Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joebeal
    • By joebeal 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joebeal
    Final bill from switching supplier wrong?
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    Final bill from switching supplier wrong? 10th Nov 18 at 1:30 PM
    Hi

I recently moved into a new flat and switched energy supplier to bulb. Bulb sorted out our switch for us and we have received a final bill from British Gas who were the previous suppliers for the property (didn't know this when we moved in).
    We have received the final bill for the period that we were expecting but I don't understand some of the charges on it. We have been charged £58.26 for energy usage from 1 sept to 30th sept on the Temporary Sep 2019 tariff, however there seems to be charges on there that are dated from before we moved into the flat.

The electricity charge is £10.82 which I understand (we weren't in the house using much electricity), but it then goes on to say;

Adjustments before VAT: Balance written off 3 Apr 15 -£44.67
    Total Charges including VAT: -£35.54
    Adjustments after VAT: Bad debt written off 4 Apr 15 £46.90, then says our previous balance is £46.90 and the final charge is £58.26??

If anyone has any input on what this means I'd greatly appreciate the help!
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Nov 18, 1:35 PM
    • 6,593 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:35 PM
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Did you contact BG with your details and meter readings when you first moved in? New occupants normally go on to a Deemed Tariff when first moving in not a temporary tariff. Personally, I would send BG confirmation of when you legally became responsible for the flat and ask them to re-bill.
    • joebeal
    • By joebeal 10th Nov 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joebeal
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:00 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:00 PM
    Unfortunately no (a silly mistake really), we switched supply to Bulb as soon as we moved in and they said they'd send the readings to the old supplier and we would get the final bill from them.

How do you reckon I can go about doing that? Would I be able to do it over the phone or would I need to make an account with them?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    • 6,593 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    Unfortunately no (a silly mistake really), we switched supply to Bulb as soon as we moved in and they said they'd send the readings to the old supplier and we would get the final bill from them.

How do you reckon I can go about doing that? Would I be able to do it over the phone or would I need to make an account with them?
    Originally posted by joebeal
    The reason that BG didn’t block your switch is because they thought that it had been initiated by the previous occupant. You need to contact BG and provide them with proof of the date that you assumed legal responsibility for the property. They will then estimate your start readings and amend the Final Bill. This will be at BG’s standard variable rate.

In future, you should always contact the Deemed Supplier with your details and meter readings. It can prevent a lot of heartache down the line. You are then free to initiate a switch which will take a minimum of 17 days. Sermon over.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    £44.67 plus VAT is £46.90 so you can ignore that part of the bill.

What readings are there on the bill for the time from when you've moved in.

Next time give the present supplier readings when you move in and save yourself a lot of hassle.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,231Users online

Martin's Twitter