Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramsdej
    • By ramsdej 10th Nov 18, 12:59 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ramsdej
    Gym Membership Issues
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:59 AM
    Gym Membership Issues 10th Nov 18 at 12:59 AM
    Hello everyone,

I seemed to have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle with my local gym and I hope you fantastic people can help.
    So basically my Direct Debit comes out on the first of every month, and on the 1st of October 2 Direct debits came out. I called the gym and asked what the additional 20 was for and they said it is for equipment fees (so they can buy new equipment etc) and that it is in the Terms and Conditions. I have since checked this and that is correct but obviously I did not know this.

Anyway, as it was the 1st of the month, I had a chunk of money leave my bank and I did not notice that the Direct debit for the 'Fees' had been returned. We fast forward a month (the 2nd of November) and I get my first email from Harlands (who deal with the gyms DD) stating that I owe them 120, for the 2 missed DD and fees they have slammed on top. Now obviously as 1 DD failed, this automatically cancels it, so that is why I missed Novembers too.

I called up Harlands and they state they sent an email beginning of Oct, to state I missed the DD and also another half way through the month to say they were going to take the DD again. I did not get these emails (even checked SPAM).

Harlands wont budge on the fees and I personally think its a coincidence that the first email I get fell on the 2nd, which just gives them an excuse to add more fees for missing another month.

I get marketing emails all the time from the Gym, so how hard is it for them to send one 2 weeks before to state that they will be taking an additional payment? I personally think that this is extremely poor customer service and this would not have happened if I knew this 'Fee' was going to come out in Oct.

Is there anyway I can get out of these fees? Im more than happy to pay what I owe, just not 1 third of my gym membership for the year for one missed DD!

Thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Nov 18, 2:04 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:04 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:04 AM
    "...obviously I did not know this..."

You say it's in the T&Cs so why did you not know?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Nov 18, 7:52 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 20,710 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:52 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:52 AM
    Harlands wont budge on the fees and I personally think its a coincidence that the first email I get fell on the 2nd, which just gives them an excuse to add more fees for missing another month.
    Originally posted by ramsdej
    Yes, it will just be a coincidence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,129Posts Today

7,710Users online

Martin's Twitter