 of the blue and earth and 1 brown to the new light fitting and it comes on but the switch doesn't work and it makes the hallway light not work.

Can anyone please help me out.
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Nov 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:06 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:06 PM
    If this doesn't help, you probably need an electrician.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Rossplymouth
    • By Rossplymouth 10th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rossplymouth
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    I don't have that setup on the new light. I have 1 hole for N one earth and one L
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 21,229 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    Hi guys my kitten used to have a strobe light and it have just but a 4 spotlight fitting but I just can't get it to work, I have 3 sets of blue wires and 3 sets of brown wires they are in sets of 1 blue 1 brown. And a earth which has 3 wires coming out the end. I have tried each set and the best I have got is connecting 1 of the blue and earth and 1 brown to the new light fitting and it comes on but the switch doesn't work and it makes the hallway light not work.

Can anyone please help me out.
    Originally posted by Rossplymouth
    Unless you took pictures and labeled the wires as you removed them then I don't think any of us can safely.

You really need an electrician. (especially if your tests are affecting lights in other rooms)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Rossplymouth
    • By Rossplymouth 10th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rossplymouth
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    It was like the picture that the other poster put on here, but now the new like just has 1 hole for earth 1 for N and 1 for L
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    • 8,805 Posts
    • 10,109 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    You can put more than one wire into one hole.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Rossplymouth
    • By Rossplymouth 10th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rossplymouth
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    But the hole is really small
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 10th Nov 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:56 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:56 PM
    Most light fittings will have a terminal strip for the three cables. If yours doesn't, then you need a separate junction box. I've used these in the past - https://www.screwfix.com/p/surewire-sw2l-mf-16a-2-way-pre-wired-junction-box-white/8676h

But if you don't know what you are doing, and it sounds like you don't, get a qualified electrician in. Get it wrong and you could start a fire, and your insurance would refuse to pay up.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 7,428 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    • 11th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    For Gods sake employ an electrician.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 10,942 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Your comments suggest you don't understand enough about mains wiring or electricity to attempt this yourself. While it is completely allowed to change a light fitting yourself, you have to be able to do it properly and you have given no indication that you can with your questions.

I'm pretty much the last person on here to advise calling an electrician, I believe the whole "notifiable work" concept is an iniquitous imposition on householders, but in this case you definitely need to.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin