Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisMP
    • By ChrisMP 9th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ChrisMP
    British Gas insisting that I'm their customer
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    British Gas insisting that I'm their customer 9th Nov 18 at 5:41 PM
    Hi, really hoping that someone can help me with this issue.

I've been contacted by British Gas 3 times now where they are insisting that I am one of their customers for a property that I don't live in.

I've called British Gas 4 times and been told each time that it has been resolved and nothing to worry about ... but then I get another letter or a home visit. I've already put in a complaint to British Gas.

Can anyone give some advice on what I should do next? Feels like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall.

** Edit - The property they are chasing me for is my old flat. For 2 months last year I was still tenant at the flat whilst my tenancy notice was being used up even though I'd bought a place on the other side of town. I changed my address on the account to my new place as I was still paying the bills.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ChrisMP; 09-11-2018 at 5:57 PM. Reason: Extra info
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 2,444 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    How do BG know your home address?
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • ChrisMP
    • By ChrisMP 9th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMP
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    Sorry, should have mentioned this in the main post.

The property they are chasing me for is my old flat. For 2 months last year I was still tenant at the flat whilst my tenancy notice was being used up even though I'd bought a place on the other side of town. I changed my address on the account to my new place as I was still paying the bills.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:02 PM

The property they are chasing me for is my old flat. For 2 months last year I was still tenant at the flat whilst my tenancy notice was being used up even though I'd bought a place on the other side of town. I changed my address on the account to my new place as I was still paying the bills.
    Originally posted by ChrisMP
    If you are a legal tenant, then the supplier can look to you to pay the bills even if you live in a tent in the garden. The property will at the very least incur daily standing charges irrespective of power used. You cannot just move out and take your account with you. I trust that you contacted the Deemed Supplier at your present home when you moved in ?
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Nov 18, 6:06 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:06 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:06 PM

Did you ever call BG to tell them your tenancy was ending, and provide a closing meter read once ended to finalise your account?

Did you ever receive a final bill for that supply address?
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    Hi, really hoping that someone can help me with this issue.

I've been contacted by British Gas 3 times now where they are insisting that I am one of their customers for a property that I don't live in.

I've called British Gas 4 times and been told each time that it has been resolved and nothing to worry about ... but then I get another letter or a home visit. I've already put in a complaint to British Gas.

Can anyone give some advice on what I should do next?
    Feels like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall.

** Edit - The property they are chasing me for is my old flat. For 2 months last year I was still tenant at the flat whilst my tenancy notice was being used up even though I'd bought a place on the other side of town. I changed my address on the account to my new place as I was still paying the bills.

Thanks!
    Continue to follow their complaint procedure

Btw, what happened when they visited you at your new address?
    • ChrisMP
    • By ChrisMP 9th Nov 18, 6:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMP
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:17 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:17 PM
    Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I'm not a tenant at the property and haven't been since July 2017. I have an email confirmation from them to update my address and that confirmation that I moved out of the property.

Final bills for all utilities were paid up.

It turns out after being on the phone again to them that they have reopened the account because they think that I moved back in September 2018.

When they visited my house today they left a calling card to say that they read my meter. Hopefully the reader saw a different meter number than the one they were expecting.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 27,547 Posts
    • 13,516 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    You cannot change your address on your account; i.e. transfer the account. Your account with BG ceases when you move from the flat.

As indicated above, you are responsible for the bills on your previous flat whilst the tenancy is still in your name.

In your new property you will have an account number based on the address and meter(s) serial numbers.

It is important to appreciate that you will be on a legally binding 'deemed' contract with the company supplying the new property. If that company is British Gas, or any other company, you give them your details and meter readings for the day you took responsibility for the property and will be given an account number.

If the company is not British gas you can instigate switching to BGas or any other company.
    • ChrisMP
    • By ChrisMP 9th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMP
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    Hi Cardew

As I've said in the thread I'm being billed for a property that I don't own or currently live in. Final account was paid up in July 2017, and BG has opened up a new one in September 2018 thinking that I live there again.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 67,747 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Your tenancy finished July 2017, so you were not resposible for the bills at that address from that date.

You also say - or imply - that you left the flat 2 months before that, so this means that 2 months of standing charges are down to you.

How do you know that no energy was being used during those 2 months - was everything turned off?

When did you hand the keys back to the agent/landlord?

You further say BG think you moved back September 2018 - moved back where - the flat with the bill in dispute? - answer to this is yes, that's what they think and that's why they are pursuing you for payment.

Seems that they may well think that you took your account with you when you moved.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 6,557 Posts
    • 4,207 Thanks
    Hengus

I'm not a tenant at the property and haven't been since July 2017. I have an email confirmation from them to update my address and that confirmation that I moved out of the property.

It turns out after being on the phone again to them that they have reopened the account because they think that I moved back in September 2018.

When they visited my house today they left a calling card to say that they read my meter. Hopefully the reader saw a different meter number than the one they were expecting.
    You can resolve this in a very simple way. Provide the supplier with a copy of your tenancy agreement showing the end of tenancy date: note this may not be the same date as the day that you physically moved out. I would also check that the end date of the tenancy agreement and the Final Bill are the same.

PS A supplier can chase you for payment for a property that you no longer live in for up to 6 years.
    • ChrisMP
    • By ChrisMP 9th Nov 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChrisMP
    Your tenancy finished July 2017, so you were not resposible for the bills at that address from that date.

You also say - or imply - that you left the flat 2 months before that, so this means that 2 months of standing charges are down to you.

How do you know that no energy was being used during those 2 months - was everything turned off?

When did you hand the keys back to the agent/landlord?

You further say BG think you moved back September 2018 - moved back where - the flat with the bill in dispute? - answer to this is yes, that's what they think and that's why they are pursuing you for payment.

Seems that they may well think that you took your account with you when you moved.
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    Energy was being used in those 2 months and that was paid for in July 2017 after moving out plus the standing charges.

BG believe that I moved back into the flat either as the landlord or a tenant in September 2018. I've just spoken to the landlord who has confirmed that there's been another tenant in the flat since I moved out who has been paying the bills - which makes this situation make even less sense to me.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Nov 18, 6:52 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    wavelets

So are you on the phone to BG, as you seem to have made a lot of progress in the 20 mins from the previous post?

So your old accounts were closed and you have settled the final bills with them.

But BG think you moved back in a couple on months back.
    All you need now is to allow BG to investigate where they received that information from.

(I see the "home vist" you referred to was simply a meter reader come to take a reading from your new address
    I just hope the reader saw the meter they were expecting at your current address )

I do think 7 phone calls is a bit much if all this didn't until recently - i,.e within the last 8 weeks approximately.
    When did all this start if BG didn't think you had moved back in until about 8 weeks ago at the earliest.

You know a supplier has 8 weeks to resolve any complaint you made against them, don't you? I'm not sure when you rsied it initially, but I very much doubt it's anywhere approaching the 8 week limit yet, based on what the supplier seems to have told you within the last hour.
    Last edited by wavelets; 09-11-2018 at 7:01 PM.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    wavelets

So what exactly are BG chasing you about?
    If you were only supposed to have moved in 8 weeks ago, I doubt they've even produced a quarterly bill for you yet?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,567Posts Today

4,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin