Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 10th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 10Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    Making a fresh start, where would you live?
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    Making a fresh start, where would you live? 10th Nov 18 at 9:14 AM
    Hi All,

Thanks for reading my thread

I'm looking for some advice and I suppose its quite an open question at the moment (apologies for being vague at times)

I'm 26, and run my own recruitment company (please don't judge me, I'm a nice recruiter, PROMISE!) Myself and staff all work remotely, therefore I am not tied to a particular office location. The business has been going well and continues to grow... I have moved around quite a bit over the last 8 years and really now looking for a real community that I can be part of. I'm originally from Scotland (which is where most of my family still reside, Ayrshire to be exact) and have lived in these three areas over the last 8 years (Stockton on Tees, Manchester & London)

Having lived in London for the last two years, my time and energy has all been focused on building the business up. I do love London and always will, but the cost of living is just getting out of control and as a single person, it is hard to keep up. I'm at the stage now where I'm a little sick of renting out my spare room just to be able to afford to live in London. Therefore looking for a real sanctuary to call home. I've recently moved out of my place in London and temporarily staying with a friend in North Yorkshire, I have been travelling a fair bit over the last month and things are finally settled down. Therefore it is time to find a new place...

I will be renting initially, budget to £900PCM, looking for ideally 2 Bed property, some outside space would be great (balcony/terrace or garden) and ideally a nice outlook (something to gaze out at whilst working from home!) My mind has been all over the UK when considering places to live ... I'm in a position where I really can live anywhere, my close friends live all over the country therefore I don't really have a 'support network' to live close too.

Without sounding like a grade A you know what... I do love quite an artsy scene, an eclectic mix of people without everyone being stuck up their own backsides. Somewhere that offers a decent social scene where I can make new friends.

Initially I have looked at Brighton/Hove, however I won't be able to find what I am looking for with my budget in the area... I then considered Hastings, however have been put off by a lot of negative research. Also Margate seemed a good shout at one point but for some reason I am not 100% in love with Margate after visiting...

Other options I have considered are Glasgow (West End) and also Manchester (Media City/Salford Quays way)

I've ruled out cities such as Liverpool, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol (nothing wrong with these just not for me)

It would be great to hear everyones opinions and if there are any hidden gem locations out there!

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 10th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I went to University in Manchester and LOVED it. Lots of young professionals "upgrade" to Didsbury when they start working. One of my brothers has lived in Birmingham and Leeds and enjoyed both, whilst another brother lives in York and absolutely loves it (and his wishes from a city sound similar to yours)!!

Since you can move around easily, do you have enough money in savings to afford to rent an AirBnB property for a week or two in a couple of your shortlisted locations and have a chance to really experience it? That's what I'd consider doing in your situation anyway
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018 | spring 2019 | winter 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE
    Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18) | 16.9% (1st Sep '18) | 18.0% (6th Oct '18) | 18.4% (31st Oct '18) 23.9% (2nd Nov '18)
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 10th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    I went to University in Manchester and LOVED it. Lots of young professionals "upgrade" to Didsbury when they start working. One of my brothers has lived in Birmingham and Leeds and enjoyed both, whilst another brother lives in York and absolutely loves it (and his wishes from a city sound similar to yours)!!

Since you can move around easily, do you have enough money in savings to afford to rent an AirBnB property for a week or two in a couple of your shortlisted locations and have a chance to really experience it? That's what I'd consider doing in your situation anyway
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly
    Yeah Manchester is a pretty special place! Will check out York...

And yes good idea, I thought the same.... I thought if I could narrow it down to a Top 3 then I would be able to have a little try of each with an air bnb for 5-7 days in each
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Nov 18, 3:09 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 7,950 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Saddleworth outside Oldham might not be arty enough for you?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Nov 18, 3:11 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Saddleworth outside Oldham might not be arty enough for you?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Have you been recently?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Nov 18, 3:14 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 7,950 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Have you been recently?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Not recently. Seems just as expensive as it used to be.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 10th Nov 18, 3:20 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    pinklady21
    Why not move back to Ayrshire?
    Only an hour or so from most locations to Glasgow. Train stations and airports easily accessible. Beaches and countryside. MUCH cheaper than London too. What's not to like?
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 10th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    Thanks PinkLady, whilst I enjoy visiting Ayrshire and agreed iit has some beautiful parts (Troon being my favourite)

Itís somewhere I enjoy visiting and wouldnít want to live there... I donít feel itís got that Ďhappeningí vibe that Iím looking for and maybe just a little too close to family lol! I love my family but at arms length
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Nov 18, 7:05 PM
    • 3,603 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Not recently. Seems just as expensive as it used to be.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    It is expensive, but the OP has a decent budget, and it’s got more gentrified, artsy and trendy over the years.

I think it’s worth a look if he wants to be near a city but have nice views.
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 10th Nov 18, 7:41 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    Thanks I see that itís classed as Hillside Hipsters ! Very much the vibe Iím looking at, although property in the area seems scarce...
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 11th Nov 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 2,426 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    How about Devon, Exeter is a nice city with plenty to do or places like Totnes are quite artsy.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th Nov 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Read your OP, and came on here to suggest Hebden Bridge - then discovered that it had already been mentioned!! We rented a 4-bed 'executive' style house between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden for £850 - that was 5 years ago, but a budget of £900pm should still get you something worth having. Hebden Bridge has its own style, definitely worth looking in to.
    Other areas in West Yorkshire that are worth looking at - Ilkley, Skipton, Bingley.
    Or what about Northumberland? Closer to Scotland, and towns like Morpeth and Alnwick are lovely - and if you want a city, Newcastle is easy to get to.
    It sounds lovely, being able to work anywhere - we were in a similar situation 8 years ago. We'd been working abroad, and as we ran our own company and worked worldwide, we could live anywhere - it's a hard decision to make.
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 11-11-2018 at 5:41 PM.
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 11th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    Manchester does have a special place in my heart, I have also considered Didsbury & Chorlton as I could just about afford a small house there with a little garden.
    Originally posted by LeapOfFaith
    I've lived in quite a few places around the country, right now I live in Chorlton and I wouldn't swap it. It depends what you want though, I like it for its trendy bars and independant restaurants, some good green open spaces and the mersey valley, plus now we have the tram and it's only three stops to didsbury or the other way into manchester town centre, which is full of gig venues and theatres. Other places that have been mentioned like Saddleworth are only 10/15 miles away but are completely different, much more living near wide open spaces, but very little night life and without the transport links.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 17,146 Posts
    • 47,408 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Read your OP, and came on here to suggest Hebden Bridge - then discovered that it had already been mentioned!! We rented a 4-bed 'executive' style house between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden for £850 - that was 5 years ago, but a budget of £900pm should still get you something worth having. Hebden Bridge has its own style, definitely worth looking in to.
    Other areas in West Yorkshire that are worth looking at - Ilkley, Skipton, Bingley.
    Or what about Northumberland? Closer to Scotland, and towns like Morpeth and Alnwick are lovely - and if you want a city, Newcastle is easy to get to.
    It sounds lovely, being able to work anywhere - we were in a similar situation 8 years ago. We'd been working abroad, and as we ran our own company and worked worldwide, we could live anywhere - it's a hard decision to make.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    If you're fine about living further north - Todmorden does look interesting to me. Just in process of getting 3 more (modern style) eateries. Check out "Incredible Edible Todmorden" and I'd certainly be in that if I lived there.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
    • DottieDam
    • By DottieDam 11th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    DottieDam
    I went to uni in Leeds then lived there for a while after. I think the problem is finding a nice area to live near the centre that isn't student-ville. And that also isn't an industrial-era terrace to buy (although you might be OK with this).

Hebden Bridge is quite far away and is still a small town so I wouldn't call it happening. Yeah it is pretty and got a good art culture but you will struggle to get a train home from Leeds after a gig say.

Your areas in Glasgow seem well suited for what you want. But then I recently chose an area of the UK to live and chose Glasgow so I am biased. We were in Edinburgh but couldn't afford to buy a house with a garden. Also Glasgow has more stuff going on and is easy to get out to countryside.
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 12th Nov 18, 10:42 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Thank you for your reply

It certainly is a great position being able to work from anywhere, it just throws up a huge decision on where to move , however it is certainly a first world problem!

I do love Hebden, not much on the market at the moment, however it would certainly fit with my budget when something comes up, 2 Beds seem to be between £500-£700 . Will also have a look at the other areas in Yorkshire that you mention.
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 12th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    I've lived in quite a few places around the country, right now I live in Chorlton and I wouldn't swap it. It depends what you want though, I like it for its trendy bars and independant restaurants, some good green open spaces and the mersey valley, plus now we have the tram and it's only three stops to didsbury or the other way into manchester town centre, which is full of gig venues and theatres. Other places that have been mentioned like Saddleworth are only 10/15 miles away but are completely different, much more living near wide open spaces, but very little night life and without the transport links.
    Originally posted by quotememiserable
    Thanks! I do love Chorlton and I am viewing somewhere there on Wednesday... Like you said.... I do need a bit of nightlife, I'm still a single girl, so it would be nice to meet someone eventually and not cut myself off too much!

I previously lived in Dids (east) and did enjoy it but Chorlton has a bit more of the vibe that I'm looking for.
    • LeapOfFaith
    • By LeapOfFaith 12th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeapOfFaith
    I went to uni in Leeds then lived there for a while after. I think the problem is finding a nice area to live near the centre that isn't student-ville. And that also isn't an industrial-era terrace to buy (although you might be OK with this).

Hebden Bridge is quite far away and is still a small town so I wouldn't call it happening. Yeah it is pretty and got a good art culture but you will struggle to get a train home from Leeds after a gig say.

Your areas in Glasgow seem well suited for what you want. But then I recently chose an area of the UK to live and chose Glasgow so I am biased. We were in Edinburgh but couldn't afford to buy a house with a garden. Also Glasgow has more stuff going on and is easy to get out to countryside.
    Originally posted by DottieDam
    Thanks Dottie, Yes I do have Glasgow on my list... I have had a good look around Leeds and spent the day yesterday there... I do love the place/people etc but I did find a lot of the areas quite studenty.... Chapel Allerton seemed nice though.

The areas in Glasgow (Hillhead, Broomhill, Kelvinside) would be at the top of my budget , from looking and viewing a few places it seems that for a 2 Bed flat in an old tenement is around £800-1000 PCM. Like you mentioned, Edinburgh is lovely but for what I want, would be a bit too out of my budget. What other areas of Glasgow would you recommend ? I've seen a lot around Shawlands but not sure of the area...
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 12th Nov 18, 11:59 AM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 57,912 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Perhaps worth having a look at Stirling or Bridge of Allan if you are open to a return back to the frozen north. Stirling is a lot more cosmopolitan than the sleepy town it once was and the transport links to Glasgow/Edinburgh and the south are pretty good. It certainly fits the plenty to do on the social front requirement.

Dundee is also very much up and coming these days with the new V&A museum and a lot of regeneration going on.

Neither of the above are particularly cheap however I guess in comparison to London they may be a snip!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Nov 18, 12:26 PM
    • 11,080 Posts
    • 14,626 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Leigh-on-Sea!

Happiest place to live in 2016. Second place in 2017.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-3741240/Leigh-Sea-Essex-coast-happiest-place-live-UK.html

I'm only 4-something miles from Southend Airport so you'll prob get North and to Scotland in less time than being in the middle of the country and driving or getting train!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • airandwater
    • By airandwater 12th Nov 18, 4:05 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    airandwater
    Ha! My other half is from Ayrshire.

£900/Month for a 2 bed with outdoor space rules out the South East so the north it is.

My advice is make a shortlist of cities like Bristol, Manchester and Leeds. Then use AirBnB to stay at all three at £20-30 pound per night.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,727Users online

Martin's Twitter