Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 32Bitter
    • By 32Bitter 9th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 62Thanks
    32Bitter
    Old employer seeking overpaid wages
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    Old employer seeking overpaid wages 9th Nov 18 at 5:52 PM
    I recently started a new job (2 weeks in now). I gave in my notice to my former employer that only required 1 weeks notice. I had an email today that I owe them 160.

The sum I owe them seems odd as I worked right to the end of the month. I do not have any sick pay deductions to include and I have not taken more holiday than I have accrued.

I am going to email them for clarification of the overpaid amount. I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?

TIA.
Page 1
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Nov 18, 5:55 PM
    • 5,454 Posts
    • 9,028 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:55 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:55 PM
    I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?
    Originally posted by 32Bitter
    Possibly, however it's somewhat irrelevant. Either you owe the money (in which case pay it back) or you don't. Asking for clarification of what this money is for, as you've done, is the right step. Wait until they come back to you and see what it is.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    Debt collection companies have no teeth.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    Les79
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    Debt collection companies have no teeth.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Well, maybe not... But I can't see any reason why the company would be unable to take OP to court and obtain a CCJ, which can lead to other more effective recovery methods and leave a black mark on your credit rating.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    • 5,896 Posts
    • 6,840 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    I recently started a new job (2 weeks in now). I gave in my notice to my former employer that only required 1 weeks notice. I had an email today that I owe them 160.

The sum I owe them seems odd as I worked right to the end of the month. I do not have any sick pay deductions to include and I have not taken more holiday than I have accrued.

I am going to email them for clarification of the overpaid amount. I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?

TIA.
    Originally posted by 32Bitter
    Probably unlikely but really does depend on the company

Though don't expect a reference in the future. If it is found you do owe it then just pay it back and move on with life
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    If you acknowledge that you owe the money but will find it difficult to pay it all in one go, ask if they will accept in, say, two or three instalments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin