Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Nov 18, 6:57 AM
    • 3,225Posts
    • 44,758Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th November 2018
    • 10th Nov 18, 6:57 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th November 2018 10th Nov 18 at 6:57 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th November 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Thank you all for the kind thoughts x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light here damp underfoot after rain during the night and not so windy. Temperature dropped yesterday afternoon.

DH and I enjoying first peaceful cuppas, I'm showered, dressed and just finished brekkie as I'm working this morning.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk. I had fish and vegetables. Tonight we're having chicken saag and I'll make up a veg curry also, rice and accompaniments. DS1 is going out and doesn't want curry I have some sausages and mash left in the fridge so he can have that.

I was again reasonably productive yesterday - ironing got done and a couple of other jobs.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-11-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Nov 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 48,782 Thanks
    meanmarie
    So sorry to hear Holly's news.......how the #ell did that happen??? Surely the diagnosis should have been for both breasts at the same time..... best love to her when you speak Nelski.

Have middle son and partner from London this weekend, she won a 5k Park run this morning..... DS and Mossie observed, although Mossie would have preferred to run.

Having a haircut this afternoon, need to start dinner as we are having ham and cabbage at DS s request.

Have as good a day as possible

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Nov 18, 12:27 PM
    • 26,350 Posts
    • 107,713 Thanks
    candygirl
    Nelski, what awful news from Holly, some people really get the sh*tty end of the stick.

Gers, I'm sorry about the news about your mother.

I didn't post yesterday because I had a bit of an emotional day but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic again today. We'll see Chris and Crystal again today which is always nice.

I finished sewing the blocks of my patchwork quilt together yesterday, it just needs the borders on now. I'm pleased with how it looks and the black fabric I was worried about looks good now.

Rosyred, you must live not too far from where I grew up in Charnock Richard.
    Originally posted by snoozer
    Ooh that's not far from me either

NELSKI I'm so sorry to read about HOLLY.Please send her my love xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Nov 18, 1:17 PM
    • 10,878 Posts
    • 119,648 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Nelski oh no, what rotten news - poor Holly! The Universe really is kicking her while she's down! Please pass on my very best wishes; it seems so inadequate, but there's nothing else I can do.

LameWolf I'm quite happy with my smart meter and although I've only plugged the monitor thing in a couple of times for a few days at a time, it's strangely satisfying and fascinating to switch things on and off to see it change
    Originally posted by tru
    Mr Wolf doesn't want one as he deems the "real time" bit as a gross invasion of privacy, plus he feels that as our fuel usage drops markedly if we're on holiday, anyone dishonest would be able to work out when the house is empty..... yeah, paranoia, but I actually do agree with him.

The display thing also is a big no-no for me; we both now have lifelong illnesses, and need to have adequate warmth and light. I'm the sort of person who, given a virtual finger wagging at me in the form of a display showing real time usage, will sit in the dark and shiver rather than put the light and heat on.

Like all things, it's "horses for courses" and this particular horse isn't for us.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 34,093 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hello all, I have not been posting the combination of too much real life and too few spoons, but I do try and make time each day to read and send appropriate wishes into the universe.

So sorry to read of Holly's news, what a kick in the face.

Healing vibes to Holly, taff, polly, CHS and Hester, Gers' DM, Mr Wolf and LW, snoozer and family and everyone who is bereaved or supporting loved ones etc. Best wishes to Specky for your new life in Manchester, look forward to reading of your new adventures.

I am blessed with my lovely DSis and Dbrothers, who are amazing, caring and all pulling together as we plod along trying to learn about the care system, finances and so on, we have a common aim of trying to find somewhere that our DM will be looked after, comfortable, happy and safe for her remaining years, I know many of you will have already trodden that path, we are at times befuddled and struggling, but where there is a combined will...........

Take care all and sincere apologies for anyone I have missed to mention.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Nov 18, 3:57 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 44,641 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening - made it home in good time, and a lovely sunny drive too.

DM decided she was too wobbly to go shopping so wrote me a list, which she then insisted on reading out to me to 'explain' what she wanted! I did point out that I learnt to read at a very early age and haven't lost the knack though it didn't stop her.

I've definitely been setback with my recovery from the virus, I feel worse than I did on Wednesday so will be unpacking, having a cup of tea and then retiring to the bedroom for my evening of TV. I've already been in the back garden to fill up the bird feeders, there was a queue. My old rose has fallen over, the wind must have been so high that the plastic covered wire has sheared. I've propped it up temporarily and will look at it again when I feel better.

Hugs all round -
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 23,943 Thanks
    csarina2
    Aarrgghhhh the wretched UTI is back again. Back to drinking pints of water till I an get to the Drs on Monday!!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 16,415 Posts
    • 140,322 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sorry to hear Holly's news Nelski but the soon she is treated the better the outcome tell her chin up from us all.

Just off to eldest DD's for a family dinner with her,Oh, in-laws and her DD,B/F.

Been busy baking today so will be taking some goodies with me

Have a good evening chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 10th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 21,343 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Hi all, I’m de lurking to post as this is a thread I look at each day but have felt like I may sound a bit “samey” but I’d like to try. My main reason for de lurking is to send kind wishes to Holly, on her news.

The kitchen is currently loaded up with blackberrys that are cooked up and now sieving to make into jelly tomorrow. Next up is Rosehips, in an aim to clear out some freezer shelves for festive goodies.

I’m about to pop out to Mr T for a couple of things I can only get from there.

DH has cleaned up his car ready for helping out in the remembrance parade tomorrow.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 6,800 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Thinking of you Holly if you'r reading, also everyone else who is having a tough time, and there a few on this thread that are going through rough times at the moment, I always feel so helpless, some of you are very brave.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 11th Nov 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 16,198 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    What horrible news for Holly. I just hope they can treat this and that she cope. Please pass on my best wishes Nelski. Hope you sleep better tonight.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18

Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,706Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter