Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grayson
    • By grayson 9th Nov 18, 9:25 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 1Thanks
    grayson
    Sofa so uncomfortable.
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:25 PM
    Sofa so uncomfortable. 9th Nov 18 at 9:25 PM
    I purchased a sofa from Argos online, it was delivered a couple of days ago.
    I assembled it yesterday and disposed of the packaging as I didn't notice any faults. However, after a few hours of sitting it's so unbelievably uncomfortable, to the extent of my bum and legs going numb. I don't think I can live with it for much longer its so uncomfortable.

My question is can it be returned for a refund or exchange as it has been used and has no packaging? Still in perfect condition though.

Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Nov 18, 9:42 PM
    • 12,013 Posts
    • 8,753 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:42 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:42 PM
    As you purchased it online, and assuming it's withing 14 days, then you may be able to cancel it but you wont be getting a full refund now that you've "assembled it" and thrown away the packaging. Argos will be able to deduct an amount if the value of the goods has been diminished by your handling.
    • grayson
    • By grayson 9th Nov 18, 11:00 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    grayson
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:00 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:00 PM
    As you purchased it online, and assuming it's withing 14 days, then you may be able to cancel it but you wont be getting a full refund now that you've "assembled it" and thrown away the packaging. Argos will be able to deduct an amount if the value of the goods has been diminished by your handling.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 10th Nov 18, 4:54 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:54 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:54 AM
    I have family who have bought sofas from Argos and they are awful.
    Get around the many furniture charity shops and buy a good quality second hand one for a fraction of the price or Ikea.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    • 12,013 Posts
    • 8,753 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Originally posted by grayson
    Anything up to the full amount of the sofa. your sofa is now used.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 10-11-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 12,013 Posts
    • 8,753 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    I have family who have bought sofas from Argos and they are awful.
    Get around the many furniture charity shops and buy a good quality second hand one for a fraction of the price or Ikea.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Ikea sofas aren't much better imho.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    • 16,077 Posts
    • 22,101 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Given the market for a sofa that has already been assembled then unassembled with no packaging, I imagine they would deduct 90% of the original cost.

Sell it on a local selling site and go buy one from a shop where you can try it first.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    The likely amount is your honest answer to this question: How much would you be prepared to pay for an unpackaged, second-hand version of the sofa you bought? For me, it would be no more than 60% of the original price.
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 10th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    My question is can it be returned for a refund or exchange as it has been used and has no packaging? Still in perfect condition though.

You ordered online, so you have the right to return within 14 days. Stop sitting on it immediately though, as I can guarantee it will look used if you continue sitting on it until they come and collect it. Depending on the terms and conditions they supplied when you bought it, you may be responsible for paying the cost of the return delivery. Is it possible to sit on the sofa before you remove the packaging? If not, then you have an excellent argument that there should be no deduction for the missing packaging, as obviously there's no way you could know that they're horribly uncomfortable without sitting on them. Any chance you can fish the packaging back out of the bin? It will make life easier if you don't have to have that argument with them.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 16,077 Posts
    • 22,101 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    You ordered online, so you have the right to return within 14 days. Stop sitting on it immediately though, as I can guarantee it will look used if you continue sitting on it until they come and collect it. Depending on the terms and conditions they supplied when you bought it, you may be responsible for paying the cost of the return delivery. Is it possible to sit on the sofa before you remove the packaging? If not, then you have an excellent argument that there should be no deduction for the missing packaging, as obviously there's no way you could know that they're horribly uncomfortable without sitting on them. Any chance you can fish the packaging back out of the bin? It will make life easier if you don't have to have that argument with them.
    Originally posted by askmeaboutsofas
    Distance selling only gives you the right to EXAMINE goods as you would in a shop.

Anything in addition to what you would have done in the shop can be deducted from the refund.

As the OP has ASSEMBLED the sofa and used it, they will get very little refund.

Comfort is subjective. My parents find their sofas very comfy but I disagree!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Nov 18, 4:03 PM
    • 12,013 Posts
    • 8,753 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by askmeaboutsofas
    It's been assembled and no longer has any packaging. Argos are entitled to make a deduction to any refund.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 10-11-2018 at 4:05 PM.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 10th Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Zandoni
    In the real world Argos are a very reasonable company to deal with, I'd suggest you give them a ring and see what they say. It might be worth adding that you had no way of testing it without assembly.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Nov 18, 5:46 PM
    • 11,181 Posts
    • 9,542 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but the one thing I would never do is buy a sofa without sitting on it first. Yes, this does limit me to bricks and mortar outlets, but it's no fun living with something uncomfortable.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Nov 18, 5:50 PM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 12,614 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I know a lot of people will disagree,
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Not me
    but the one thing I would never do is buy a sofa without sitting on it first. Yes, this does limit me to bricks and mortar outlets, but it's no fun living with something uncomfortable.
    Ditto
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Nov 18, 7:38 PM
    • 12,825 Posts
    • 8,676 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I know a lot of people will disagree, but the one thing I would never do is buy a sofa without sitting on it first. Yes, this does limit me to bricks and mortar outlets, but it's no fun living with something uncomfortable.
    I agree.

People buy from Argos because it is cheap. It isn't a sofa shop.
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 10th Nov 18, 10:47 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    buying a sofa online is a bad choice you need to go to a sofa supplier and sit in them all till you find one you like. Argos is cheap n nasty
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 11th Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Same goes with beds & mattresses............
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 11th Nov 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 12,614 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Same goes with beds & mattresses............
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Absolutely!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Nov 18, 10:42 AM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 5,264 Thanks
    robatwork
    In the real world Argos are a very reasonable company to deal with, I'd suggest you give them a ring and see what they say. It might be worth adding that you had no way of testing it without assembly.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Couldn't disagree more.

In their shops they are a superb organisation, very amenable and helpful especially after sales.

Their online setup is terrible, from the quality of the furniture they sell, to their delivery teams and customer service both on the phone and online.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,108Posts Today

7,520Users online

Martin's Twitter