Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vespagtsrider
    • By Vespagtsrider 8th Nov 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vespagtsrider
    0 WOW
    Car hire charges AFTER return?
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Car hire charges AFTER return? 8th Nov 18 at 4:00 PM
    Hi.

Just returned from Spanish holiday. Had a major flight delay on the way over and arrived after official closing time of car hire office. I tried every possible way of contacting them whilst in the UK, but to no avail.
    They WERE still open when we got there......but they charged us 50 Euros as a late opening charge.
    I had a big grump on, but paid up. A 40 charge is specified for picking up outside office hours - just checked online.

We checked back in a week later and I was told verbally that everything was fine (damage wise) and my credit card deposit would be returned within 10 days. Nothing was signed upon return.
    I have checkd my credit card online and nothing seems to have been taken or refunded....as if nothing happened. I have read about the "holding" thing - but that seems to contradict what the guy said about the deposit being returned?
    I want to roast the company (OK Car Rentals) on the survey I have been sent due to a very unsypathetic attitude and the fact that they were uncontactable. This meshes in with the assurances I got from Jet 2 onboard the plane - the hire was via them, and they said they would phone thru (but didn't).
    I might be paranoid here, but could the car hire company charge anything to my credit card still?
Page 1
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 9th Nov 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:04 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:04 AM
    Short answer............yes they can.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 9th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    benjus
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:03 PM
    Maybe the guy's English isn't perfect.

If they haven't actually taken anything from your card then there's nothing to return. If there is a pre-authorised charge being held on the card you can usually see it in the "available credit" part of the card, as it will be reduced by the amount of the pre-authorised charge (e.g. if your credit limit is 10000 and your balance is 1000 but available credit shows 8500, it could indicate a pre-authorised charge of 500 on the card). After a few days you should see this difference disappear, indicating that the charge has been lifted. Well, roughly indicating anyway - if they do actually charge anything to the card you may see the charge lift then an actual transaction appear a few days later.
    Last edited by benjus; 12-11-2018 at 8:04 AM.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    Yes they can, but it appears they haven't; apart from the 40...?

So you got off light, because many people who rent in Spain and are attracted by unrealistically low headline rates get ripped off- insurance hassle, imaginary damage, etcc.

Next time, google for reviews, or at least use the search bar on Tripadvisor Spain Forum BEFORE booking; OK Car Rentals get about 130,000 google hits, 2,000 alone on Tripadvisor- many of them complaints about fraud or fake charges. Not the worst; GOLDCAR get 450,000 whinges!

Read this helpul Tripadvisor post for advice about renting in Spain;
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187435-i317-k10395502-Tips_for_Car_Hire-Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html#83 951907
    • benjus
    • By benjus 11th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    benjus
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    It's really getting ridiculous. I was looking for car hire in Malaga recently and the top results were charging something stupid like 2 per day. But then you look at the result and find that (1) It's Goldcar, (2) It's limited to about 15 miles per day and (3) It doesn't include any insurance at all.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter