DLA no school support

Has anyone sucessfully claimed DLA for their child with no school support ?

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    I think dla has been phased out now so it will be pip. But it is not easy to get. A lot aren’t able to get help now unless it’s really difficult
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2018 at 3:03PM
    I think dla has been phased out now so it will be pip. But it is not easy to get. A lot aren’t able to get help now unless it’s really difficult

It's still DLA for children under 16 https://www.gov.uk/disability-living-allowance-children
    Eligibility criteria https://www.gov.uk/disability-living-allowance-children/eligibility
    You do not need the support of a school to apply although a statement from a school about the help the student requires can obviously help.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • an up to date statement of educational needs (think the name might have changed) is just as good if not better than a letter from the school
  • DLA is based on the additional needs of a child of the same age. It can be difficult to be awarded if the school are not supportive, but not impossible. A friend, whose son had significant needs, was refused DLA when the headteacher stated things like 'mum thinks X has autism', and 'X has no more needs than any other child', and 'X has support in school because he does not stay on task, but otherwise has no extra needs'. The child was eight at the time, and had been diagnosed with autism by a psychiatrist. He also had a number of other disabilities which required support, including tube feeding. The following year, he was transferred to a special school because his needs were too much for his mainstream school to cope with!

So, moving on. DLA is based on the additonal needs a child has compared to another child of the same age. This is what you need to write about on the form. Sometimes it may be necessary to repeat yourself. If your child attends any clubs or groups, the group leader may be able to write a supporting letter. I have written about any extra support needed for children in my Brownies and Guides. before now. Remember that the DWP do not know your child, so it is your job to provide enough details for them to make a decision. This can include medical evidence, a diary of care needs, letters from people who know your child or help to care for them, and any support that you receive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure