Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jellybean66
    • By jellybean66 9th Nov 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jellybean66
    Appealing PPI Rejection
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:32 PM
    Appealing PPI Rejection 9th Nov 18 at 8:32 PM
    I have had a PPI claim accepted by Barclays for a policy taken out with Woolwich. When we moved we had to have the PPI Policy transferred to a new one. We just swapped this without any checking etc. If we had not moved then the original policy would have still been in place. Can I challenge the rejection based on the fact that the original claim has been upheld and the only reason we had a new policy no was because we moved.
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 6,186 Thanks
    societys child
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    You took out a new policy? How was it mis-sold?

• Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Nov 18, 9:51 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:51 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:51 PM
    Do you mean you complained about the second policy and were rejected or that your complaint about the first one was rejected (you wrote accepted)?
    • jellybean66
    • By jellybean66 13th Nov 18, 1:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jellybean66
    • 13th Nov 18, 1:04 PM
    • 13th Nov 18, 1:04 PM
    Sorry I wasnt clear. I had the first claim accepted by Barclays. I did not take out a new policy of my own accord it was swapped to a new policy no by the provider. I was not given the option to either not have it or go elsewhere.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Nov 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 13th Nov 18, 2:08 PM
    • 13th Nov 18, 2:08 PM
    If you did 2 separate complaints and one was approved, one rejected you should have been given the option to go to the FOS to look at the rejection, have you done this?
    • stuart_b
    • By stuart_b 13th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    stuart_b
    • 13th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    • 13th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    These ones can get complicated because the reasonable person's view of what is the same loan and/or policy (and perhaps how it was presented to you) and how the lender and the rules see it can be poles apart.

Perhaps the key here is whether there was another sales process or if the PPI did genuinely convert to a new policy number without your involvement. If it was the latter as you say, then what you paid was due to the original sales process.

It may have felt as you described, but there may also have been a piece of paper along the way (with all the other mortgage forms to sign) where you were effectively sold a new policy.

You can as suggested go to the ombudsman if Barclays have given their final response. You could try calling Barclays to discuss with them first as they may be willing and able to explain and this will be faster than going via the FOS.

In this sort of case it may be worth you doing a Subject Access Request (even at this stage) to get hold of all the paperwork as you will then have a much better idea of exactly what went on.

But check the Barclays rejection letter - if it's the final response, the clock is ticking to act. 6 months from that letter's date if you want to go to the FOS. But a SAR can be completed in about a month so you would have time.

Thanks
    Stuart
    • jellybean66
    • By jellybean66 13th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jellybean66
    • 13th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    Thank you. Stuart your assumption is correct the paperwork was just swapped to a new policy as we had taken out a new mortgage when we moved. I therefore feel that it should have been dealt with in the same way as the claim that Barclays have accepted. I have not approached the OS yet as i only received the rejection at the weekend. I think I will do this now as I have nothing to loose either way. Thank you for your advice Stuart_b and Nasqueron
    • stuart_b
    • By stuart_b 14th Nov 18, 1:25 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    stuart_b
    • 14th Nov 18, 1:25 PM
    • 14th Nov 18, 1:25 PM
    Thank you. Stuart your assumption is correct the paperwork was just swapped to a new policy as we had taken out a new mortgage when we moved. I therefore feel that it should have been dealt with in the same way as the claim that Barclays have accepted. I have not approached the OS yet as i only received the rejection at the weekend. I think I will do this now as I have nothing to loose either way. Thank you for your advice Stuart_b and Nasqueron
    Originally posted by jellybean66
    No problem - recommend you consider a doing SAR asap before FOS as this may get you copies of letters, application forms, internal systems records showing the policy details.

Otherwise you may get through FOS process (assuming they uphold Barclays decision) and still wonder whether it's been handled correctly.

Stuart
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,187Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter