Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wysfbw
    • By wysfbw 9th Nov 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    wysfbw
    Changed supplier. no electricity.
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:32 PM
    Changed supplier. no electricity. 9th Nov 18 at 12:32 PM
    I changed from eon to utilita over a week ago. During the switch I had an 8 day holiday already booked so I phoned and asked if my supply would be switched off during my trip because I was able to rearrange the trip if I had to be at home for the switch. I also said my mum who lives around the corner from me could go to my flat and sort the meter out if anything needed doing and was told no. I was told i would not loose supply at all. So i went on the trip and topped up my energy using the app which went through and was showing the credit i put on. The credit went down each day.

Got home last night at midnight and my lights would not switch on. Checked my meter and found it flashing saying to press certain buttons. The supply then came on.

I have come home to a freezer full of rotting watery food. My flat stinks of mouldly food. My pc, monitor, keyboard and mouse will not switch on at all.

I am writing to ask anyone with experience of switching energy suppliers, does the supply get switched off during the switch?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Nov 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:38 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:38 PM
    Nothing to do with your switch as nobody visits your home.

You've either got an internal fault - have you a trip switch ? or a failure of the incoming supply to the property. Have you neighbours been involved ? Or you didn't put enough credit on via the app ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Nov 18, 12:46 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:46 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:46 PM
    I changed from eon to utilita over a week ago. During the switch I had an 8 day holiday already booked so I phoned and asked if my supply would be switched off during my trip because I was able to rearrange the trip if I had to be at home for the switch. I also said my mum who lives around the corner from me could go to my flat and sort the meter out if anything needed doing and was told no. I was told i would not loose supply at all. So i went on the trip and topped up my energy using the app which went through and was showing the credit i put on. The credit went down each day.

Got home last night at midnight and my lights would not switch on. Checked my meter and found it flashing saying to press certain buttons. The supply then came on.

I have come home to a freezer full of rotting watery food. My flat stinks of mouldly food. My pc, monitor, keyboard and mouse will not switch on at all.

I am writing to ask anyone with experience of switching energy suppliers, does the supply get switched off during the switch?
    Originally posted by wysfbw
    You are asking if anyone else with a PPM has ever found the power go off because they have run out of credit?

Yes, quite a few. Fortunately, the supplier allows emergency credit for just such occurences.

No, there is no interuption to your energy supply caused by a change of supplier. It is the same energy, coming through the same cables or pipes. It's just the company that you pay (and provides you with customer service) that changes.
    Last edited by wavelets; 09-11-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Nov 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:38 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:38 PM
    If you left the house with insufficient credit in the meter and didn't top-it up before it ran out then that was probably the cause of the problem.

I think you've got to be there to apply emergency credit - so if you tried doing it remotely after the credit had run out then I suspect that it doesn't automatically reconnect. I dont know how the emergency credit is applied or for how long, whether it's automatically or if you have to press buttons on the meter

As said above suppliers dont shut off your leccy when you swap but if it runs out then the meter shouldn't autoswitch back on just in case there are heaters or cookers etc that have been left on - you should have to initiate the switch yourself to avoid burning the house down.
    Last edited by matelodave; 09-11-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Igol
    • By Igol 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Igol
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    I switched to Utilita and had a similar problem.
    Ran down the credit on the meter as they say to do and when I topped up their key and put it in the British Gas electric meter I had no power at all, credit was showing but the electric was totally dead.
    I currently have an on going complaint with them and I've found them totally useless so far at resolving issues and almost impossible to get hold of. They seen very keen to avoid using email and putting anything in black and white and want it all on the phone (if you can get through to them) then they can claim that their recordings 'prove' you haven't mentioned things that were already mentioned in email.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,617Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter