Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Exlibra
    • By Exlibra 9th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Exlibra
    Two Landlords in one month
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    Two Landlords in one month 9th Nov 18 at 7:18 PM
    I wish to give the required one months notice to end my periodic AST Tenancy I will pay the full rent but need to actually vacate the property early.The period in question is 17 November - 16 December but I need to leave on 27 November.
    My LL has sold the property which is due to be completed 29 November after which I have been informed the new owner will take over as the new LL.Current LL has no objection to me leaving on the 27th and says he will apportion the final part of the rent to the new owner.

My contract is originally with the current LL not the new owner who takes over after I have left the property.My questions are firstly.am I free to leave after the current LL is handed back the keys? Secondly,do I have any obligations to the new LL(supposing the sale completes) ?
Page 1
    • nrsql
    • By nrsql 9th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    nrsql
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    I think in this situation the tenancy agreement is passed from one landlord to another. They just have to inform you it is happening and the deposit needs to be transferred and the new landlord needs to verify your right to rent and that the safety checks are valid.
    But they have two months to send you the notice in writing so maybe they don't have to do this at all as you will be gone.
    If you are paying to the 16 Dec then you should have the availability of the property until then but I suspect they don't have to update anything during that period as your tenancy agreement is still in force.

It would be easier for them if you left before the exchange and they would probably be amenable to that given that you will be leaving in just over 2 weeks anyway. The new landlord would have to maintain a lot of documentation for little reward.

Maybe a compromise to save them the effort?
    Last edited by nrsql; 09-11-2018 at 7:57 PM.
    • Exlibra
    • By Exlibra 9th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Exlibra
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    Thanks. There was no deposit so less paperwork for everyone.As I only have a contract with the current LL,I presume once he is handed back the keys on the 27th I am free to go having fully paid for the final month.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    • 45,954 Posts
    • 55,514 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    You have a contract with your current landord. You deal with him. You serve notice on him. You agree any other terms like ending the tenancy earlier than the required notice with him. You get every agreement in writing (to avoid misunderstandings.)

the new landlord takes over the tenancy, and all your contractual agreements, and becomes your new landlord. He cannot alter your contract with your agreement. You can,of course, reach new agreements with him if you both wish.

So if you have agreed with the old LL to end the tenacy on X date, then that is binding on the new LL.

If you have paid rent in advance to the old LL, covering a period after the new LL takes over, then that is matter for them to sort out - you have paid your rent as required so it is not your problem.

When you leave, the new LL is responsble for returning your deposit. Whether he has it, or has access to it within the deposit scheme, is not your problem. That is a matter for them to sort out as part of the hand-over of the property. Claim it back from the new LL.
    Last edited by G_M; 10-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

406Posts Today

4,009Users online

Martin's Twitter