Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jugulator
    • By jugulator 9th Nov 18, 9:51 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jugulator
    0 WOW
    Pram damaged in flight. United will not take responsibility
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:51 AM
    0 WOW
    Pram damaged in flight. United will not take responsibility 9th Nov 18 at 9:51 AM
    Hi there,
    We, a family of 5, with three children aged 11, 6 and 8 months just travelled to Florida from London Heathrow. we checked the baby's pram at the gate. When we collected it at Orlando it was broken. The part which hold the seat on the frame of the pram was broken so, we could not use it. There was a chap at the gate, who was quite insensitive to this and straight away told me that push chairs are not covered without even offering an apology.We had to carry the baby with my other 2 children and the carry on bags we had. I went to the baggage area and complained to the person there, who seemed more understanding but he handed me a printed fine print which does says prams and push chairs are not covered for damage. I still made a written complaint then and there. It was 1 am in the morning following a long flight with all the kids.I contacted them by email as well, and I get the same reply.

Now the question is, is this true that they can get away with showing us a fine print which they damaged when then handled the item? Is this enforceable? Mine is a fairly expensive buggy (600 - on sale). Also we had to suffer a lot of trouble because of this. Having to carry the child, wasting time at the air port in the early hours of the morning and having to find alternatives etc. Is there any point in further fighting for this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 18, 10:02 AM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 9,100 Thanks
    photome
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:02 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:02 AM
    AS you say it is in their t and c

Customers can use strollers or folding wagons throughout the airport, but they must be checked at the departure gate. No strollers or folding wagons of any size are permitted as a carry-on item. Large, non-collapsible strollers or non-folding wagons cannot be checked at the gate, so please see a United representative at the airport check-in counter to check these items. United is not liable for damage to strollers or folding wagons.

Not sure how you would fight it as its a US airline so any court case would presumably be under US law
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Nov 18, 10:11 AM
    • 15,140 Posts
    • 20,739 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:11 AM
    Travel insurance?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 9,100 Thanks
    photome
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:03 AM
    Travel insurance?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

didnt think of that, seems likely thats the best option
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 9th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:18 AM
    Would also sugest next time take a cheap pram/buggy that will get you thru the holiday but not cause you too much financial grief when flying.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 18, 11:35 AM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 9,100 Thanks
    photome
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:35 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:35 AM
    Would also sugest next time take a cheap pram/buggy that will get you thru the holiday but not cause you too much financial grief when flying.
    Originally posted by Ganga

thinking back thats exactly what we used to do, one of those small fold up ones is what we used to take when flying
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 12,613 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    Originally posted by Ganga
    That was my first thought - I don't think I'd entrust an expensive pram/buggy to the (not so) tender care of baggage handlers!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 10th Nov 18, 9:23 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:23 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:23 PM
    Strollers, wagons and car seats

United accepts one stroller or folding wagon, and one car seat free of charge for each child, including children under the age of two traveling on an adult's lap and infants traveling internationally on 10 percent of an adult fare, charged at the time of infant ticketing (it is usually less expensive to purchase the infant ticket in advance).
    Customers can use strollers or folding wagons throughout the airport, but they must be checked at the departure gate. No strollers or folding wagons of any size are permitted as a carry-on item. Large, non-collapsible strollers or non-folding wagons cannot be checked at the gate, so please see a United representative at the airport check-in counter to check these items. United is not liable for damage to strollers or folding wagons.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/infant.html

• dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 11th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 11th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 11th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    Take cling film and cling film it too. It’s only the same as what folk do with the luggage. If you get there in plenty of time it’s possible
    roll on end of April 2019 *17 done* = *23 to go*
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 11th Nov 18, 9:06 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    LABMAN
    A DIY repair with a few cable ties might work? Then insurance claim.
    • jugulator
    • By jugulator 17th Nov 18, 11:34 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jugulator
    Thank you for replies. Sorry couldn't get back earlier.

I was lucky that there was a part which was broken which I managed to replace coated me 25. I guess I will have to swallow that.

Regarding cheap push chairs, not an option really when you have a baby as it is very uncomfortable and unsafe. Also I will have to carry another car seat for the baby anyway so not worth it. I had another cheap push chair with me for my 6 year old (I know she is old, but it was very useful esp in Disney) this has not damaged.

I still feel air line simply gets away with this with a fine print on their T&C's, which should not be allowed in my opinion. Thanks again for all the replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,057Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter