Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 9th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 332Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Smb3088
    Outlook Junk Email inundation
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    Outlook Junk Email inundation 9th Nov 18 at 8:03 PM
    Lately I have been inundated with junk email being sent and falling in my junk folder. I sort through them every day and I unsubscribe from them all. I have ensured my iPad clears the data and web browsers regularly. I limit ad tracking, ask websites not to follow me. And I just canít see any other settings to limit the amount of junk,Iím getting. Iím a hotmail / outlook email address holder. Any advice?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 9th Nov 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:54 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:54 PM
    The problem with Hotmail addresses is that there are so many of them (it used to be the biggest email provider before Gmail overtook it in 2012) all you need to send an email to whateveryoulike at hotmail dot com and it will almost certainly be guaranteed to be delivered to somebody.

The easiest solution is either to get a new email address or make better use of the Junk Mail features in Outlook settings.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Nov 18, 8:56 PM
    • 8,763 Posts
    • 6,611 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:56 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:56 PM
    Never unsubscribe for starters
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 10th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 5,017 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    Lately I have been inundated with junk email

I unsubscribe from them all.
    Originally posted by Smb3088

So you're letting the spammer know they've found a real, monitored address?

Any advice?
    Originally posted by Smb3088

Get a new email address. Your current one is going to get even more junk.
    Or you could just ignore the junk mail folder and accept that it's doing the job quite well for you.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 10th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 1,413 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    Yup - sadly you have screwed your own position by pressing the opt out button.
    Now the spammers know that your address is a real one with a real person behind it.
    So as per the advise given all you can now do it get another address - 'cos you are going to be deluged in the crap.

I too have an old hotmail.co.uk address which are not longer given out and every now and then I get the spam folder full of whatever is the latest scam game in town. It comes in waves. Fake Linkedin emails was the last one as reported on here.
    I leave the spam folder alone and let it do its good work unmolested.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    I've had a similar deluge recently. Mostly LinkedIn stuff but others too. (I don't use LinkedIn). Yes, it comes in waves.

I did try playing around with the Outlook 'Rules' but I couldn't get it to work for me. e.g. You can supposedly set a rule to detect a phrase in either the header or text of an email and choose to move that email to a chosen folder. I tried using this a few ways, because the LinkedIn ones always use the same phrase (something like "You have been contacted by ...") but the emails always ended up in my junk folder - they would never go directly to 'Deleted', which is what I set up the rule to do.

I gave up in the end and decided just to let them come into Junk and I delete them regularly.

The LinkedIn ones have almost stopped for now.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 10th Nov 18, 2:23 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:23 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:23 PM
    Ah man. Sounds like I’ve screwed my self then opting out. O well I’ll let it fall into my junk folder then as usual and delete it . Ah
    • PDC
    • By PDC 10th Nov 18, 5:49 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    PDC
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:49 PM
    I don't use Outlook myself anymore but I seem to remember you can block senders and emails with certain words in the Options settings so you may be able to reduce it by using these filters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

673Posts Today

4,580Users online

Martin's Twitter