Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Nov 18, 7:49 AM
    • 10,699Posts
    • 9,563Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    further ideas for SIPP?
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:49 AM
    further ideas for SIPP? 9th Nov 18 at 7:49 AM
    OK so i started a sipp more for tax management purposes than a pension as i have a separate good pension arrangement.

In my SIPP i have CTY,FCPT,SMT . I like ITs because they are managed and reasonable costs but also they can borrow to buy in dips and maintain divis/boost returns.

So the above have elements of global equity,UK,commercial property etc but i dont have anything bond or gilt related.

Im just wondering if i need something like that and if so what ?

thanks all
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 1
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    Surely only you can answer if you need to add bonds / gilts?

The fact that you are asking the question seems to indicate that you feel you do . Why do you think you should look at adding bonds / gilts?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 10,699 Posts
    • 9,563 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    Well after i posted i then thought well i already have a kind of bondish product in the way of NSI inflation linked certs,,a different kind of bond of course..

I'm thiknig corporate bond stuff might be worth adding as businesses will always pay their bond holders or go bust,,but then one would have to be careful not to buy into a bond vehicle at too high a price and maybe they are already priced a bit high..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • nrsql
    • By nrsql 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    nrsql
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    I keep hearing that the market is heading for a crash and that bonds are going to fall with it.

Worst case scenario - long term depression, market crash, bonds defaulted, hyper-inflation (government reneges on the inflation linked bonds or prevents cashing in, and premium bonds), property price crash, impossible to rent out reasonably, mortgage defaults, infrastructure declines, lawlessness abounds, ...

There's a limit to what you can protect against.
    I'm now up to 5 separate portfolios with different providers all catering for different situations. Ignoring the cash values it's surprising that, although they show little correlation, they don't seem to end up very different in value.

I prefer to think in terms not of whether to have a product but how much. The how much can get to near 0% in which case it's clear that you don't consider it necessary otherwise include it as part of the portfolio depending on fees and effort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter