Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 9th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Tine
    Who else has a "Messy Chair"?
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    Who else has a "Messy Chair"? 9th Nov 18 at 10:49 AM
    No matter how hard I try there is one chair which my family invariably dump things on - I could equally call it the "Magic Chair" because if people dump stuff on it then it magically gets moved and may even reappear clean and folded in wardrobes and drawers

This is our "Messy Chair" - feel free to share yours!

(and has anyone ever tried to remove the chair? Do things just hover in mid-air? Do children and partners wander the house forever with arms full of stuff?)

Page 1
    • Grumpysally
    • By Grumpysally 9th Nov 18, 10:54 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Grumpysally
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:54 AM
    I'm afraid it's more than just one chair in our house. What's the Terry Pratchett? : )
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Nov 18, 10:55 AM
    • 64,943 Posts
    • 381,227 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:55 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:55 AM
    I've a chair I put everything down on ... one of those "cuddle chairs" as they're called.

But it's just me in my house.

It holds all the things "I'll need again soon". Right now, looking at it, there's comfy/loose/warm leggings, worn if I step outside or get nippy later; fleece/jacket, in case I go outside; my phone.

So all useful stuff..... I'll be using several times today.

It's never used as a chair as there's just me .... and I sit on the sofa
    • MSE Tine
    • By MSE Tine 9th Nov 18, 10:57 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MSE Tine
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:57 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:57 AM
    I'm afraid it's more than just one chair in our house. What's the Terry Pratchett? : )
    Originally posted by Grumpysally
    Night Watch
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:11 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:11 AM
    No messy chair in my house...I'm quite the neat freak and do a daily whizz round. We do however have a cupboard we call The Cupboard of Shame, which houses our shoes, coats, walking kit, yoga mats, cat baskets...I could go on I sort it out about once every 8 weeks but it always reverts to chaos!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Nov 18, 11:24 AM
    • 26,760 Posts
    • 56,961 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:24 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:24 AM
    Mine isn't a chair - it's a "messy bed" that is a handy half-way house for clean laundry and new purchases whilst I work out exactly where they are to be homed.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Nov 18, 11:27 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 14,302 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:27 AM
    No, chairs are for sitting on, or displaying nice cushions. I have a pile of stuff for the charity shop under a chair, but it's deliberately out of sight.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Thrice
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    Yes!!!

We use the back door to get in and out of our house, which is through the kitchen. So everything gets dumped in the kitchen as we are passing through.

About 2 weeks ago I moved everything into one corner of the kitchen, which is now known as 'Sh!te corner!'.

Have you seen my X? - No, have you looked in Sh!te corner?

I will of course need to clear it at some point, everything should have a place or it shouldn't be in the house..... One of these days
    SPC010
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 9th Nov 18, 12:02 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:02 PM
    ................Have you seen my X? - No, have you looked in Sh!te corner?............
    Originally posted by Thrice
    LVE it, Thrice
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    MandM90
    No messy chair in my house. I did have a messy table but when it was only used to dump stuff on i got shot of it.

Ive got a couple of messy kitchen cupboards though that i am trying to organise. Stuff just keeps appearing.
    Originally posted by Organza_Lace
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this. This is why we don't have a coffee table
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Nov 18, 2:50 PM
    • 10,878 Posts
    • 119,649 Thanks
    LameWolf
    No messy chair or messy anything else here; we live by Valli's mantra (a stalwart of the Flylady thread, if anyone doesn't know of her) "Don't put it down, put it away."
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Nov 18, 4:49 PM
    • 64,943 Posts
    • 381,227 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    "Don't put it down, put it away."
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    That only works if there is somewhere that's "away". "Away" takes space and cash ....

If everything has a home, fine, but, for many, there is nowhere that things actually belong properly.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-11-2018 at 5:57 PM.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 9th Nov 18, 5:11 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    David Aston
    Sadly, it appears that I am the first to go for messy home!
    Three bedrooms, two retired persons.
    We do mean to sort it, eventually.
    I could be doing a bit right now, but here I am.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    Oh I do love these cupboards of shame and doom! They make my house feel comfortably normal!

I have a tiny occasional table beside my armchair. It was meant to house my current library book and an occasional cup of tea. I've just currently counted 17 separate items on it including a packet of onion seeds and a dental tooth pick! Tomorrow's clearing up job ! I need a good night's sleep to prepare me for working out where I can move them on to !!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 26,760 Posts
    • 56,961 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Sadly, it appears that I am the first to go for messy home!
    Three bedrooms, two retired persons.
    We do mean to sort it, eventually.
    I could be doing a bit right now, but here I am.
    Originally posted by David Aston
    That is because life is too short!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 9th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,552 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    We have a cupboard of doom
    Originally posted by beenthere_donethat
    Same here. We have a cupboard under the stairs which is full to the brim. I tidy it up every Friday but its messy as soon as the door gets opened and stuff falls out and gets shoved back in. We also have one kitchen drawer that all the odd bits get shoved into. I'm often surprised what I actually find in there some times.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,774Posts Today

6,553Users online

Martin's Twitter