Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanfarmer
    • By beanfarmer 8th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 32Thanks
    beanfarmer
    Do the walls and skirting boards need refurbishment ?
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:16 PM
    Do the walls and skirting boards need refurbishment ? 8th Nov 18 at 5:16 PM
    This 4 x bedroom house is empty and is a long term rental asset and whilst the house was lived in previously I've got the goal of "refurbishing" the property so that it's in a really nice and solid condition for tenants to enjoy. I want to take the opportunity of the empty property to do any job that's likely to need to be done in the coming years or any job that is required to make it high quality or nice quality however I don't want to needlessly redo something that's completely unnecessary.

This is the reason I'm here on MSE because tradesman/builders all have their own ideas. Some would say you wouldn't touch it in a million years but others would say they'd rip everything out and plasterboard it.

I do have the money to get whatever needs to be done done properly but it's so easy to waste money I've found (And I've already done that).

These photographs show the general interior of the house, it's not been cleaned or painted and decorated but please ignore the bad paintwork. That will all be redone professionally

The walls are all the original plaster that was on their from 100 years ago and the skirting boards and door surrounds are all original. The ceilings are all lath and plaster as well.

My question is how far would you go to "Refurb this house". Would you think this is good enough condition to let to professional shared tenants or a family who are paying either 500 per room (All bills included) or the entire house rented to a family for around 950 per month

I just lack the experience to know where the borderlines of whats good enough for high quality without getting into unrealistic and unnecessary improvements that won't actually improve it.

Your feedback and input is so greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks to everybody who has left feedback on my posts regarding this house

Please find link below in my post with just a single long link. The link is fairly long because it gets longer the more pictures I add and I've kept all the pictures on one gallery page.
    Last edited by beanfarmer; 09-11-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Page 1
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 8th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    Anybody who tried to rip original skirting boards or door frames like that out of my house would find themselves booted out of the door within seconds!

If you replaced them with modern alternatives, you'd ruin the house IMO. If you replaced them with replicas, what would be the point?

The only time I'd replace them would be if they were terribly damaged and couldn't be repaired. I'd willingly pay more than the cost of replacements if it meant I could keep them.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 8th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    I wouldn't touch those original skirting boards - sacrilege!

Also, this is an MSE forum - expending money unnecessarily on a rental is not very MSE. ;-)
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Nov 18, 6:29 PM
    • 12,842 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:29 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:29 PM
    This post has killed my phone. I wish I could see why but am guessing it's a link....
    • beanfarmer
    • By beanfarmer 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    beanfarmer
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:53 PM
    Anybody who tried to rip original skirting boards or door frames like that out of my house would find themselves booted out of the door within seconds!

If you replaced them with modern alternatives, you'd ruin the house IMO. If you replaced them with replicas, what would be the point?

The only time I'd replace them would be if they were terribly damaged and couldn't be repaired. I'd willingly pay more than the cost of replacements if it meant I could keep them.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Thanks for your post, so nothing is actually damaged per se but what about the walls do you think they'd need to be re skimmed at least or just painted and decorated?
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 8th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:33 PM
    Thanks for your post, so nothing is actually damaged per se but what about the walls do you think they'd need to be re skimmed at least or just painted and decorated?
    Originally posted by beanfarmer
    I can't see the images anymore but I don't remember thinking the plaster looked bad. I'd not bother redoing it. Use it as a selling point if anybody asks, all original!
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 9th Nov 18, 12:01 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:01 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:01 AM
    Without seeing them its hard to say, but as another poster said it would be sacrilege to remove them.

Quick repaint job would be relatively cheap and easy to do, but don't forget that there may be lead paint on them. Take extra precautions when keying.
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 9th Nov 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:45 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:45 AM
    The walls look absolutely fine. No need to replace at all (unless plaster is blown). Stick to matt emulsion for the walls, assuming you are painting - doesn't highlight minor imperfections like silk does. If you are removing the wallpaper in that blue room, you may want to consider lining the walls before painting again depending on condition of walls after stripping.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 9th Nov 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:21 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:21 AM
    Thank you dunroving for your reply so do you think everything is good enough to be considered ok? Do you think the walls need to be re-skimmed?
    It's nigh on impossible to say whether the walls need skimming from a photo (photos can hide a multitude of evils that you can see immediately in real life). I've often been to view a house where the estate agent pictures look lovely, but in real life walls have cracks, or blown plaster (looks OK, but has a hollow sound when you knock it).

But, unless there is obvious, unsightly damage, I'd say just give it all a lick of bright, cheerful paint.

Blemishes often give character in an older property that many people want, and is in keeping with the age of the property. Ripping out lovely character skirting just because it has the occasional bump and chunk missing as a result of people living there over the years is a mortal sin!

[ETA: I just took another look at the photos - I thought the link had been removed - and the place looks GREAT! I wouldn't touch a thing, just paint it. I'd kill for a house with so much character!]
    Last edited by dunroving; 09-11-2018 at 8:25 AM.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Nov 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 25,662 Thanks
    jk0
    Ha ha. I wish my house looked that good!
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 9th Nov 18, 10:58 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    I'm trying to achieve a high quality finish throughout whilst remaining neutral so as to not offend any particular type of personal taste so would you have any recommendations for a neutral colour throughout?
    Dulux Timeless is a pretty inoffensive neutral pale cream but as with anything colour wise your best bet is to get a sample pot (or a few) paint the samples onto separate pieces of paper and then blu-tack to the wall to see how they look in different rooms / lights - hence painting on paper - you can move them around the house to your hearts content. If you are doing multiple samples remember to write the brand and colour name on each sample so you know which is which.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    Egyptian Cotton is a really nice soft "white" - I have just used it everywhere except the living room and kitchen.
    (Nearly) dunroving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

7,462Users online

Martin's Twitter