Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 8th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,430Posts
    • 496Thanks
    kah22
    Christmas Pudding
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    Christmas Pudding 8th Nov 18 at 3:32 PM
    Itís that time of the year again when minds turn to Christmas at the moment Iím thinking Christmas pudding

This year Iíll not need as much as I have in previous so I was wondering whether or not I could steam a two pound Christmas pudding and immediately after taking them from the freezer transfer them to two one pound basin. Thus avoiding two goes at steaming: Iím thinking time as well as cost.
    Illegitimi non carborundum
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    • 26,969 Posts
    • 57,427 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    No idea, but you've reminded me that stir-up Sunday is on the 25th Nov.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 33,098 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    Mine is maturing on the shelf. Thereís that much sugar an whisky in her she does not need freezing!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 6,517 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:56 PM
    In the days when I made Xmas puds they were so steeped in good stuff that it never occurred to me to freeze them. Nowadays, no longer having hordes to feed, I just go to to Lidl.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    • 18,845 Posts
    • 112,530 Thanks
    maman
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    I'm finding it hard to get my head round what you're asking.

I haven't made a Christmas pudding in years but are you saying that your 2lb pudding be liquid enough after steaming to pour into 2 1 lb bowls and freeze one?

Why do you need to freeze a Christmas pudding? They last for years. What you could do I suppose is freeze in slices and just take some out at a time throughout the year.

Or you could put 2 x 1lb basins in a very large pan for steaming

Or you could do what I do now which is look out for recommendations of the best supermarket brands and buy one (or better still buy in January and keep until next year).
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 8th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    Yes, I'm having some difficulty in understanding as well. This is what i think you are asking:
    You want to end up with 2 x 1lb puddings
    You don't want to steam them individually
    You want to do the initial cooking all together, then transfer in to 2 basins and freeze.

I think that any cooked pudding is not going to take well to being cut up. This is what I do (in a similar circumstance)
    Make 2 x 1lb puddings
    Either put both basins in a large saucepan for steaming, or ,as I do, steam in a slow cooker. Another method, if you have an old fashioned oval metal 'roaster' tin is to put them in that, fill about half way with boiling water, and put in the oven at 90 degrees.
    To re-heat, follow the instructions for cooking. I have always re-heated mine in the slow cooker - after Xmas breakfast, on it goes, with an inch or so of boiling water in the bottom, and sits there until we're ready!

Hope that helps.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 30,860 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    Another one who has never frozen a Christmas pudding

this years one, sell by date is 2012, it will be fine
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 8th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,680 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    I don't think a 2lb one can be transformed into two 1lb ones without losing its integrity. You could of course steam a 2lb one and then cut it in half, but then it wouldn't be a Christmas pudding! I have never frozen one, they keep for years.

If you want to avoid the steaming, you can cook it in a pressure cooker if you have one, it will only take a couple of hours.

A useful tip - you don't need to do 8 hrs steaming all in one go. When I worked full time, I really struggled to find a date when I could do this. It's perfectly acceptable to steam it for four hours one night and another four the next.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kah22
    • By kah22 8th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    kah22
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    Ok sorry for the confusion. I should be more careful. I offer no excuse.

I donít know why I wrote Ďafter taking it the from the freezer.í

Neither am I saying that my 2lb pudding should be liquid enough after steaming to pour into 2 individual 1 lb basins and then frozen. I know you donít freeze the pudding, that they keep for ages in a cool dark place: the booze, the sugar and the fat see to that!

I was asking whether or not I could steam a two pound Christmas pudding and immediately after the steaming divide it into two and transfer each half to an individual 1lb pudding basins. Each half would be stored in a cool dark place.

buildersdaughter made the comment:
    I think that any cooked pudding is not going to take well to being cut up
    . That was another implied question Ďwill it take kindly to been divided?í Would you agree with buildersdaughter?

Kevin
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 8th Nov 18, 9:28 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Got it now!
    I think that if you cut a pudding in half, you could wrap it tightly in greaseproof paper (or baking parchment) then foil, and it would keep OK (but not really as well as if kept whole). You would also have to be careful with reheating. A pudding which occupies its original basin re-heats well. But I think you could reheat half a pudding.
    I would plan to do 2 separate puddings. I have re-heated wrapped slices that were left over. They were OK, but a bit drier.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 8th Nov 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,680 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ah, it's all clear now! I agree with builders daughter.

For me though, the pudding-bowl shape is an important part of it. If you love it so much that you eat it all year round, maybe it doesn't matter, but if you're going to serve it up on Christmas Day with a sprig of holly, I'd feel disappointed to get half a pudding!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 9th Nov 18, 7:43 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    I think OP was bothered about how to steam the puddings initially - presumably he usually puts one in a saucepan or small steamer and just boils it. Most ordinary saucepans wouldn't have room for 2 x 1lb. size basins side by side.
    I hope you now have some alternatives to consider.

Your post has reminded me of my childhood when my mother made huge quantities of Xmas puddings for the family, other relative and neighbours. One of her favourite things was to make individual puddings in old teacups. The bigger ones would be tied up & suspended over the 'copper' that heated the water for washing in the outhouse, whilst the smaller ones steamed in the jam pan.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 8,037 Thanks
    MandM90
    I think OP was bothered about how to steam the puddings initially - presumably he usually puts one in a saucepan or small steamer and just boils it. Most ordinary saucepans wouldn't have room for 2 x 1lb. size basins side by side.
    I hope you now have some alternatives to consider.

Your post has reminded me of my childhood when my mother made huge quantities of Xmas puddings for the family, other relative and neighbours. One of her favourite things was to make individual puddings in old teacups. The bigger ones would be tied up & suspended over the 'copper' that heated the water for washing in the outhouse, whilst the smaller ones steamed in the jam pan.
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    Tell me more about the teacups!! Are they steamed in the teacups? How? Sounds like an amazing Xmas pressie!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 9th Nov 18, 8:53 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Yes, this was the days before charity shops. She would do them as a gift for her aunts and a few neighbours. The teacups would have been any of ours that had their saucers broken (this was the days before mugs were acceptable!) and some from jumble sales. Some people carefully returned them 'for next year'!
    Just the same as any Xmas pudding, make sure the cup isn't cracked.Obviously you steam for a shorter time and I can't remember how long, but Xmas pudding is very forgiving, so I'd just have a guess!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 8,037 Thanks
    MandM90
    Yes, this was the days before charity shops. She would do them as a gift for her aunts and a few neighbours. The teacups would have been any of ours that had their saucers broken (this was the days before mugs were acceptable!) and some from jumble sales. Some people carefully returned them 'for next year'!
    Just the same as any Xmas pudding, make sure the cup isn't cracked.Obviously you steam for a shorter time and I can't remember how long, but Xmas pudding is very forgiving, so I'd just have a guess!
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    I think I'm going to try this - will report back!!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 9th Nov 18, 1:04 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    2childmum
    One year we made little puddings in old small tins (the half sized ones - I think we ate loads of baked beans in order to free the tins!) I was thinking about doing this again, but I can't remember exactly how we did it. I will have to go back through my Christmas folder and see if I made a note there. They were good for pressies.

Thinking about it it might have been Christmas cakes we did, not puddings!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 9th Nov 18, 2:12 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Sounds great! I have done small Xmas puds in small tins, and I do small cakes as well in various tins I have gathered, but never thought of those small tins of beans. Some of you know that I do a butterbean hummus in summer, so next summer will save those small tins.
    I have, in recent years, found that many people love to buy a small cake or pud - tastes have changed, and so many people now say that the traditional cakes or puds are too rich or heavy, nd a lot of families won't go to the expense and bother for one or two people.
    I make the small cakes (and occasionally puds) for fund raisers,and find people will buy them saying 'oh, that will be just nice for mum / auntie / gramps to enjoy'.

As for cooking - I suggest that you use a cake thermometer to check they are done.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 9th Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    I'm the only one in the family that actually LIKES Christmas Pudding - and I've been diagnosed as Coeliac . I've bought a single-serving Gluten Free Pud from Mr T's. I usually get a single-serving Chocolate Steamed Pudding for OH as he prefers those.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 9th Nov 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 48,874 Thanks
    meanmarie
    KAH, you can steam your pudding in a 2lb bowl for the relevant length of time and, as soon as it is cooked and still hot, decant it into your 2 smaller bowls..... the mix will still be quite crumbly while hot and will mould itself to the bowls as it cools..... my SIL used to do this in the days when we made huge puddings and it worked fine.

HTH.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Nov 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,680 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh well I never knew that! Thanks, worth knowing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

745Posts Today

5,095Users online

Martin's Twitter