Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 9th Nov 18, 1:05 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 28Thanks
    whambam
    Bus, Taxi, Cyclist Drivers
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:05 PM
    Bus, Taxi, Cyclist Drivers 9th Nov 18 at 1:05 PM
    They all now have dash cams and cyclist have cameras on their heads can they report you if your in a bus or taxi lane or driving bad? If they do do they go to the police or elsewhere and does anyone actually ever get done like a fine?
Page 1
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 9th Nov 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:43 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:43 PM
    Presumably bus lanes reported to local enforcement authority and "bad driving" to police.

Pretty certain dash cams have been used to initiate careless/dangerous driving etc. (In fact many people "report" themselves by posting incriminating videos on Youtube!).

In fact there is one on Youtube where a dashcam showed the car in front driving erratically and running over a pedestrian at a crossing. The following car pursued the driver and when she stopped discovered she was pi55ed.

Don't know about bus lanes.
    • fred990
    • By fred990 9th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fred990
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    First prosecution from dash cam footage happened a while ago. Some clown in a vw golf overtaking if I remember correctly.

'Nextbase' I think is an upload site? Probably dodgy drivers and not bus lanes.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 9th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    Many police authorities now encourage people to upload dashcam footage and they will prosecute where appropriate:

Eg: https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-and-vehicle-safety/submit-dashcam-footage/
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date 2,108
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th Nov 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:35 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:35 PM
    But be warned, they also look at the driving/riding and behaviour of the uploader of the video as well.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 9th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 14,635 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    But be warned, they also look at the driving/riding and behaviour of the uploader of the video as well.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    As they should. In some of those videos on YouTube showing bad driving, the driving of the "camera car" doesn't bear close inspection.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    whambam
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    What about for minor offences such as going into a bus lane or taxi route by mistake or you have no option due to like hazard lights or accident?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    I upload the odd stupid incident from car and bike cameras but only for youtube use, the dash cam clip shows are quite good fun but they rarely get reported unless it's something serious. If someone happens to hit me then they will be given to the police/insurer to prove guilt.

I did happen to catch one incident of a collision between a bike and a car that I provided to them for insurance purposes but I've never felt the need to ring up the police - the plate alone isn't really proof unless you can prove the driver (check the case of a cyclist being hit from behind by an aggressive driver that resulted in 2x 6 points for failing to name the driver as the camera couldn't identify the driver).

I often find as well what you see isn't always what the camera catches - I saw a guy watching TV on his mobile as he was driving but the camera on my bike was too high to see it. The footage particularly at night often doesn't catch the plates.

Go on youtube and there are 3 or 4 well known popular channels (UK bad drivers exposed, UK dash cams, Welshdrive off the top of my head) and if you do drive stupidly you may well end up on there.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 9th Nov 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:40 PM
    People must have a lot of time on their hands if they are uploading or passing on every instance of bad driving they record.

I have a camera on one of my cycling helmets, and a dashcam in my car. I rarely if ever even view anything. My car ones gets overwritten and my bike ones gets deleted. I only look at them if I feel there has been something dramatically bad that put me in danger. Sometimes I find the incident doesn't look as bad as it felt at the time.

The only time I referred anything to the police they said they couldn't view the file on their computers at work, could I come in and play it to them. I didn't bother.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    treboeth
    People must have a lot of time on their hands if they are uploading or passing on every instance of bad driving they record.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    But you could be saving lives.

Just imagine a puppy or a kitten carrying a basketful of nuns was endangered by a rogue unicyclist
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    James2k
    I upload the odd stupid incident from car and bike cameras but only for youtube use, the dash cam clip shows are quite good fun but they rarely get reported unless it's something serious. If someone happens to hit me then they will be given to the police/insurer to prove guilt.

I did happen to catch one incident of a collision between a bike and a car that I provided to them for insurance purposes but I've never felt the need to ring up the police - the plate alone isn't really proof unless you can prove the driver (check the case of a cyclist being hit from behind by an aggressive driver that resulted in 2x 6 points for failing to name the driver as the camera couldn't identify the driver).

I often find as well what you see isn't always what the camera catches - I saw a guy watching TV on his mobile as he was driving but the camera on my bike was too high to see it. The footage particularly at night often doesn't catch the plates.

Go on youtube and there are 3 or 4 well known popular channels (UK bad drivers exposed, UK dash cams, Welshdrive off the top of my head) and if you do drive stupidly you may well end up on there.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    in my experience its 45% the cam cars bad driving 45% someone making the slightest mistake possible such as making a tiny swerve to avoid a leaf etc and 10% good stuff.

some of the things people upload are the most non event things possible and it does make one wonder about the people uploading them.

still watch uk bad drivers exposed every friday though
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Nov 18, 10:24 PM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    in my experience its 45% the cam cars bad driving 45% someone making the slightest mistake possible such as making a tiny swerve to avoid a leaf etc and 10% good stuff.

some of the things people upload are the most non event things possible and it does make one wonder about the people uploading them.

still watch uk bad drivers exposed every friday though
    Originally posted by James2k

Yeah the ones who accelerate into roundabouts or similar to manufacture incidents are fairly terrible drivers, a lot of them are massive overreactions or just poor planning. People who use the horn before braking or just use the horn where they shouldn't (like at night) for no good reason annoy me too
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 2,811 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Originally posted by James2k
    There's a guy who is a truck "driver" who posts as Trucker Jay on Youtube who seems for the few years he's been driving to have more incidents in a week than I've had in years. Many of the things he's uploaded unless he really is entirely braindead he has deliberately caused for Youtube footage including damaging people's property and vehicles where there was absolutely no need to and on the trucking forums he is regularly lambasted for his muppetry. Quite how he still has a job I don't know because if I was his employer watching those videos I'd be handing him his notice. Hate to think how much their insurance is now.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I have dashcams and I've sent clips in to the popular dashcam clip YouTube channels in the past. Only stuff that doesn't incriminate me and usually only like 10 seconds where the incident happened.

Certainly not interested in uploading my back catalogue to the police so they can do me for any minor offences they deem fit.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 10th Nov 18, 12:11 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    James2k
    There's a guy who is a truck "driver" who posts as Trucker Jay on Youtube who seems for the few years he's been driving to have more incidents in a week than I've had in years. Many of the things he's uploaded unless he really is entirely braindead he has deliberately caused for Youtube footage including damaging people's property and vehicles where there was absolutely no need to and on the trucking forums he is regularly lambasted for his muppetry. Quite how he still has a job I don't know because if I was his employer watching those videos I'd be handing him his notice. Hate to think how much their insurance is now.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    haha, i've actually seen some of his stuff a year or so ago. I did hear he had a bit of a rep
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 10th Nov 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Tilt
    Looking at some of the You-Tube clips posted by cyclists, it would appear that helmet cams have turned some cyclists into 'policemen' (or so they think).

Can't help thinking that some of these 'helmets' go out simply to seek out motorists who are having an off day and post them on You-Tube. Sad really.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 10th Nov 18, 1:53 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    James2k
    Looking at some of the You-Tube clips posted by cyclists, it would appear that helmet cams have turned some cyclists into 'policemen' (or so they think).

Can't help thinking that some of these 'helmets' go out simply to seek out motorists who are having an off day and post them on You-Tube. Sad really.
    Originally posted by Tilt
    invariably they are called Nigel
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Nov 18, 4:47 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Where does data protection figure in all this? Surely must not be legal to film people without warning and then use that film against them in some way?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Nov 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I thought it was perfectly ok to film people in a public place(?).

I'm sure that on programmes like Police interceptors the TV crew's footage would be admissible in evidence if required.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    wongataa
    Where does data protection figure in all this? Surely must not be legal to film people without warning and then use that film against them in some way?
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    It is perfectly legal in public places, such as on the roads.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin