Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • MarkAlexander18
    • By MarkAlexander18 10th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 103Thanks
    My father only receives pension, any other benefits he can receive?
    • #1
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    My father only receives pension, any other benefits he can receive? 10th Nov 18 at 12:07 PM
    He only lives off his state and private pension, and he's wondering if he can receive any other pensions. He had a colostomy bag fitted many years ago and isn't able to do heavy lifting because of this, so he's pretty limited there. He can walk fine and overall health is good. He is 72 years of age.

    I am just enquiring about any extra benefits he could get as he was wondering himself. If anybody here knows, it would be good to know. Otherwise, any places he could call to find out? He's having issues with his boiler at the moment, so I am looking for any ways in which he could receive help with a replacement boiler.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Nov 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:17 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:17 PM
    I infer your father lives alone. If his state pension and occupational pension add up to less than 163/week he will qualify for Pension Credit to top it up to this level

    He may also be able to claim Council Tax Reduction from his local authority.

    Does he own his home or is it rented, if rented he may qualify for housing benefit.

    There is a benefits calculator here

    In respect of boilers you could look through this
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Nov 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:19 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:19 PM
    Adding to what calcotti says some details here

    I assume he is getting the Winter Fuel Payment, bus pass etc

    The "ill health" benefit for those over 65 applying for the first time is Attendance Allowance

    From what you say, though, I doubt he would qualify
    Last edited by NeilCr; 10-11-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Nov 18, 12:21 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 3,364 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #4
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:21 PM
    • #4
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:21 PM
    Suggest he contacts Age UK, local Citizens Advice / local advice centre.
    Or he could put his income details in a benefit calculator. Savings Pension Credit may be a possibility.

    Does he rent or own his property?

    Also look at Attendance Allowance:
    But if in good health, and able to dress, wash, etc independently - this will be unlikely.

    Re: Boiler - I suggest he starts by ringing his energy company.
    Look at
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 10-11-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edit: Cross posted with Neal and calcotti
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,790Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

  • Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta?

  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh!

  • Follow Martin