Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wildrosa
    • By wildrosa 10th Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    wildrosa
    landlord self-assessement
    • #1
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    landlord self-assessement 10th Nov 18 at 12:59 PM
    Hiya, can anyone tell me how to submit self-assessement on income from letting out a property that I own with my husband? Do:
    1. we both declare both the income and charges (e.g. mortgage interest etc.)
    )2. we both declare half of income and half of charges?
    3. just one of us declares all income and charges?
    Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    Do you own it in equal shares?

    If so then it should normally be 2.

    Are you aware you can no longer claim mortgage interest in full as an expense. This is being phased out over a five year period (year 1 = old system, years 2-4 transitional rules apply, year 5 = new system fully implemented).
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • #3
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    The answer is No2 if equally owned %
    • wildrosa
    • By wildrosa 10th Nov 18, 1:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wildrosa
    • #4
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:20 PM
    • #4
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:20 PM
    Thanks, no I didn't know that I can no longer claim mortgage interest in full. This will be our first self-assessement, does this mean that we can claim as per the old system but from next year we have to apply the transitional year rules?

    Or does the 5 year rule applies to everyone equally? is this year 1?
    Thanks
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Nov 18, 1:28 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #5
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:28 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:28 PM
    We are currently (2018:19 tax year) in year 3, half way through the transition.

    You are presumably completing Self Assessment returns for 2017:18 which was year 2, the first year the transitional rules applied.

    Basically you can only (in 2017:18) claim 75% of the loan interest as an expense. Your tax liability is calculated on this basis and you may then be able to claim a tax credit/deduction off your tax bill based on the other 25% of the loan interest.

    For some people this this will make no difference but the bottom line is your taxable profit will be more than it would otherwise be so it can affect people for lots of different reasons.

    There is more information here,

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter