Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BGM
    • By BGM 8th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BGM
    Optimise Pension
    • 8th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    Optimise Pension 8th Nov 18 at 11:21 PM
    Hi,

First post on here after a very long break, but want to get some advice (I hope) about what to do with my pension...

Currently I am 34 and have two pensions.. one is valued at around £110k w/ Standard Life and the other around £20k the later is a work place pension that I am currently contributing to..

What I want to do is make sure that a) I am paying minimal fees and b) itís invested in the right mix.. I fear that as I donít pay into the SL product any longer it may be charged higher fees that necessary and also it hasnít been rebalanced in yonks afaik!

I am uncertain if I should approach an IFA, or attempt to sort it myself.. I donít *really* have the time to research tons of stuff or tbh the confidence to put (what I consider) to be quite a large sum somewhere new...

What sort of fees should I be aiming at for a Ďgood dealí, any advice on a platform?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Nov 18, 12:10 AM
    • 95,773 Posts
    • 63,468 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:10 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:10 AM
    I fear that as I don’t pay into the SL product any longer it may be charged higher fees that necessary
    That would be unusual. it only tended to be on workplace schemes when that happened but some rule changes on that front ended it.
    Indeed, some legacy pensions actually get cheaper if made paid up.

I am uncertain if I should approach an IFA, or attempt to sort it myself.. I don’t *really* have the time to research tons of stuff or tbh the confidence to put (what I consider) to be quite a large sum somewhere new...
    IFA or DIY. They are your choices. Like any DIY, if you do the job well then you get a good end result and a cheaper option. If you do it badly, then it can be a costly mistake.

What sort of fees should I be aiming at for a ‘good deal’, any advice on a platform?
    0.2x% to 0.3x% all in is the cheapest ballpark range. However, lowest cost is not everything.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Nov 18, 11:37 AM
    • 27,267 Posts
    • 16,313 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:37 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:37 AM
    Have you compared the SW pension with your current pension?

Is it worth transferring the SW pension into your workplace pension?
    • BGM
    • By BGM 9th Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BGM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    Have you compared the SW pension with your current pension?

Is it worth transferring the SW pension into your workplace pension?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    SW, do you mean SL? Guess SW == Scottish Widows?

Yes, that is a possibility! I shall compare fees this weekend, and get back to this thread

Like i say though, i am coming at this from two angles.. the first being fees, but the other is making sure that the pot is invested in the right places... i would ideally like some sort of pointers as to places i could go and fish for my own information.. but not super sure as to where to start.

I half thought there might be a sticky thread that would be able to set me off on the right path...
    Last edited by BGM; 09-11-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 95,773 Posts
    • 63,468 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    I half thought there might be a sticky thread that would be able to set me off on the right path...
    MSE has generally avoided getting involved with investments. When it has it has tended to make a mess of it. Plus, pensions and investments are a regulated activity. So, they have to be careful how far they go.

Half the problem is that there is no one best option. Different scenarios and requirements will lead to different outcomes. The other half of the problem is that investing is very much about opinion rather than fact. And with 30,000 odd investments available, how do you fit that into an MSE article or sticky.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Nov 18, 7:36 PM
    • 27,267 Posts
    • 16,313 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:36 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:36 PM
    SW
    Sorry, yes, SL.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 10th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    There is actually quite a lot of useful basic info on the Standard Life website about pensions, investing , attitude to risk, getting a balanced portfolio. So could be a good place to start.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    • 27,267 Posts
    • 16,313 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    You may be interested in reading

DIY Pensions: A Simple Guide to Pensions, SIPPs & Retirement Planning, by John Edwards.

which was recommended by another poster.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    • 95,773 Posts
    • 63,468 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    • 14th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    Please ignore Felice Vanin. This is a spammer. Now posted about Intus on multiple threads in investment and pension section. Press the spam button.

Intus life are not regulated and promotions of them in the UK are unlawful.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 13,211 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I am uncertain if I should approach an IFA, or attempt to sort it myself.. I donít *really* have the time to research tons of stuff or tbh the confidence to put (what I consider) to be quite a large sum somewhere new...
    Originally posted by BGM

Hopefully you have the time to read this and this?
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

476Posts Today

5,413Users online

Martin's Twitter