Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fubar1953
    • By Fubar1953 9th Nov 18, 2:47 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fubar1953
    Duplicate State Pension Statement of Details?
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:47 PM
    Duplicate State Pension Statement of Details? 9th Nov 18 at 2:47 PM
    I'm just posting this in case anyone else is in the same boat and is confused as I am. Last March I received an Award Notice & Statement of Details from the DWP as I became 65 in April and was eligible for the state pension. The document outlined what the payments would be and when they would be made. Everything was fine, all the figures made sense and payments have been made every month on time. I today's post I received another envelope from DWP with exactly the same document I received back in March, only difference being this document is dated 3rd November but all the wording is exactly the same as the March version. I am assuming this just a glitch on the DWP's part and I just wondered if anyone else has received this duplicated documentation.
Page 1
    • Drummog
    • By Drummog 9th Nov 18, 7:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drummog
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:08 PM
    Something kind of similar but not the same.

I received a letter recently from HMRC answering a question I never asked then. It explained the reason for my personal allowance being reduced was to cover the fact that my state pension was paid gross and the reduction in the personal allowance was used to collect the tax on my state pension via my occupational pension provider.

As I said, I never asked HMRC the question but the letter advised it was a reply to my question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better sometimes to just let things happen.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    Are you sure the figures are all the same? Did you make any NI contributions last year? Was your birthday after 5th April?

If your birthday is after the 5th April, then your pension figure should have included the figure for the last financial year, which may or may not have made a difference to your outcome. It takes their left hand ages to update their right hand with figures so Nov would be about right.

The additional years contributions would have impacted some peoples state pension figure, eg someone who had been contracted out most of their working life. Provided you were receiving more than the current new state pension of about 164 pw then I believe I am correct in saying thatit will not have made any difference.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    They didn't explain it very well then!!

The Personal Allowance is only ever reduced because of adjusted net income exceeding 100k.

Your tax code would be lower because of State Pension being included within the calculation of your code. But your Personal Allowance remains the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,408Posts Today

7,148Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin