Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nino
    • By Nino 10th Nov 18, 10:29 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nino
    Specified adult childcare credits.
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:29 AM
    Specified adult childcare credits. 10th Nov 18 at 10:29 AM
    How much does the Child Benefit claimant's earnings have to be in order to claim specified adult childcare credits.

I'm a grandmother who has looked after her granddaughter for 2 days a week for a full year but have not qualified for these credits because her Mum has not earned enough money.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 12,013 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    How much does the Child Benefit claimant's earnings have to be in order to claim specified adult childcare credits.

I'm a grandmother who has looked after her granddaughter for 2 days a week for a full year but have not qualified for these credits because her Mum has not earned enough money.
    Originally posted by Nino
    Sorry, but I am not quite sure what you are asking.

As a grandparent looking after your grandchild you can claim NI credits towards your state pension BUT the parent has to give up their NI credits which they get from receiving child benefit (the child has to be under 12 to receive these)

Do you mean that the mother of your grandchild does not earn enough to pay NI so needs the NI credits from the child benefit herself? If so then the figures are here:

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/01/grandparents-who-help-with-childcare-at-risk-of-missing-out-on-full-state-pension---act-now-to-protect-it/
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 10-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    • Nino
    • By Nino 10th Nov 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nino
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:51 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:51 PM
    The letter I have received from HMRC states that I did not satisfy qualifying conditions because the Child Benefit claimant's earnings were not equal to or above the qualifying earnings factor for the tax year.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    Taken from the link above,
    You can apply for specified adult childcare credits if:
    • You're a grandparent, or other family member, caring for a child under 12.
    • You're under state pension age.
    • You live in the UK (and not the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man).
    • The child's parent (or main carer) is entitled to child benefit and has a qualifying NI year meaning he or she doesn't need the NI credit you receive automatically with child benefit.
    • The child's parent (or main carer) agrees to your application.
    The parent of the child most likely needed the NI credits, which means you don't qualify for them.
    • Nino
    • By Nino 10th Nov 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nino
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:51 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I'll check those details with her.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    To be getting ni credits through work the child’s parent would need to be earning at least 116/week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter