Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arnold03
    • By Arnold03 9th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Arnold03
    Online BR and interview
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    Online BR and interview 9th Nov 18 at 8:59 AM
    Hello,
    I understand I can now declare bankruptcy online. A couple of questions I have the fee, do I advise any creditors immediately that I have filed for bankruptcy? Or do I wait until it is declared.

May I just ask, once applied online and paid the fee, am I informed by post of when it is declared I understand I will get a number or certificate?

Does the OR interview take place over the phone? (I have serious anxiety issues and very rarely leave the house)

I have no assets, I rent, one of the debts is hmrc from personal tax from an closed business where I was a partner. About 7k. The other 8k is old credit card debt which I have been paying via a DMP for about 11 years, should have gone bankrupt then. The time is now for a clean slate. Today a knock at the door from a debt that has gone to high court for 3k the guy at door was pleasant, I was surprised as thought this was being paid to Mars tons at fifty a month but it hasnít been paid for the last three months, I said to the guy can he give me 10 days to pay the debt he made a note and said this would be fine, but I think now is the time to file BR.

SO if I file in next couple of days do I let the guy/marstons know as I donít want them to knock at the door in ten days. Or do I stall and ask for 4 weeks and hope theBR is through by then?

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Nov 18, 11:56 AM
    • 15,718 Posts
    • 14,783 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:56 AM
    Hi,

Everything to do with Bankruptcy is now done either online, by phone, and by post, there is no longer a requirement to appear in court at all.

You submit your application online, pay the fee (currently £680) the adjudicator will contact you within 28 days to inform you of there decision, its normally quite straightforward, unless your case is more complex, it will be approved fairly quickly.

OR interview is done over the phone yes, i would wait till conformation the bankruptcy has been granted before telling creditors anything.

Some info here :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/how-to-go-bankrupt/timeline-for-bankruptcy/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,553Posts Today

5,344Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin