Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leah281
    • By leah281 9th Nov 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leah281
    Self Employment Tax!
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:08 AM
    Self Employment Tax! 9th Nov 18 at 9:08 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a bit of help about tax. I currently have a weekend job working 24 hours, but i'm after a bit of extra money that i can earn during the week from home. I've been accepted by a Transcription website that pay me for each transcription I choose to complete.

I know this means i will have to set up as self employed, but i'm struggling to understand the tax logic behind it, and considering just not bothering because i'm scared of getting it wrong!

When would be the first self assessment i would have to complete, if i was to start the job now? And also, if the tax year ends in April, how can I complete my assessment in January when the year hasn't finished yet?

I hope somebody has some insight
    Thank you!
Page 1
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 9th Nov 18, 9:17 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    engineer amy
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:17 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:17 AM
    Your first tax self assessment will be due 9 months after the end of the current tax year. So if you start the additional work now, you will complete your first SA by 31st January 2020 for any work done between April 2018 and March 2019.

Self assessment is relatively straightforward - you just register, enter your personal details, enter your earnings and tax paid from employed salary, total self employed earning less any expenses and it calculates your tax due. Just keep any records of your earnings and costs.
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • leah281
    • By leah281 9th Nov 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leah281
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:27 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:27 AM
    That's great, thank you so much for your help! That's made it a lot clearer for me.

On the self asssessment it also says Business Address, i'm guessing i would put my own address in there, rather than the address of the transcription company that i'm getting the freelance work from?

Sorry if i sound really stupid
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 9th Nov 18, 9:33 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    engineer amy
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:33 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:33 AM
    yes its always your details
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Nov 18, 6:12 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:12 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:12 PM
    On the self asssessment it also says Business Address, i'm guessing i would put my own address in there
    Yes, they are asking about your business.

If you are successful you might be doing transcriptions for numerous companies/organisations but HMRC don't want their details, they are interested in the business you are running. So your address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,600Posts Today

4,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin