Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joeyramone
    • By joeyramone 9th Nov 18, 1:44 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joeyramone
    Could this account swap work?
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:44 PM
    Could this account swap work? 9th Nov 18 at 1:44 PM
    Hi there, I would like to know whether stopping the account I have with VM in my name (giving them the correct 30 days notice and not currently in any contract) and the wife opening a new account in her name. I currently pay 89.59 for a 100mb BB connection and the XL tv package (no movies or sport) I never asked for the 100mb connection with each time VM saying I could get it from them as a free speed upgrade. We have been a bit hindered in the past as regards to shopping around as we do not have a phone line to the main pole. I now read some of the posts that suggest that the line could be installed by some companies as part of your new deal with them. I have been with VM since the days of Comcast but like you say loyalty means nothing these days so we rang VM to see if they could do us a better deal. The summer fiasco of lost channels and a rise of 4.01 was the final straw. The wife sees lot's of deals for new customers about 20 or more than we are paying and with the multitude of sites I use my NTLworld address on I thought if she took out a new contract with them then we'd get the better price for at least a year. Do you know whether this is a possibility.

Mikey B
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    could do with paragraphs 7/10.

I get lost towards the end. What did they say when you rang them?

If your wife signs up you will loose your email address.

Use the price rise notification to ring them within 30 days of receiving it, to say its too expensive, you are thinking of moving to NowTV for 25/month. You know its a bit slower at 40mbps, but its fine for your needs. Can they match that price?

Don't let the truth about not having a second line get in the way of saying that
    • joeyramone
    • By joeyramone 9th Nov 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joeyramone
    • 9th Nov 18, 4:25 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 4:25 PM
    Thanks for the reply AndyPK and sorry for the lack of paragraphs but once I get into full flow it just comes bursting out.

They could only offer us the four pounds raise back off, that's probably because we left it too long after receiving our price rise (and we didn't know that we had those 30 days in which we could ring anyway).
    I think I was more concerned the increase was four pounds and a bl**dy penny not that that four pounds wasn't enough. But it's still well short of new customer deals.
    I agree with you that the 40mbps speed would suffice but does the NowTv package have a similar package to the VM XL package, and it would be monthly payment right, and being able to leave whenever we wanted.

As you can tell I'm a little rusty dealing with new things as I started with Comcast in 1997 and haven't changed since then. Whatever happened to NTL eh.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    The thing is that 90pm is a lot to pay for TV and BB. Especially if (like many VM customers) you do not need the high speeds they provide.

Haggling in these scenarios can go in various directions, but I think the discussion so far is around these two options:-

1. Fully examine what you want/need and go and cost it with other providers. Work out if there are any special deals available that offer slightly less than you presently have, but could live with. Go back to your present provider and discuss it, fully intending to move if they do not come close to matching.

2. Find a broadly plausible alternative that is much cheaper. Take that back to the present provider, but be prepared for them to say that you get "so much more" from them than the new provider will give you.

Realistically, VM's XL TV is huge, and only Sky will genuinely compete. However, Now TV (and others) offer a package of the most popular channels which could suffice.

edit: Seems like VM has changed the names of their channel packages.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 09-11-2018 at 5:08 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    arh sorry, now the 25 didn't include TV. Did spot you were a TV customer
    • joeyramone
    • By joeyramone 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joeyramone
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    Hi guy's, thank you so much for all your help and advice. It's a bit of a minefield out there as you know but I'll tread carefully and plan my next move with great care.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Nov 18, 6:38 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:38 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:38 PM
    arh sorry, now the 25 didn't include TV. Did spot you were a TV customer
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    TV is cheap, though. 7.99pm. So 33pm for Fibre + TV, standard price - the OP is paying nearly 3 times that. Also worth checking for cashback.

Waiting to see what the Black Friday price will be. It was 99pa last year for TV+Movies (~8 pm).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Nov 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:49 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:49 PM
    XL tv has paid channels though, so be more than that
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin