Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kblack71
    • By kblack71 8th Nov 18, 5:02 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kblack71
    outrageous mobile charge from UAE call to UK number which I don't recognise
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:02 PM
    outrageous mobile charge from UAE call to UK number which I don't recognise 8th Nov 18 at 5:02 PM
    Hi there. I haven't posted here before but maybe someone can help. I was recently in the UAE, in Abu Dhabi, with my roaming switched OFF, I made a number of whatsapp and facetime calls while there and when I received my phone bill, instead of it being 9 for the month, it was 214, with a call from the UAE to a UK mobile costing 205 for 41 minutes. I have no record of having made this call, my phne doesn't log this as one of the calls I made, nor have I ever come across the number before, it's certainly not in my phone's address book.
    After a few calls to Virgin they've offered me 20 off the bill which, naturally I haven't accepted.
    The only possible explanation I can imagine a this point is that I made a 40minute facetime call on the same evening and I'm wondering if a scammer might have been able to 're-route' or re-direct this to a different number thereby causing me to be charged at this ridiculous rate, which is in fact the correct rate from the UAE. I've no idea if scammers are capable of such tricks but what else could it be?
    I told the 'manager' at Virgin not to go ahead with the 'deadlock letter' she mentioned until tomorrow, which would then mean my going through an independent ombudsman, but this can take ages, so I was hoping to find a better alternative. She'll be ringing me up again tomorrow afternoon and if I haven't made any progress I may then decide to go ahead with the ombudsman. In any case this manager seemed fairly low down the ranking and didn't have any understanding of anything beyond the basics, and yet she didn't allow me to speak to her supervisor, claiming "they don't take calls".
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Nov 18, 8:25 AM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    pmduk
    It would have been the best decision. Who knows, someone at VM who oversees referrals to CISAS might spot some dodgy paperwork at their end and decide not to risk the referral.
    It's happened to cases I've dealt with before now.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Nov 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    The most likely reason FaceTime is blocked in the UAE is that Apple encrypt FT calls and, like many countries, the UAE will not allow calls they cannot monitor.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Nov 18, 8:38 AM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    pmduk
    I understand it's because UAE bans all VOIP calls, though I may be wrong.
    Last edited by pmduk; 10-11-2018 at 8:42 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,197Users online

Martin's Twitter