Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avh26
    • By avh26 10th Nov 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    avh26
    Gifted Deposit
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:51 AM
    Gifted Deposit 10th Nov 18 at 8:51 AM
    Gifted Deposit from Partner

Basically my very first home is due for completion on 30th November. Everything has been plain sailing until now, I received a phone call from my solicitor on Wednesday to explain the bank isn't satisfied with my partner gifting the deposit and residing in the address.
    Regrettably we both saved for the deposit in an ISA which is solely in her name, due to bad credit my partner cannot be on the mortgage. Obviously we both did not realise we would become unstuck at this stage but never the less we still have to find a solution.
    My mortgage broker is on holiday until next week so hoping some of you could shed some light on this.

A few questions...
    'Is it possible to now state she will not be residing in the property?'
    'Can my parent take out a loan to gift the deposit and pay it off once the house has gone through?'
    'Will my mortgage broker have any tricks up his sleeve?'

As you can imagine we are both devastated at the thought we could loose our new home.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by avh26; 10-11-2018 at 9:06 AM.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Nov 18, 9:19 AM
    • 34,337 Posts
    • 18,651 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:19 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:19 AM
    There are lenders accepting of such cases and there are lenders who aren't.

It sounds like the wrong lender was chosen for this and you will need to change.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • avh26
    • By avh26 10th Nov 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    avh26
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:46 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:46 AM
    Yes I suspect there will be other providers willing to accept that. Unfortunately that would be a case of us starting our application again and doubt the seller would be willing to wait.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    • 60,994 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    Originally posted by avh26
    Was your mortgage broker aware of your plans?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • avh26
    • By avh26 10th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    avh26
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    Was your mortgage broker aware of your plans?

Yes my broker was aware from the begging there has not been any hidden agenda.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 60,994 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    Yes my broker was aware from the begging there has not been any hidden agenda.
    If your broker was fully are of the facts. Then the source of the deposit should have been flagged as an issue. Attempting to deceive creates mistrust in business relationships. Lenders share application data here.

https://www.nhunter.co.uk/howitworks/
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Nov 18, 11:59 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:59 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:59 AM
    To be blunt OP, fraud is not something you want to be black listed for, as getting a mortgage in future will be very impossible

You need to tell the truth to the broker/lender, how you do it is up to you.

A gifted deposit is not a gift is it, if your paying it back to your parents?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 13,179 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    Gifted Deposit from Partner

Basically my very first home is due for completion on 30th November. Everything has been plain sailing until now, I received a phone call from my solicitor on Wednesday to explain the bank isn't satisfied with my partner gifting the deposit and residing in the address.
    Regrettably we both saved for the deposit in an ISA which is solely in her name, due to bad credit my partner cannot be on the mortgage. Obviously we both did not realise we would become unstuck at this stage but never the less we still have to find a solution.
    My mortgage broker is on holiday until next week so hoping some of you could shed some light on this.

A few questions...
    'Is it possible to now state she will not be residing in the property?'
    You can state it. How believable do you think that is?

'Can my parent take out a loan to gift the deposit and pay it off once the house has gone through?'

Your parent can take out a loan and do whatever they wish with their money. If you pay it back its not a gift though is it? You might get away with it if you lied and your parent did on the form they sign stating its a gift.

Ask them

As you can imagine we are both devastated at the thought we could loose our new home.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I think you'll have to wait until next week.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 11th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 10,827 Posts
    • 4,312 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    Do not take any impulsive action here. No suggesting a change a circumstances to the Lender which could make matters worse.

Wait for your Broker.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 12th Nov 18, 9:13 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    due to bad credit my partner cannot be on the mortgage.
    What is this bad credit you speak of?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin