Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Money Advice Service
    What kind of things do you find your children pestering you for?
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    What kind of things do you find your children pestering you for? 9th Nov 18 at 12:40 PM
    How do you deal with it? Any tips?

This thread is part of a Hub post aimed at helping people new to personal finance start a conversation on it. It’s aimed at newbies, so please be patient with anyone posting on here.

We’re verified representatives of the Money Advice Service, working with MoneySavingExpert on a Hub and series of posts as part of Talk Money Week to encourage people new to personal finance to discuss money. If you have any questions please ask below or get in touch with a member of the Forum Team.

We'd love it if you got involved with our other #TalkMoney week conversations we've started. Check out our hub with all the links - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921799
    Last edited by Money Advice Service; 12-11-2018 at 3:01 PM. Reason: More info
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Money Advice Service. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 9th Nov 18, 1:16 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:16 PM
    Sweets and screen time.
    Sweets are only allowed at the weekend,
    Screen time is only allowed in the evening after earning a certain amount of time from doing chores / homework etc.
    There are no exceptions so pestering does nothing for them, and in fact will hinder their chances of getting the things they want when they are allowed.
    • mikeeboy
    • By mikeeboy 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    mikeeboy
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    Fortnite VBucks
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 9th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    Drugs but I just let them know it's ok cause we can share the syringes
    Originally posted by SuperPikachu
    Eugh,
    I thought all the school kids had gone back to school now.
    Reported.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 9th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 1,621 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    _shel
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    Fortnite VBucks
    Originally posted by mikeeboy
    Yes mine too. I feel for him but I can't think of anything worse to spend money on.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 10,576 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    Robux - not going to happen

Lego - she has to pay for it out of her pocket/ birthday/ Xmas money. We look in the Lego shop and then check the prices online to find out where it's cheapest. She's only eight but she's definitely her mother's daughter when looking for a bargain
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    • 38,149 Posts
    • 160,410 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    Data (for their mobiles)
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 39,186 Posts
    • 36,099 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    Lifts. Often at short notice, with the youngest.

It improved once he started sixth form and bought a bike, it was almost a point of pride not to ask for a lift for a while after that. Unless it was to a cricket match, when he didn't fancy taking all his kit on his bike.

He learned that asking at a week's notice got better results than asking at a day's notice, and asking at an hour's notice would often get a 'do you see the car out there?' response, because DH and I shared a car and both of us had very hectic lives!

Anyway, when he did give a sensible amount of notice, he also learned that my first response would be "have you ... done the washing up / put your clothes away / tidied your bedroom / done your homework ..." so he would do whatever he thought I'd ask about before asking.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 4,889 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    When they were little (a long time ago now) sweets after school was my main problem. And if I'd had a hard day, I would give in. But that's not how I wanted it to be, so in the end I said no to sweets except on a Friday afternoon. In fact, I made a bit of a joke about it, saying they HAD to have sweets on a Friday, whether they wanted them or not.

I was a childminder at the time, so I came to an arrangement with the parents that I would charge them up to a maximum of 50p for sweets (it was a long time ago, but I childminded a lot of kids - didn't want to spend all my profit!!). We used to form our own queue in the sweet shop. One boy asked me very nicely if, instead of buying sweets, he could get football stickers instead. Well, they were about the same price, and better of his teeth, so we were both happy!!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 20,445 Posts
    • 34,034 Thanks
    Spendless
    Surely it depends on the age of the child.

Once upon a time it would be packets of Moshi Monsters or Littlest pet shop toys.

Nowadays it's clothes or make up, especially eye brow stuff, acrylic nails, food when they're out.

From the age that they've understood money though, they've been quite happy to spend 'my' money, giving them the cash and tell them you're not providing anymore and suddenly they think far more about the price of stuff.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 10th Nov 18, 5:58 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Robux - not going to happen

Lego - she has to pay for it out of her pocket/ birthday/ Xmas money. We look in the Lego shop and then check the prices online to find out where it's cheapest. She's only eight but she's definitely her mother's daughter when looking for a bargain
    Originally posted by LilElvis

Have a look on Freecycle for Lego. I've had one lot of Duplo and two lots of Lego in the past year. They needed a good wash, but it's worth it.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 10th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I don't remember much pestering. I did as I had when I was a child. They all had regular pocket money to spend on their own things and that was that as far as extras went so they didn't bother asking.

When they were old enough we opened bank accounts and I paid pocket money by standing order and they learned how to use the bank and budget. Sweets or a computer game ? Well lets just say they didn't have many fillings

My boys weren't interested in clothes but when I was a teen of course I wanted new clothes and so I was given a monthly clothing allowance which really helped me learn to budget. A friend's mother assumed I would spend it all and then be asking for money for new school plimsoles etc but I explained to her about keeping money back for things like that !

I think a huge amount of pestering is down to family attitudes, if parents are careful with money and 'no means no', then children won't pester , maybe ask politely now and again. If parents give in to pestering once then it will always be worth the kids trying again and again ....
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 10th Nov 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    Mine donít really pester. They get sweets regularly, but donít always eat them. I donít believe in restriction in that respect because that just makes them want more. Mine know theyíre allowed them pretty regularly, so theyíre not actually too bothered.

They both have screen time, but again, thatís just as and when, after theyíve done homework, read etc. Both usually would rather play outside.
    CC1 - £8115.92
    CC2 - £758.43
    Parent Loan £1500

Total £10,374.35
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Nov 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 10,576 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Have a look on Freecycle for Lego. I've had one lot of Duplo and two lots of Lego in the past year. They needed a good wash, but it's worth it.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    She's got boxes full of odd bricks - it's the sets she wants. Emma's Art Cafe arrived Friday She spends ages watching YouTube videos of a mad Aussie woman building Lego sets. She could build sets marked as age 16+ when she was 5 .... she's obsessed with the stuff.
    • nomorekids
    • By nomorekids 11th Nov 18, 4:26 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    nomorekids
    Dance classes, and dance related stuff such as new dance tights and leotards and pointe shoes.

Drives me bonkers that she dances most days of the week and as soon as there is day off, she's begging to attend dance classes in London and wants money for fare and class

The other one is no better with music score

Cant be rich and have kids
    If you want to be rich, never get married and most definitely never have kids
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 11th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    owen_money
    Money!!!!! 'Dad can I just borrow £100 till payday', which means 'Dad can I have a hundred quid, which you'll never see again'!
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 16th Nov 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9,265 Posts
    • 22,117 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Any more tips on this?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 16th Nov 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 5,576 Thanks
    Fen1
    Nomorekids: have a look on Trash Nothing/ Freegle/ Freecycle for sheet music and scores. I've picked up some fascinating stuff, and a lot of random things, too.
    It's worth asking choirs and singing groups if they have extra or old copies. I have several folders full of past performance photocopied scores, some of which I'll probably never use again.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 16th Nov 18, 1:02 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    Any more tips on this?
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Proper ones? Or more silly ones
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Nov 18, 2:52 PM
    • 38,149 Posts
    • 160,410 Thanks
    silvercar
    Mine are that much older now, so the requests change. Latest one is to borrow suitcases and help with dentist bills!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter