Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danlewi2
    • By danlewi2 8th Nov 18, 4:15 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 47Thanks
    danlewi2
    Boiler - no thermostat
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:15 PM
    Boiler - no thermostat 8th Nov 18 at 4:15 PM
    After our recent Gas inspection - the engineer recommended that we have a thermostat fitted as currently its just a timer. We have asked our LA to ask the Landlord, anyone have a rough idea of costs ? Combi boiler.
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,847 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    It depends where you want the thermostat installed. If you've got thermostatic valves on the radiators I wouldn't waste my money, you'll never recoup what you spend.

If I were fitting one to mine I'd look at a smart one such as Google Nest. It works wirelessly, replaces the timer as well and can learn your schedule so is even better.
    • PaulCooper
    • By PaulCooper 8th Nov 18, 4:58 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    PaulCooper
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:58 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:58 PM
    We've just got one fitted----------- no thermostat in house previously, only thermostatic rad valves & timer. We went for a Honeywell Lyric (control from a smart phone) it was about 460, for us it was worth it, we might get our money back after a couple of years, but it was more peace of mind, to be able to control it when we're not at the property
    Paul
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 8th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    Saving the best part of 20 a month, just by having a thermostat fitted seems an awful lot.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    Saving the best part of 20 a month, just by having a thermostat fitted seems an awful lot.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA

Maybe the thermostat is set to 10 degrees.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Nov 18, 5:30 PM
    • 61,104 Posts
    • 54,324 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:30 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:30 PM
    only thermostatic rad valves & timer.
    Originally posted by PaulCooper
    If you've thermostatic rad valves fitted where do you place the control unit?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 8th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 16,082 Posts
    • 22,123 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    We've just got one fitted----------- no thermostat in house previously, only thermostatic rad valves & timer. We went for a Honeywell Lyric (control from a smart phone) it was about 460, for us it was worth it, we might get our money back after a couple of years, but it was more peace of mind, to be able to control it when we're not at the property
    Paul
    Originally posted by PaulCooper
    How old is your boiler?

We have a 35 year old boiler with no thermostat and no separate hot water option.

3 plumbers and 2 heating engineers later and no one wants to fit a thermostat for us, but they all want to install a new boiler!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 61,104 Posts
    • 54,324 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:26 PM
    How old is your boiler?

We have a 35 year old boiler with no thermostat and no separate hot water option.

3 plumbers and 2 heating engineers later and no one wants to fit a thermostat for us, but they all want to install a new boiler!
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    How efficient is the boilier though?

35 year old cars still run if maintained properly.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Mela322
    • By Mela322 8th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Mela322
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    We rent, bought a second hand wireless thermostat and take the unit upstairs only at night. We keep it at 19 and it usually only runs at night as the sun heats the living room and downstairs most days.

We were told to use the timer and valves on the radiators but the boiler never turned off! We then had permission for a thermostat. There was already a cable in place so my husband just hooked it up following all the instructions. Bought a second hand set for 40. Well worth it. Many are selling them as they are moving up to smart units. We have silly slow internet so would be useless to us.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 8,247 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    phill99
    Your landlord is under no obligation to provide a thermostat.

he has to provide means of space heating and hot water. How its controlled is not his issue. So don't get to hung up on this.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Nov 18, 8:20 PM
    • 33,891 Posts
    • 40,023 Thanks
    Browntoa
    BG engineers get regular things to "promote" to you

Co2 detector
    Magnatec filter

Obviously thermostat or hive is the latest
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • danlewi2
    • By danlewi2 9th Nov 18, 8:47 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    danlewi2
    Your landlord is under no obligation to provide a thermostat.

he has to provide means of space heating and hot water. How its controlled is not his issue. So don't get to hung up on this.
    Originally posted by phill99
    never said they were obligated - even if we pay for it ourselves we still need approval to have it fitted.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    • 19,173 Posts
    • 17,618 Thanks
    AdrianC
    A room 'stat is a fairly blunt instrument. It simply turns the whole heating on or off when that one room meets the temp requirement.

Do you have thermostatic rad valves? If so, they're actually better - as well as being easier to fit - they turn each rad on or off individually when the room they're in is up to temp, so you can control by room instead of the whole property. One radiator (usually a bathroom towel rail) should not be thermostatically controlled, so that you don't get the situation where the boiler's trying to pump but nothing's open, so there's no flow.

Without any thermostatic control, the heating will simply be on the whole time the timer says "on" - but you can, of course, manually over-ride that timer to turn it off when you're too warm.

Remember, the boiler won't usually be burning the whole time the heating's on. If the return flow hasn't lost much temp, then the burner won't ignite.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Nov 18, 12:58 PM
    • 16,082 Posts
    • 22,123 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    How efficient is the boilier though?

35 year old cars still run if maintained properly.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    The boiler isn't as efficient as a modern one but works perfectly well.

Older ones were built much better so we would rather not scrap it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 10th Nov 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    The boiler isn't as efficient as a modern one but works perfectly well.

Older ones were built much better so we would rather not scrap it!
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    My mother's boiler was fitted in 1978 and is still going strong. It may be inefficient but the cost of a new boiler would blow away any savings she might make on gas costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,261Posts Today

7,293Users online

Martin's Twitter