Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: What Dulux matt emulsion colour would you choose for this house?

Magnolia

3.57% • 1 votes

Polished pebble

17.86% • 5 votes

Barley White

14.29% • 4 votes

Natural Calico

35.71% • 10 votes

Gardenia

3.57% • 1 votes

Egyptian cotton

14.29% • 4 votes

Pale Grey

10.71% • 3 votes

Eau de Nil - Grey Green Equivalent

0% • 0 votes

Timeless

17.86% • 5 votes

You may not vote on this poll

28 votes in total.

Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    Do the ceilings and woodwork white, it lightens the room. Sand, fill and paint the woodwork, no need to strip, wear a mask as old paint can contain lead.

Magnolia is standard for rentals, do a tidy job and call it country cream.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Sedge123
    • By Sedge123 10th Nov 18, 9:47 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Sedge123
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:47 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:47 AM
    Polished pebble by dulux and white for ceilings. Looks really fresh without being dated.
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 26,371 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    We have Barley White by Dulux on lots of our walls in our current (and previous) home. We also used it on the house we will move to but currently rent out. It's a nice warm but neutral colour and is available in 5L pot sizes which makes it economic to buy in large quantities. We were exceedingly fortunate that the one area we couldn't repaint in our rental home, due to not having access to long ladders to do the stairwell, turned out by sheer coincidence to be painted in Barley White matt, so we got away with touching up the odd marks.

We painted the ceilings white.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Nov 18, 9:55 AM
    • 12,881 Posts
    • 222,488 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:55 AM
    Dulux natural calico is an offwhite with a grey tone so it doesn't influence other colours.

Magnolia has a pinky undertone, Gardenia is yellow-toned.

If you are using whites/creams on the walls you can do the ceilings the same colour which saves time and effort.

I'd use matt paint on the walls, and also a matt option on woodwork as it is less hassle to apply (and I don't like shiny paint). If you are painting everything white, then make sure you use the same white on the woodwork. If using magnolia/gardenia/calico or other 'off white' paints then either go with brilliant white or choose a darker/contrasting colour. Greys work well with natural calico.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Nov 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:01 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:01 AM
    Agree with Norman.
    Neutral colours are best. There are quite a range of cold close to magnolia that will give similar effect but a slight variation such as bedrooms slightly warmer and kitchen, if well lit with natural light, slightly greyer.

Do use moisture resistant paint in kitchen and bathroom.

All areas can be water based paint. Less smelly, easier to clean brushes etc. faster to dry and therefore do the job. Matt emulsion for walks and suggest satin finish for woodwork - the finish of water based paint applied by brush is not as smooth as solvent based as it shows benchmarks more so satin makes them much less obvious.

As mentioned above preparation is key. Several brands of 'trade' paint available and can be cheaper but also a bit hit and miss in terms of quality and covering power.
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Nov 18, 10:22 AM
    • 8,163 Posts
    • 7,122 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:22 AM
    It's a no brainer, white ceilings and magnolia walls. White woodwork.

Don't overthink it. It's a renters and house builders default.

I use Leyland trade paint.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 10th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    I used Screwfix matt emulsion to freshen up my previous house. Used magnolia on walls, white on ceilings. 10 for 10 litres and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I can't comment on gloss paint since I didn't need to do the woodwork.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th Nov 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:59 AM
    Dulux Egyptian cotton is classy but inoffensive.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • lucywillow
    • By lucywillow 10th Nov 18, 11:53 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    lucywillow
    Dulux Egyptian Cotton
    Another vote for Dulux Egyptian cotton. It's neutral but warm and looks good in all lights.
    I bought the easycare matt version and it has stood up well to being washed where scuffs & marks have occurred.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 10th Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Advice from the professionals that had to redecorate here after water escape is to use one of the Professional paints... less need for many coats to cover properly; also drip less.

They used Dulux Professional and/or Armstead Professional paints (another brand from the same company).

Woodwork: water based satin white is my preference. Not full gloss but still has a sheen.

Colours - your choice entirely. All white means no need for care when cutting into the wall-ceiling junctions and might suit some of the smaller rooms better?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 10th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    FreeBear
    All areas can be water based paint.
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    Less than impressed with the covering power of water based gloss white - It might have been the brand I picked up.. The solvent based gloss white is starting to yellow after less than a year.

Satin & matt seem to attract dirt more quickly, and some of the woodwork I've done (with satin) looks decidedly grubby after just a few months. But the satin was cheap, has good coverage, and dries very quickly.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • archived user
    Do the ceilings and woodwork white, it lightens the room. Sand, fill and paint the woodwork, no need to strip, wear a mask as old paint can contain lead.

Magnolia is standard for rentals, do a tidy job and call it country cream.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Thanks for the tip about lead, so if the woodwork is 100 years old which I know for sure it is because the nails are hand made then it means the paint underneath is 100 years old paint which would "definitely" contain lead?
    Over the past 100 years painters would never have sanded all of the paint back to the original wood just like today's painters don't thereby meaning that the original lead containing paint is still there on the wood and if a person ie myself does a thoroughly deep sanding action I'm likely to remove the dangerously toxic lead containing paint thereby releasing lead into the atmosphere that I'm breathing

I'm guessing this will need to be P3 masks
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Nov 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    need an answer
    White ceilings and woodwork

Neutral walls either white,magnolia or pale grey now seem popular in rental properties

I find satinwood is good for the woodwork and doors as it doesn't discolour over time.

As a LL myself ive always found crown trade buckets good...and you will go through plenty of paint!

To paint the whole house with something nonstandard would be a waste especially as you will find the need to repaint some walls at the end of tenancies to keep them fresh looking.Patching in colours is always difficult.
    in S 41 T 64 F 66
    out S 60 T 69 F 78
    2017 -32
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 10th Nov 18, 1:52 PM
    • 24,006 Posts
    • 27,151 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    My apartment was painted in a very pale eau de nil (grey-green) by the developer some 15 years ago. The colour looks well in brighter and dark areas, and with a variety of colour schemes. I actually intend to repaint in the same colour.

I also intend use the exact same paint - a Johnstone's trade matt emulsion - because it washes down with sugar soap (city centre diesel exhaust muck) and patches over incredibly well (eg. smoke stain above a heater; large scratches/ scuffs from metal furniture).

Having said that, there is a lot to be said for a paint that is easy for the tenant to get hold of. I have heard good things about Wilko's own brand.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Nov 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 26,371 Thanks
    Slinky
    Thanks for the tip about lead, so if the woodwork is 100 years old which I know for sure it is because the nails are hand made then it means the paint underneath is 100 years old paint which would "definitely" contain lead?
    Over the past 100 years painters would never have sanded all of the paint back to the original wood just like today's painters don't thereby meaning that the original lead containing paint is still there on the wood and if a person ie myself does a thoroughly deep sanding action I'm likely to remove the dangerously toxic lead containing paint thereby releasing lead into the atmosphere that I'm breathing

I'm guessing this will need to be P3 masks
    Originally posted by beanfarmer

Have a look at this. If your woodwork isn't flaky and not too rough, but just needs freshening up, this stuff is brilliant. Paint it on with a brush using a circular motion, leave it to dry for a few hours or overnight, wash off with a damp cloth and then paint.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GU6I40/ref=asc_df_B001GU6I4056775872/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B001GU6I40&linkCode =df0&hvadid=255660170781&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand =6445128541890493067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev= c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006933&hvtargid=pl a-613176133152&th=1&psc=1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 8,934 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Stripped and stained/varnished skirtings can look nice if the doors and other woodwork are similar. Otherwise, all woodwork white.

Ceilings and friezes (the bit above the picture rail) white.

All walls magnolia (traditional) or white (contemporary, but can be stark).

If you're doing 'feature wall' colours, picking out the cornice and picture rail in similar might be nice, but it's extra work.

Don't use fancy light fittings with awkward bulbs. Standard BC pendants and white paper globe lampshades that are 1-2 in Asda. Easy for tenants to change to their choice and cheap to replace back.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Nov 18, 6:05 PM
    • 38,264 Posts
    • 160,896 Thanks
    silvercar
    I would say that 'timeless' is a more modern colour than magnolia. It is less yellowy.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 10th Nov 18, 6:18 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    Head The Ball

3. What brand or brands of paint would you recommend? (One lovely person has recommended Dulux)
    Originally posted by beanfarmer
    We had our whole house decorated by a professional decorator two years ago.

We used Dulux Diamond Matt on all walls (various colours) and bathroom ceilings (white).

We used Dulux White Matt on all other ceilings.

We used Dulux White Satin on all woodwork.

We are very pleased with the result. The decorator did a first class job.

Marks on the Diamond Matt walls sponge off very easily.

Don't use anything but white for the ceilings and woodwork.

We used a variety of wall colours in different rooms but I agree with others who suggest a magnolia or similar colour throughout for walls in a rental property.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 11th Nov 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Our Dulux White Satin hasn't yellowed in two years and some of the rooms get a lot of sunlight.

Even with the curtains closed, the window sills can be in full sunshine all day and they still look perfect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

846Posts Today

5,900Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Do you believe BBC news reporting is biased on Brexit? In last week's poll, about left right? https://t.co/0I5nWrlfk1

• Oh the irony. Though to be fair to number 10, this probably sums up Brexit better than anything else I've seen... https://t.co/jfx47FUUYa

• That's almost exactly my journalistic philosophy. I never consider it a story if after checking it out I believe i? https://t.co/PxvHs456FC

• Follow Martin