Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jaxl2k
    • By jaxl2k 9th Nov 18, 6:40 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jaxl2k
    new boiler fitted, pressure fail - new piping recommended?
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:40 AM
    new boiler fitted, pressure fail - new piping recommended? 9th Nov 18 at 6:40 AM
    Hi - I'm pretty desperate so hoping some kind folk can help.

I moved to the US and rent my 1930s ground floor apt. out. My old boiler broke for good back in March. Pimlico Plumbers replaced it. All worked fine for 6 months then heating failed again.
    PP came round once again, said no problem with the boiler but since all the other parts of the central heating systems were old - and I mean really old - the pump had failed. So I replaced the pump about 2 weeks ago. We're up to about 6k in costs now.
    Cut to today - no heating once again. PP came out and I was informed there was a leak somewhere as everything had been checked but the pressure was 0.

I was given some options very nicely. Try and do a track and trace and lift up the concrete and tiling and floorboards but the leak could literally be anywhere....or replace the old hot water cylinder (which I was told was years old and had heaps of sediment in and rusty with leaks, and refit ALL my piping to the house. They would then lock off the old pipes making them redundant and I would have brand new pipes.

This is at an estimated cost of about 12k inc labor and parts. Oh, and I;m trying to do this all from the US as my tenants are in my flat.

I'm freaking out. Ive always trusted PP and the guy is really nice but I see no other option. I couldn't tell you what kind of boiler I've now got but its a good one

The tenants have hot water but no heating and I'm told I'm bricking freezing in the UK right now and to top it off my tenants are about to have a baby in 2 weeks. Great.

Any advice would be amazing. I lived in my flat for 8 years no probs and now in the year I have lived abroad I've had more problems than ever - and all to do with heating.

Can anyone suggest things I should be asking the plumber to check before I commit to putting in brand new piping? I see no other choice if I need to get this sorted asap. It's not an option to have no heating.

Thanking anyone/everyone Kindly and apologies if this has been covered in another thread. I read a few but they didn't quite feel like the same thing.

Thank you!!!
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    • 38,161 Posts
    • 160,447 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:01 AM
    A friend had a problem with leaky pipes and they managed to put a switch in the circuit (untechy explanation) so they could at least detect if the leak was upstairs or downstairs.

Problem comes if the leak is so slow that it takes a few days to detect.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 9th Nov 18, 9:28 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:28 AM
    British gas have a leak detection team. But they are not cheap.

They drain then fill the system with an inert gas and sniff for the leak. I used them.

Have you tried the leak fluid you can add to the system. Its worth a try for the small cost. A few friends have used it over the years.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 9th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    Something like this...............http://www.theleakteam.com/boiler-losing-pressure/

Also

Did you know most household insurance policies offer cover for leak detection under “Trace and Access”? Please check your policy for details. We have many year experiences of working with insurance companies and can provide full photographic reports for insurers or loss adjusters if required.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 09-11-2018 at 9:32 AM.
    • alanobrien
    • By alanobrien 9th Nov 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    alanobrien
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:48 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:48 PM
    Having the pipe work in concrete floor is magnifying the cost to repair. I had a similar issue some years ago and used a thermal imaging camera to locate that particular leak. In the end i did a re pipe with drop downs from above but appreciate that may not be possible for you.

Could they re-pipe at skirting level maybe in conduit ?
    That should be a lower cost option.

You could also consider providing the tenants with low cost electric heaters until the issue is resolved as it sounds like it may take some time.
    • jaxl2k
    • By jaxl2k 9th Nov 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaxl2k
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:09 PM
    Thank you all.

The cylinder was replaced today and rather than go straight and retrofit the pipes - I have arranged for a Trace and Access to take place to try and find this leak.
    Apparently the new boiler is a condensing one - I'm told this is now a prerequisite to have legally. The plumber told me that the heating is losing pressure within 10 seconds and the pipes are sealed and contained, hence why they can't find where the leak is. He says it's harder to track down because sealed pipes don't always show up on thermal imaging etc.

The job should be done in one day but will still set me back a grand even if they don't find the leak. If they don't find the leak, is my only option to retro fit the entire pipe system? They are saying that will take 3 engineers and 1 week to do - at 3k a day plus parts.

I might add this is a ground floor 2 bed apartment. I know PP are more expensive that most but I'm already fainting at how much this is going to cost.

Has everything else been considered? My nervousness is that now I have a new pump, the force of it is leaning too much on old rusty pipes which are at least 30 years old, probably more. It may well happen again.

I checked with my buildings insurance and they only cover trace and access if a major leak and will only repair damage to floors etc, not to piping which is wear and tear.

Thoughts gratefully received - has anyone else had this problem?
    • jaxl2k
    • By jaxl2k 9th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaxl2k
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:12 PM
    @alanobrien- yes you are right. When I spoke to the plumber he said if they refitted new pipes they would be external at skirting board level and unsightly. He said for a fee they could get a carpenter out who could box the pipes in as an alternative.

The tenants have some electric heaters in the meantime till the plumbers can come back on Monday...
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    3k a day and a week to repipe a flat, I know your in London but that's a joke and they got the nerve to charge parts on top.

Get some other quotes, don't both wasting another 1k on thermal imaging, it could well find the leak but if it's leaking in the floor at that point it's likely to leak else where another time soon. Repipe it now and be done with it.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Nov 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:47 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:47 PM
    A similar thing happened to me after a new boiler, the installer some 'leak stop' solution, which he said would circulate and seal up any minor leaks. But also there was a radiator that was seeping which tightened. Since then no problems.
    HTHs
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • jaxl2k
    • By jaxl2k 9th Nov 18, 9:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaxl2k
    has anyone used Pimlico Plumbers for this? I've never had a problem with them in terms of work and reliability but at a day rate of 950 quid (sorry my US keyboard doesn't have a pound sign) per engineer the costs are mounting up. It's the labour that is killing me. Is this normal?
    Has anyone else had a retrofit piping system done before?

They checked the radiators - in fact one is going to be replaced and another removed. No leaks there I'm afraid....
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Nov 18, 9:14 PM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    1st tell PP to do one they are ridiculous expensive, if your tenants had hot water why did you replace the cylinder, was the old system under pressure or fed from a roof tank ? I suspect if you have a cylinder it was the roof tank & now it is under pressure, for an old system like yours you should have been warned about making it a sealed system could cause leaks, yes the boiler does have to be condensing but it still can be open vented it doesn't have to be converted to sealed, get a local guy to put a couple of bottles of CT1 miracle cure in the system
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Nov 18, 9:48 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Alex1983
    If and a big if it's losing pressure within 10 seconds I think it might be past ct1 but would be worth ago because I wouldn't trust that it's loseing it's pressure that quick. Just don't get plimco to do it as at 1k a day it will probably cost you 200 to get them to put in.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Nov 18, 9:05 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    This is just another shoot in the dark. But could you not hire a thermal camera for a few days and try yourself?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,602Posts Today

9,105Users online

Martin's Twitter