Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 10th Nov 18, 12:20 PM
    • 293Posts
    • 132Thanks
    chippy2u
    UK stock or not?
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:20 PM
    UK stock or not? 10th Nov 18 at 12:20 PM
    I am sick to death of buying from ebay sellers who state ' UK stock, eg. London. Manchester etc, 3-5 day delivery' and then I recieve item 3 weeks later from China, Singapore etc. I have no problem with buying from the far east but if I need an item fairly quickly (3-5days) that's why I choose 'UK stock'. I do expect to pay a little more for UK stock which is OK by me. I am seriously thinking of giving neg feedback to all the 'drop sellers' who do this so they might think twice before they lie about where the stock is held!
    Rant over!!
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Nov 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:34 PM
    If something arrives three weeks later from China then I think negative feedback is in order.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 61,045 Posts
    • 43,609 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    I am sick to death of buying from ebay sellers who state ' UK stock, eg. London. Manchester etc, 3-5 day delivery' and then I recieve item 3 weeks later from China, Singapore etc. I have no problem with buying from the far east but if I need an item fairly quickly (3-5days) that's why I choose 'UK stock'. I do expect to pay a little more for UK stock which is OK by me. I am seriously thinking of giving neg feedback to all the 'drop sellers' who do this so they might think twice before they lie about where the stock is held!
    Rant over!!
    Originally posted by chippy2u
    The easiest way to stop these sellers is to open an INR once the original estimated date has passed. Also marking the item as arrived late when you leave feedback should see a seller in trouble fairly quickly. It might make them rethink their strategy.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Joan Mac
    • By Joan Mac 10th Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joan Mac
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    It's common on Amazon too and makes double-checking even more necessary.
    On Amazon the expected delivery date is often the first giveaway but not so on eBay.

Soolin's advice is good but I see so many sellers with different eBay identities based they say in the UK though obviously from outside, BUT actually the same parent company usually from HK or mainland China that I suspect it will take quite a while for them to change their strategy.
    For example I wanted some tablecloths and noticed a number of sellers based wherever in the UK, all selling the same item at the same price with the same photo's. And the price wasn't the usual rounded-up (i.e. 12-99) but an odd price like 13-37. I have noticed the same sort of thing when hunting for Christmas prezzies too.

If I was buying from somewhere like Wish I would know what to expect.
    What I don't expect is fraudsters either on eBay or on Amazon being allowed to say they are UK-based when they are not.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 61,045 Posts
    • 43,609 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    It's common on Amazon too and makes double-checking even more necessary.
    On Amazon the expected delivery date is often the first giveaway but not so on eBay.

Soolin's advice is good but I see so many sellers with different eBay identities based they say in the UK though obviously from outside, BUT actually the same parent company usually from HK or mainland China that I suspect it will take quite a while for them to change their strategy.
    For example I wanted some tablecloths and noticed a number of sellers based wherever in the UK, all selling the same item at the same price with the same photo's. And the price wasn't the usual rounded-up (i.e. 12-99) but an odd price like 13-37. I have noticed the same sort of thing when hunting for Christmas prezzies too.

If I was buying from somewhere like Wish I would know what to expect.
    What I don't expect is fraudsters either on eBay or on Amazon being allowed to say they are UK-based when they are not.
    Originally posted by Joan Mac
    If speed of item delivery is important, and I think it is, then the only thing you need to check is the estimated delivery time. If item is overseas that will show in the delivery estimate and if someone lies and pretends to be in the U.K. Then they won't last long when buyers start opening INR claims and leaving 'late' defects.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 12,808 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    As a side note, when you see resellers with those odd prices but the same item/photo/description it is invariably the Israel resellers who use software to monitor prices and make a small percentage from the drop shipping. I avoid those at all costs and it usually means that on eBay or Amazon somewhere, is the same item at a cheaper price.
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 11th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    chippy2u
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    One thing I have started doing is to scroll down the left side of the page to 'contacts' which will often have contact details although I suspect some will still be UK based drop sellers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter