Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tallmarky76
    • By Tallmarky76 9th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Tallmarky76
    entitled to any compensation
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    entitled to any compensation 9th Nov 18 at 3:26 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this post is in the right place but please move it if not correct.

My brother in law who is a carer for his 86 year old mother hasnt had a working phone line for 8 months even though they have been paying line rentral for all of that time.

He isnt technology savy, is quite disorganised, doesnt have the internet and didnt know what to do until we turned up last week and the subject came up.

I contacted BT who checked the line, found a fault and thus sent an openreach engineer out. After the engineer visit the line started working again and my brother in law said that the engineer said there was a fault with the line where it meets the pole in the street but when we contacted BT they said that the openreach engineers report stated tno fault found even though the line miraculously started working after his visit.

Im curious to know if they have any grounds for claiming any money back?

Kind regards Mark
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    • 6,887 Posts
    • 14,978 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this post is in the right place but please move it if not correct.

My brother in law who is a carer for his 86 year old mother hasnt had a working phone line for 8 months even though they have been paying line rentral for all of that time.

He isnt technology savy, is quite disorganised, doesnt have the internet and didnt know what to do until we turned up last week and the subject came up.

I contacted BT who checked the line, found a fault and thus sent an openreach engineer out. After the engineer visit the line started working again and my brother in law said that the engineer said there was a fault with the line where it meets the pole in the street but when we contacted BT they said that the openreach engineers report stated tno fault found even though the line miraculously started working after his visit.

Im curious to know if they have any grounds for claiming any money back?

Kind regards Mark
    Originally posted by Tallmarky76
    Doubtful for the following reasons:

1. No one told BT 8 months ago, so they had no opportunity to solve the issue. Thats the main issue, you cannot expect them to be psychic and detect a fault no one told them about.

2. You only have word of mouth that there has been an 8 month fault.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Nov 18, 3:41 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:41 PM
    Refund from the day you notify them of the problem to the fix date x line rental .
    • Tallmarky76
    • By Tallmarky76 10th Nov 18, 8:45 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tallmarky76
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:45 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:45 AM
    Hi both,

As i said i was curious as to whether anything could be claimed as i thought it wouldnt be possible.

My wife had been trying to phone them with no joy but at least its sorted now

Thanks for the replies Mark
    • meer53
    • By meer53 10th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 9,322 Posts
    • 13,586 Thanks
    meer53
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    Didn't your wife realise something was wrong after not being able to get through for 8 months ?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    Did your wife not ask BT to check the phone when she could not get through?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

7,811Users online

Martin's Twitter