Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Want2BeDebtFree
    • By Want2BeDebtFree 9th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Want2BeDebtFree
    Cabot Texting Me Now? What Shall I Do?
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    Cabot Texting Me Now? What Shall I Do? 9th Nov 18 at 7:48 PM
    Hi there guys;

So, as a lot of people will know on here, I have stopped paying Cabot Financial my monthly instalments (as of April 2018) via "Step Change" (I rang and instructed Step Change to cease all payments) as Cabot STILL have NOT supplied me with the original Credit Card contract/credit agreement, and have written to me advising the debt is unenforceable. (I asked for the original contract via a letter in December 2017).

However since then, I've had letters, phone calls, and today a text message from them asking me to contact them!

Each time a new number comes through to my phone I bar it. But this text message is truly getting to be classed as "harassment" now! I have already put it in WRITING to Cabot that I have instructed Step Change to cease all monthly instalments as per April 2018 when they said the debt was unenforceable, and I said "I am going down the Statute Barred route as you have not supplied me with the original contract, and you have advised me in writing that the debt is unenforceable".

If they keep ringing me, texting me etc, what can I do to stop them? (I do block each new number). But I want it stopping.

Am I correct in saying this form of harassment goes against the new privacy laws from earlier this year with regards to cold callers? It is not doing my mental health any good having to keep block these numbers all the time. What shall I do?

Thanks guys
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    • 15,753 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    Write a letter of complaint to them, or you can send an email, tell them you believe the current collection activity is too excessive and is borderline harassment.

If they do not cease and desist from contacting you in any other way except in writing, you will lodge a formal complaint for harassment with both the FOS and the ICO as under new data protection rules you concider there behaviour to be in breach of such regulations.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Nov 18, 8:07 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 2,850 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:07 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:07 PM
    You could change your number, a pain I know but an easy solution.
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • BadDebtor
    • By BadDebtor 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    BadDebtor
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    Formally advise them that you do not want to be contacted by email or text or phone but only by royal mail say you never provided your data to them for this PURPOSE as defined under GDPR and they must cease and desist using or sharing your data immediately.

CEO is kstannard@cabotCM.com

Do not call them. send an email to them or write to their data controller informing them that they are in breach of GDPR and you are making a complaint to the ICO.

Data controller:
    Cabot Financial (UK) Limited
    Address:
    1 Kings Hill Avenue
    Kings Hill
    West Malling
    Kent
    ME19 4UA

Once done you join SpamCop and copy the full header and text of emails from them and report as Spam within 2 days of receipt.

You also report all texts as spam, your mobile phone provider will have a number

Also report the mobile texts to ICO as nuisance calls

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/

If they have never obtained explicit consent to contact you for this purpose (since May it cannot be assumed) then they are in breach of GDPR, if you write advising them that they have not obtained consent and to cease but they continue then raise a complaint to the ICO.

They can now be fined up to 9% of their worldwide turnover.

Maybe start a thread so others can report the data abuse by Cabot and this start to provide evidence for ICO to fine them.
    • Want2BeDebtFree
    • By Want2BeDebtFree 14th Nov 18, 8:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Want2BeDebtFree
    • 14th Nov 18, 8:25 PM
    • 14th Nov 18, 8:25 PM
    Wow ! Awesome Replies everybody!! I am going to do a letter then to them regarding breach of GDPR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,469Posts Today

8,958Users online

Martin's Twitter