Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • relativityx
    • By relativityx 10th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    relativityx
    Poor credit and address issues
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    Poor credit and address issues 10th Nov 18 at 12:37 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm not sure what I want from this but I'm in that waiting stage of mortgage applications where I feel i need to be doing something but not sure what to do!
    Basically....
    We had an offer accepted last Monday on our first home (yay!).
    We've gone through London & Country mortgage brokers and wanted a 95% LTV mortgage. The broker couldn't verify our address. We live in a flat..
    So we thought we'd sorted it and started our application with Post Office, we were rejected due to poor credit. Neither of us have amazing credit but sit around the average so I was a bit surprised. However, on doing a bit of digging and using 'Check my File' we are showing on the electoral roll only at 2 out of 4 of the credit checkers. Experian and Call Credit show our actual address and Equifax and Crediva can't find us. I suspect this may be something to do with the fact I think we live at for example : 0/0 Mortgage Road.... But credit scorers may think we live at Flat 0, 0 Mortagage Road and this is why we may not be verified? We've lived at the same address for 3 years and have always been registered on electoral roll.
    Anyway..... We now are considering scraping together enough deposit for a 90% LTV mortgage to see if this will help our likeliness to secure a mortgage as I believe for 95% LTV the credit scoring threshold is a lot higher.

Any advice / experience is very welcome, however please be nice I'm feeling very delicate about this all!

Hannah
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 9,075 Posts
    • 9,666 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    I don't have any solutions, but I think it is pretty common for the credit records and electoral roll not to match up as councils often use different flat-numbering systems from the Royal Mail (and the rest of the world). Would have thought there'd be some sort of fuzzy logic to sort this out by now.
    • relativityx
    • By relativityx 10th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    relativityx
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    @davidmcn it's very frustrating I just wish there was some form of human intervention, it's just a case of 'computer says no' and that's it.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 10th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 17,827 Posts
    • 9,612 Thanks
    ACG
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:40 PM
    Its not uncommon in blocks of flats.
    Your credit score is worthless, there is no score. But lets assume your credit is average, at 95% LTV the lender is taking on a high risk so they will score your application more harshly than if if you had a larger deposit.

Assuming no actual bad credit, it should be possible to get a Mortgage at normal rates I would have thought. You may just need a more experienced broker on the case. Try someone local.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Nov 18, 5:54 PM
    • 5,166 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:54 PM
    ACG is correct, L+C are also a free broker and hence you get what you pay for.

For those with less than perfect credit history, free brokers are usually not the first you should use, their model is very quantity and they will put more complex cases on the back foot

however don't expect adverse credit broker to be cheap
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter