Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 9th Nov 18, 10:51 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    alienuk
    Letter from Estate Agent
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:51 AM
    Letter from Estate Agent 9th Nov 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hi All - I am looking for some help from experts here.
    I would like to start with 'thanks' for your time to answer this query.
    I am living as a tenant in a 2 Bed flat with my wee ones aged 7 and 4 who are attending classes at the nearest primary school .
    I received a letter from an estate agency saying that the Landlord has sadly passed away and they are acting on behalf of the executors of the landlord and asked for access into the property for the surveyors.
    I am new to how this works and would like to know what will be the likely next steps? Will I be asked to vacate the flat at short notice? I am worried as my wee ones are in the middle of the term.
    Experts here , can you please advise my rights please?
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Nov 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 13,180 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:42 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:42 AM
    You can be asked to vacate at whatever the notice period is on your agreement.

You dont have to leave immediately or when the date of that is, and depending what your plans are you can drag it out for months, until you are evicted by bailiffs if thats whats needed to get you a council property.
    If you intend to be privately renting then start looking now and move on your own timescale.

You may find that the new owners wish you to move quickly and will pay to encourage you to move, or will want you to stay to defer expenses, or might even decide to become landlords and continue with you. No way to know but the fact its a surveyor hints they wish to sell with you gone.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 9th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    Hi All - I am looking for some help from experts here.
    I would like to start with 'thanks' for your time to answer this query.
    I am living as a tenant in a 2 Bed flat with my wee ones aged 7 and 4 who are attending classes at the nearest primary school .
    I received a letter from an estate agency saying that the Landlord has sadly passed away and they are acting on behalf of the executors of the landlord and asked for access into the property for the surveyors.
    I am new to how this works and would like to know what will be the likely next steps? Will I be asked to vacate the flat at short notice? I am worried as my wee ones are in the middle of the term.
    Experts here , can you please advise my rights please?
    Originally posted by alienuk
    The landlord's passing does NOT directly affect your rights under your tenancy agreement. The executors and eventually the LL's beneficiaries or the buyer if the property is sold, will simple step into the shoes of you landlord.

Whoever your landlord is at the time, they can evict by serving the correct notice + obtaining a court order per your contract and/or statutory law.. as a minumum you have 4+ months, but please answer:
    1) where the property is (England/Wales/Scotland/NI)
    2) Tenancy dates (Start date, fixed term end date)
    3) Tenancy periods (monthly?)
    4) Clauses in last AST you have referring to notice or what happens after the fixed term
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 9th Nov 18, 1:03 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:03 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:03 PM
    Many thanks for your response
    Here are the answers
    1) where the property is (England/Wales/Scotland/NI)
    Scotland
    2) Tenancy dates (Start date, fixed term end date)
    Commenced early 2016 and the term mentioned on agreement was 6 months and then it goes monthly roll over contract.
    3) Tenancy periods (monthly?)
    Yes monthly rent of 850£
    4) Clauses in last AST you have referring to notice or what happens after the fixed term
    I think this is answered in (2)
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 9th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    Thanks for your response - I am keen to stay for another 8 months when the school term finish after by then I should find a new property to move. This is a popular school catchment area and I am going to find it difficult to find another property within my budget.
    Winter is truly coming!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Nov 18, 1:09 PM
    • 60,994 Posts
    • 54,195 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:09 PM
    The executors of the estate will wish to have the property valued for probate purposes. Via the agent enquire what their intentions are for the property. Probate may take some time to be granted. Opening a dialogue will do no harm. As better to be fully informed than speculate and worry unnecessarily.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 13,180 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    In Scotland? OK disregard my answers entirely. I should have checked that, my apologies.
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 9th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    Thanks - Do you think Scottish laws are less stricter !?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    • 11,417 Posts
    • 13,180 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 9th Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    I think Scottish laws are more in favour of the tenant but different enough I have no idea how it works with evictions and special cases such as death of landlord.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 9th Nov 18, 4:53 PM
    • 9,910 Posts
    • 13,481 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Thank agent for their kind letter: Ask where in the tenancy agreement it says they have a right of entry for surveyors (bet it doesn't). But it may be wise to be flexible, but ask anyway.

Were you served an AT5 form prior to you 1st signing tenancy? If not then it an AT not an SAT (there is no such thing as an AST in Scotland) and you can pretty much stay as long as you like if you keep paying the rent.

Also ask for copies of documents - proof of authority of executors, proof that executors have instructed agent to act for executors. And date landlord sadly died (executors must be registered landlords within 6 months of death, but probably don't know this). See
    http://www.lindsays.co.uk/news-and-insights/insights/executor-landlords-what-are-your-obligations
    - call me cynical but just because an agent says something doesn't mean it's true.

Any issues, check shelter scotland website
    https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice
    - or call their helpline 0808 800 4444, 9-5 Mon-Fri (Scotland).

A Scottish landlord is entitled to sell a property with a tenant living there. But the tenancy continues, with new owner becoming landlord, almost no change of tenancy terms. See "Lease Act 1449", still on statute books -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/aosp/1449/6/contents
    Item it is ordanit for the sauftie and fauour of the pure pepil that labouris the grunde that thai and al vthiris that has takyn or sal tak landis in tym to !!! fra lordis and has termes and yeris thereof that suppose the lordis sel or analy thai landis that the takaris sall remayn with thare takis on to the ische of thare termes quhais handis at euir thai landis !!! to for sic lik male as thai tuk thaim of befoir . ...
    - unfortunately the MSE censorship code has a problem with some valid old Scots words...

Surveyors may just want to value the place for probate, and inheritor may be happy to continue with you as tenant, but we haven't a clue at this stage: Good luck!

Slàinte mhath!
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 09-11-2018 at 5:02 PM.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 9th Nov 18, 4:57 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    Regardless of what has happened you still have a valid contract which must be honoured by the estate, they cant just kick you out immediately. They have to abide by the terms of your contract, which for an AST could be as short as a few months if you cooperate, or longer if you resist eviction and they have to go through the courts to get you to move out. It may also take some time for the executors to be granted probate and be able to act on the estate's behalf, so there is no imminent risk of this happening.

That said, it may help to be prepared. As has been mentioned, it may help to try asking what the intent of the new owners is - they may be happy to keep you on as tenants, or they may be looking to sell and wrap things up quickly - but it won't hurt to ask so you can then start thinking about where to go from there.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 9th Nov 18, 5:03 PM
    • 9,910 Posts
    • 13,481 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    This is Scotland!

It's not an AST!!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Nov 18, 6:14 PM
    • 11,171 Posts
    • 9,531 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    In Scotland? OK disregard my answers entirely. I should have checked that, my apologies.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    The use of the term "wee one" is an indication a poster could be Scottish.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The use of the term "wee one" is an indication a poster could be Scottish.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Not all Scots live in Scotland though
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Nov 18, 6:44 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 17,465 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Thank agent for their kind letter: Ask where in the tenancy agreement it says they have a right of entry for surveyors (bet it doesn't). But it may be wise to be flexible, but ask anyway.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    They need to value the property - as has been stated, for probate. They need to ask for access, because you have a right to quiet enjoyment. It would be unreasonable to refuse access.

That doesn't indicate anything about what the future intentions are, or who your future landlord will be. Maybe the property will be inherited by a family member who's quite happy for you to stay there. Maybe they'll sell it with sitting tenant. Maybe you'll get notice tomorrow. Nobody can guess.
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 11th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    Hi there -Many thanks , I found the below from Shelter Scotland and applies to my situation.

If your landlord sells the property or the landlord dies and passed new owner, the new owner will have to honour the terms of your lease. This means they won't be able to evict you without a good reason, and they won't be able to raise the rent without going through the proper procedures.
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 11th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    Few responses asked for the letter content, the Letter reads like this

We are acting on behalf of executors of the late xxxxx , your landlard. We are dealing with the winding up of her estate and will be back in touch with you in relation to his in due course. In the meantime, however, we do require to have the property that you reside in valued for executry purposes, and would be obliged if you could be back in touch with ourselves to provide us with contact details for you to allow access for the surveyors. If there is a difficulty with this please be in touch with ourselves. We may require to obtain access through factors if you are not available. We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for attention.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 17,465 Thanks
    AdrianC
    we do require to have the property that you reside in valued for executry purposes
    Originally posted by alienuk
    ^ This is the key bit.

They need to know what value to put down on the forms for probate/IHT.
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 11th Nov 18, 6:24 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Sibz
    I see no (productive) point in being awkward allowing access to surveyors. If it's for will purposes they'll need to establish the value of the deceased's estate - for that property needs surveyed.

That in itself gives no hint as to the inheritor(s)' intentions. They may wish to continue letting it out through the letting agent, as it has a tenant in it and provides an ongoing income stream - I'm sure the letting agency will want that outcome also. They may want to sell it - whatever outcome is going to happen - anyone here is second guessing what the inheritor (if there is one) will want to do.
    • alienuk
    • By alienuk 11th Nov 18, 8:32 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alienuk
    Because I am a private tenant on this flat for the past 3 years , I won't come under the the new tenancy law which came into force in December 2017.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin