Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonwest
    • By jonwest 8th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jonwest
    Implant Crown Cracked After 13 Months
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    Implant Crown Cracked After 13 Months 8th Nov 18 at 4:14 PM
    I wondered if anyone is kind enough to advise on my wife's implant.

From day one she felt it wasn't right and complained it was misaligned in the gum but the dentist just basically fobbed her off with excuses. After 13 months she noticed a crack in the crown. My wife is not good at standing up for herself and has, I feel, allowed the dentist to make her feel responsible for the damage.

The implant had a double crown and cost 3000. Though the implant itself is guaranteed for 5 years, the crown is only guaranteed for 1 year. They are asking for a further 1000 to fix it. Ok, it's out of guarantee but surely it should last longer than 13 months?? I feel she's been fleeced. Any adviced gratefully received, thank you.
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 8th Nov 18, 4:30 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:30 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:30 PM
    Unless there is a specific problem that someone has been warned about eg they grind their teeth at night , or have a clenching habit ,or don't wear an appliance at night if they have been asked to, I would expect most private dentists to replace treatment failing after such a short time either for free or at a reduced price.

If your wife is not happy then she first needs to write a letter to the surgery detailing her concerns. If she is still not happy she can use the dental complaints service which is a free, quick service https://dcs.gdc-uk.org

Implants have to be placed into good bone and avoiding structures such as nerves, sinuses etc . Sometimes that means the implant itself cannot be placed "in line" and the crown or bridge on top has to be made to accommodate the implant placement. Implants also do not "feel" like normal teeth , it is very easy to bite harder than normal because there is no feedback like a normal tooth. This is why implant crowns can crack on people who grind or clench habitually. In extreme cases the implant itself can break.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 8th Nov 18, 4:45 PM
    • 8,986 Posts
    • 10,755 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:45 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:45 PM
    It's a bit hard to say just from that.

How it's aligned with the gum may well be how it had to be, as you have to put the implant in the best, strongest bone. Did this 'misalignment' affect just how it looked, or how it bit together?

The thing is, if the bite is wrong with the crown, or there is some sort of defect in how it was made, then usually the failure happens quite quickly. Within days or weeks, usually.

Problems caused by clenching/grinding teeth, or just biting things too hard occurs much later, but still quite short into the crowns life (I once had a patient who destroyed her own teeth, and then quite a few crowns as she just loved gnawing every bit of meat of her chops!!! )

If the dentist suspected this might be a problem though, or thought she might be a tooth-grinder, then these things should have been pointed out with the potential consequences before the treatment was started.

So - the important bits are,

What was identified as possible problems before treatment? Was your wife aware of any special difficulties in her treatment that might have been a factor in this?

What did your wife feel was wrong when the crown was 'misaligned'? What problems did that cause?

How was she 'fobbed off'? It's possible some of this was perfectly reasonable explanations? Were any of those reasons mentioned in the possible problems before treatment started?

Is the 1000 replacement cost the full price, or a reduced price as it has failed quickly? What will change so the same thing doesn't happen with this one?

If your wife feels the answers/excuses aren't satisfactory, then it might be better to write a letter to the practice outlining your complaint.

If she wasn't told of any factors going on in her mouth that might have led to a short life for the crown before treatment started, that might be the best angle to take with the letter.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 8th Nov 18, 4:47 PM
    • 8,986 Posts
    • 10,755 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:47 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:47 PM
    Post crossed with Brooks
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • jonwest
    • By jonwest 10th Nov 18, 11:06 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jonwest
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:06 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:06 AM
    It may be that the words fobbing off and fleeced were a bit strong but I think a letter expressing our concerns seems to be the way to go. Many thanks for the helpful replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,629Posts Today

9,307Users online

Martin's Twitter