How much do you think you’ll need to save up to retire on?

Comments

• Money_Advice_Service
    Money_Advice_Service Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary
    50-60% of your current income is usually considered a good benchmark to aim for. This assumes you have paid off your mortgage and the majority of any outstanding debts though. (MAS Andrew - DipPFS)
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Money Advice Service. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bugslet wrote: »
    He's an expert in investments

Good idea, but that's not investing, that's understanding the tax regime which hopefully he knows about too.
  • Money_Advice_Service
    First Anniversary
    When you consider the average pension pot in the UK is around 30,000 your doing very well with regards saving towards your retirement subject to your income expectations.

Quick warning though. Accessing your pension before 55 will usually be treated as an unauthorised payment by HRMC and could be subject to a 55% tax charge.

(MAS-Andrew DipPFS)
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Money Advice Service. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    50-60% of your current income is usually considered a good benchmark to aim for.

(Note that the post I've quoted doesn't actually appear to be in reply to anything said so far...)

That's about as, if not actually less, useful than "half your age as a percentage of your salary when you start saving."

Is there an actual point to this thread, or is someone bored at the Money Advice Service?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Money_Advice_Service
    First Anniversary
    Money held both in an iSA and a Pension is tax free. The key difference is that with a pension you qualify for tax relief on money going in but money going out (or at least some of it) is taxed as income. While contributions going into an ISA has already effectively been taxed and is untaxed when leaving the ISA.

(MAS-Andrew DipPFS) #talkmoney
    Verified Company
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    bugslet wrote: »
    s as I wind my business up and reach the point at which i could potentially take 25% of the pension

Couldn't you sell the business on as a going concern and make a few extra quid from it??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 5:47PM
    How close are you to that goal? Do you wish you started earlier?

I started when I was 24 years old back in 2010. I wished that I started back in 2008 when the stock market was even lower and when I started working for my employer. Unfortunately, my employer doesn't contribute anything back then so didn't bother with the pension.

At the age of 32, I still got a long way to go. My goal is to retire at whenever the earliest I can access my pension pot (at 66% of my current salary) so, the idea that Treasury is mentioning that it is going to be ten years before SPA, it is 58, so got 26 years down the line to go. According to HL calculator, I would need to invest and hope for an excellent return to get a pension pot of £820k to get an index-linked annuity of £18,500 (rising at 3%). As someone with the 65k pension pot, that is a goal that seems impossible to meet, especially someone who wants to get a guaranteed annuity when retiring.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    especially someone who wants to get a guaranteed annuity when retiring

This is an expensive option when you are young (I mean 58).
    Why not drawdown and then if you're keen on a guaranateed income get an annuity when you're much older?

Either way it's a massive decision so you need professional advice at the time.
    Ages and the tax regime may be very different then.
    We may even have an antibiotics apocalypse !
    I don't think you can plan in too much detail at your age, but it's good that you recognise now that you need to put a LOT in if you want a 30 year retirement. Many don't seem to realise that or prioritise it.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    50-60% of your current income is usually considered a good benchmark to aim for. This assumes you have paid off your mortgage and the majority of any outstanding debts though. (MAS Andrew - DipPFS)
    This figure only applies if you have a good income when working , with some spare money every month to go into savings, pensions etc
    If you have a low paid job and struggling to make ends meet , then you need close to 100% of earnings in retirement otherwise you will not cope.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When you consider the average pension pot in the UK is around 30,000 your doing very well with regards saving towards your retirement subject to your income expectations.

Quick warning though. Accessing your pension before 55 will usually be treated as an unauthorised payment by HRMC and could be subject to a 55% tax charge.

(MAS-Andrew DipPFS)

This £30k average, does it allow for the fact that some/many will have more than one pot?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure