Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fruitbat04
    • By Fruitbat04 9th Nov 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fruitbat04
    Tesco / Highview Parking GDPR question
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:48 PM
    Tesco / Highview Parking GDPR question 9th Nov 18 at 1:48 PM
    Hi
    First post here, so here goes.

The car park scheme at Tesco's store in Faversham, Kent takes a photograph with a time stamp when a car enters the car park.
    Whilst paying for your shopping, you receive a parking voucher code, which you have to validate at a machine outside the store.
    You put in the last 3 letters of your registration, and a series of photographs appear, and you choose which car is yours, you scan the voucher and your parking is then validated.

The photographs are taken from the front of the vehicle, so can clearly see who is driving the vehicle and the time the vehicle entered the site.

Anybody can put in a registration number from any car at random in the car park into the terminal, and view a photographs of that car showing the time and date when it entered the car park, and showing who was driving.

I don't think this information should be available to be accessed by members of the public, let alone in a public space and think this is a breach of their data sharing policy.
    Am I correct?

It's easily sorted, by asking you to input the full registration number, or just having a close up picture of the registration number without the time stamp or view of the driver.
    Why don't they do this?
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 9,241 Posts
    • 12,172 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    Hi
    First post here, so here goes.

The car park scheme at Tesco's store in Faversham, Kent takes a photograph with a time stamp when a car enters the car park.
    Whilst paying for your shopping, you receive a parking voucher code, which you have to validate at a machine outside the store.
    You put in the last 3 letters of your registration, and a series of photographs appear, and you choose which car is yours, you scan the voucher and your parking is then validated.

The photographs are taken from the front of the vehicle, so can clearly see who is driving the vehicle and the time the vehicle entered the site.

Anybody can put in a registration number from any car at random in the car park into the terminal, and view a photographs of that car showing the time and date when it entered the car park, and showing who was driving.

I don't think this information should be available to be accessed by members of the public, let alone in a public space and think this is a breach of their data sharing policy.
    Am I correct?

It's easily sorted, by asking you to input the full registration number, or just having a close up picture of the registration number without the time stamp or view of the driver.
    Why don't they do this?
    Originally posted by Fruitbat04
    So, anyone can press the picture of another car ???

Normally we would suggest you contact Dave Lewis who is the CEO of Tesco but of late his customer executive staff seem to think that parking scammers are good for his business ???? Tesco's back their parking scammers. I acually don't know of anyone who shops at Tesco, surprised you do

Highview are easy to beat anyway using the standard template letter ....... now go to the Newbies thread and read
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Fruitbat04
    • By Fruitbat04 9th Nov 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fruitbat04
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:56 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:56 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, anyone can choose any random car in the car park and enter the last three letters.
    A selection of 8 photos then appears showing the time the cars pictured entered the car park and a view of the driver. One of these will be the vehicle matching the last three letters that have been input. The others are cars with 'similar' letter combinations (though not always)

I don't have a problem with limiting the time to visit the store. But have a big problem with the time when I entered the car park, and photo of me (the driver) being available for anyone to see.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Nov 18, 6:23 PM
    • 20,185 Posts
    • 31,857 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:23 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:23 PM
    I'd find somewhere else to shop as you surely can't be putting with that shiite every time you pop in for a pint of milk.

Write to the CEO and tell him why you're leaving and where he can stick this convoluted intrusion on customers' time and privacy.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin