Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 9th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lolaive
    County court claim
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    County court claim 9th Nov 18 at 1:14 PM
    Hi all.Apoligies if this has been covered already but I cannot find anything relating to this case .I am hoping someone may be able to help me . I have received a County Court Claim form from Northampton CC in relation to a claim made by Gladstones Solicitors. The claimant is saying I owe 246 roughly for a parking contravention on the land where I live. I have received no prior correspondence to this , only this CCC form. I just wondered how to proceed. I am going to acknowledge the claim and opt to defend it but cannot recall events of the day in question as it was last year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    Have you moved house since the date of the incident??

There is normally lots of correspondence prior to a Court claim
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    Hello.No I have not moved house but my wife has just made me aware that there was a picture of the car sent to our address some months back.She says that as the picture of the car had no ticket on the windscreen and didnt show any surrounding areas and signage , she just threw it in the bin thinking it was scammers. She says the letter was from UKCPM who are the people that patrol the estate.
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    Plenty of threads here relating to "own space" claims and UKCPM, so get searching. But first, make sure you read the NEWBIES thread, which details what you must now do relating to the claim. DO NOT miss any deadlines, or you'll lose by default. There's no way you will be paying 246, even If you end up losing (which you won't - these kind of claims are easily defended, as their case is so weak).
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 9th Nov 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:09 PM
    Can you tell us a bit more about how the parking works on your estate (is it private, council or Housing Association)?

Do you have your own allocated space, for example? Or are there no allocated spaces and everyone who is a resident has a permit which allows them to park in the car park etc etc
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    Hello.No I have not moved house but my wife has just made me aware that there was a picture of the car sent to our address some months back.She says that as the picture of the car had no ticket on the windscreen and didnt show any surrounding areas and signage , she just threw it in the bin thinking it was scammers. She says the letter was from UKCPM who are the people that patrol the estate.
    Originally posted by lolaive
    Maybe other correspondence (including the lbcca) arrived but she binned it too??
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Nov 18, 2:38 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 10,358 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:38 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:38 PM
    Thanked 10,325 Times in 6,331 Posts

246 is tantamount to fraud imo, a lot more than the law allows. The solicitors know this but hope to sucker you into paying.

Even if they won their claim in court, which is unlikely, the most a judge is likely to award would be 175 - 200, the rest is think of a number money.

I suggest that that you complain to the regulatory body, the SRA about this demand for unlawful costs.

http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

Also, complain to your MP

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week, hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. It has even been suggested that some of these companies have links with organised crime.

Watch the video of the Second Reading and committee stage in the House of Commons recently. MPs have a very low opinion of this industry.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-07-19/debates/2b90805c-bff8-4707-8bdc-b0bfae5a7ad5/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill(FirstSitting)

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business in the not too distant future.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 9th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    Hi. Yes we live on the estate and it is on private property for which UKCPM manage the parking. We rent from Notting Hill Genesis Housing .I am not going to lie , it is parking for permit holders only but not everyone that lives on the estate is entitled to a parking space and it really is not fair that people , some of whom have children have to park their car on a poorly lit road and walk into the estate.I know this is no defence just a grievance really. We are not the only property to have been bothered by these people as talking to my neighbours earlier I foundl out.I just wanted to know really whether to enter defence notes now when I return the claim form or just acknowledge and notify the court I am defending the claim and enter defence notes at a later date. Thanks guys.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Nov 18, 3:07 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:07 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:07 PM
    Before you do anything read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum

#2 there covers Court claims right through to the hearing

Your questions regarding AOS are answered there together with a link to a step by step guide to competing the form
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Nov 18, 3:16 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    ...... complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business in the not too distant future.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Irrespective of your 100000 thanks, this is wildly unrealistic

OP don't miss any deadlines when dealing with this thinking that this PPC will be out of business so no need to worry about this issue!
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 9th Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    Thank you for the replies guys . I seem to be having a bit of dificulty finding the NEWBIES thread.Can anyone point me in the right direction to find it please.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    Quentin
    Go to the list of threads in this forum

The newbies FAQ thread is near the top of the list on page 1
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 9th Nov 18, 6:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    Ok great thank you.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 10,358 Thanks
    The Deep
    Irrespective of your 100000 thanks, this is wildly unrealistic

In your opinion. In my opinion your opinion has little merit.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Nov 18, 11:38 PM
    • 10,525 Posts
    • 10,924 Thanks
    KeithP
    lolaive, what is the Issue Date on your Claim Form?
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 10th Nov 18, 7:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    Hello. Well.... I arrived home last night to find ANOTHER court claim form from the same court and claimant but this time claiming for roughly 425 for the alleged same offence.Again , first ive heard of it.The first claim is dated 7 November and yesterdays one is dated 8 November.They allege the driver has committed the alleged breach.How can I know who was driving 11 months ago and why a different amount this time?These people really are sharks.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Nov 18, 7:36 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I think you need to check with your wife what she has been throwing out. As @Quentin suggested earlier she may have lobbed out quite a lot

Otherwise, you do need to get into gear with responding. I assume from your earlier reply that you don't have a permit? Is that because there aren't enough spaces for all the residents?
    • lolaive
    • By lolaive 10th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lolaive
    Yes that is basically it. I plan to respond online on Monday once I have spoken to neighbours to see how they are playing it . I think im just going to notify the court if my defence and not bother with writing any defence notes YET and see what becomes of that.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Nov 18, 8:11 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Is there anything in your tenancy agreement about parking?

Without wishing to sound like the voice of doom if you have been parking regularly without a permit and your wife has been trashing correspondence there may be more out there.

I am not defending the PPC and agree with what has been said about the extortionate amounts involved. Just trying to be realistic and to understand your full position.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Nov 18, 8:35 AM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 10,358 Thanks
    The Deep
    You said

I owe 246 roughly for a parking contravention on the land where I live.

you then went on to say

I arrived home last night to find ANOTHER court claim form from the same court and claimant but this time claiming for roughly 425 for the alleged same offence

So, they are alleging that your wonton disregard for their overweening terms and conditions has so damaged them that they need 670 to put the matter right, outageous. I wonder what a judge would think of the claim. What precisely have you done, set fire to their head office?

Involve your MP immediately. Also, if they are a registered charity, (most HAs are), complain long and loud to HM Charity Commissioners,

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/charity-commission

Charities should not be getting into bed with this scum.

Have you contacted your local radio station and paper, also, the Daily Mail is vey interested in these scams. Does the HA have a webpage or Facebook page? If so write bad stuff on it.

I too own a HA property, and know how arrogant and obstructive they can be. I am involved in a parking dispute with them, presently with the Housing Ombudsman, and, if I prevail it will cost the s.
    Last edited by The Deep; 10-11-2018 at 8:39 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin