Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xeorix
    • By Xeorix 8th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 286Thanks
    Xeorix
    Sainsbury Click & Collect - Charged more that agreed
    • 8th Nov 18, 12:37 PM
    Sainsbury Click & Collect - Charged more that agreed 8th Nov 18 at 12:37 PM
    Hi All,

I need to know my rights here as Sainsburys are really taking the cake.

We were doing our weekly shop last Monday, and some of you might have seen there was a pricing error on some Turkeys, showing as 40p each rather than £7. The other half decided to take advantage of it and put 10 turkeys in the basket. Went through to pay, and agreed to pay the £50 for the shop.

Come Tuesday, Sainsburys issued a rather confusing email that said there was a technical error and they cant offer the turkeys at 40p each. Instead, if the store has stock they will offer us a maximum of 2 turkeys for £6 each. If we didn't want them, we could refuse them. Absolutely fine!
    There was a number to call to get a voucher for the difference, tried it for over an hour, couldn't get through.

Went to collect order on the Wednesday and the guy had 10 turkeys waiting for us, all charged at £7 each, he knew nothing about the price issue, the limit or the £6 charge rather than £7. We refused the items and he said the amount would get refunded within 3-5 days.

Where does this leave us?
    • After we collected the order, we saw an authorisation amount for £70 more than we agreed during the online shop. Since it was a pre-auth, I assumed they would only take the lower value after refund
    • This authorisation stayed on our account until Friday when the full amount (£130 ish) was taken out of our account., which put it straight into an unarranged overdraft
    • We contacted Sainsburys via email on Saturday as we had not received any acknowledgement of the refund nor the refused items
    • It is now over a week since the order, we still have not received any acknowledgement nor a refund, the account should still be in the overdraft occurring fees, but had to borrow money from family to stop this.

Where do we stand on this? Read the T&Cs for Sainsburys and they're patchy. Say online prices are a guide price, contract not agreed until you collect.

I'd have thought that legally, they cannot charge more than the agreed amount, or even if there was a higher pre-auth for the full amount, they cannot charge it if we refused items.
    Cashback
    Total Quidco since 2007: £166.64
    Total TCB since 2012: £398

Competition Wins
    5* Break in Scotland
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Nov 18, 1:29 PM
    • 12,015 Posts
    • 8,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Nov 18, 1:29 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 1:29 PM
    It was a simple pricing mistake by your own admission you tried to "take advantage" of. They are not legally obliged to sell them at the mistaken price.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 8th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 16,079 Posts
    • 22,109 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 8th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    It makes it very clear when you do online delivery that it is a GUIDE price.

e.g. when you ask for 4 carrots, you have no idea how big the carrots are going to be so it is just a guide.

Given the 40p was blatently a mistake, then you were very optimistic hoping for this price to remain.

When you were informed of your mistake, you should have logged back into your shopping and removed them all.

You took a risk (the risk being that you would be charged £7 x 10) which didn't pay off...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Xeorix
    • By Xeorix 8th Nov 18, 2:18 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    Xeorix
    • 8th Nov 18, 2:18 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 2:18 PM
    Did anyone actually read the full post?

I say that the pricing is absolutely fine. What is not is that they've charged us full price, after saying they weren't available, offering them at £6, refusing them and then not having a refund

I should also mention that plenty of people have had their items fulfilled at 40p. Not that it matters as its a gamble.
    Cashback
    Total Quidco since 2007: £166.64
    Total TCB since 2012: £398

Competition Wins
    5* Break in Scotland
    • photome
    • By photome 8th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    • 13,608 Posts
    • 9,104 Thanks
    photome
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    Did anyone actually read the full post?

I say that the pricing is absolutely fine. What is not is that they've charged us full price, after saying they weren't available, offering them at £6, refusing them and then not having a refund

I should also mention that plenty of people have had their items fulfilled at 40p. Not that it matters as its a gamble.
    Originally posted by Xeorix

you should only gamble what you can afford to lose

if 10 turkeys at full price was going to make you overdrawn, it was a gamble you couldnt afford
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    What would you have done with 10 turkeys?!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Nov 18, 5:09 PM
    • 6,898 Posts
    • 15,006 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:09 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:09 PM
    What would you have done with 10 turkeys?!
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Who doesn't love a bit of street meat!

I think the OP would have got more help if they hadnt totally tried to take the mick.

I'm sure OP will get her refund, but maybe Sainsburys are playing her at her own game and messing her about a bit first: karma!

Also 10 hypocrisy points for saying Sainsbo's are taking the cake
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Nov 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5,534 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    societys child
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:13 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:13 PM
    Waiting for your refund?

• takman
    • By takman 9th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    takman
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    Hi All,

I need to know my rights here as Sainsburys are really taking the cake.

We were doing our weekly shop last Monday, and some of you might have seen there was a pricing error on some Turkeys, showing as 40p each rather than £7. The other half decided to take advantage of it and put 10 turkeys in the basket. Went through to pay, and agreed to pay the £50 for the shop.

Come Tuesday, Sainsburys issued a rather confusing email that said there was a technical error and they cant offer the turkeys at 40p each. Instead, if the store has stock they will offer us a maximum of 2 turkeys for £6 each. If we didn't want them, we could refuse them. Absolutely fine!
    There was a number to call to get a voucher for the difference, tried it for over an hour, couldn't get through.

Went to collect order on the Wednesday and the guy had 10 turkeys waiting for us, all charged at £7 each, he knew nothing about the price issue, the limit or the £6 charge rather than £7. We refused the items and he said the amount would get refunded within 3-5 days.

• After we collected the order, we saw an authorisation amount for £70 more than we agreed during the online shop. Since it was a pre-auth, I assumed they would only take the lower value after refund
    • This authorisation stayed on our account until Friday when the full amount (£130 ish) was taken out of our account., which put it straight into an unarranged overdraft
    • We contacted Sainsburys via email on Saturday as we had not received any acknowledgement of the refund nor the refused items
    • It is now over a week since the order, we still have not received any acknowledgement nor a refund, the account should still be in the overdraft occurring fees, but had to borrow money from family to stop this.

Where do we stand on this? Read the T&Cs for Sainsburys and they're patchy. Say online prices are a guide price, contract not agreed until you collect.

I'd have thought that legally, they cannot charge more than the agreed amount, or even if there was a higher pre-auth for the full amount, they cannot charge it if we refused items.
    Considering you were taking the Micky by ordering 10 turkeys for 40p each then it serves you right that they will mess you about abit.

Like one poster said even if you got 10 turkeys what would you have done with them?; I bet most of them would have been wasted.

You also really need to get a grip of your finances if you don't even have £70 to hand and need to borrow it!. Your on the verge of big financial troubles if something goes wrong with your income for a short period.
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 9th Nov 18, 11:53 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    10 turkeys is very greedy, especially as you know itís a pricing error
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 9th Nov 18, 1:54 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Potbellypig

I can only go by what happens to me with Asda. I order, pay the full amount, and anything I don't want (swaps) they just refund. Sometimes it's pretty much instant, sometimes it can take days.

I'm sure you'll get your refund soon enough, but in life there's never a truer saying than 'what goes around comes around'.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 8,034 Thanks
    Murphybear
    How much would a new freezer, big enough for 10 turkeys, cost?
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Nov 18, 5:08 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    bris
    Karma, you got greedy and it backfired.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Les79
    I have to say but I do chuckle when someone thinks they are being clever and then the TOTAL OPPOSITE happens and they end up even worse off It is just so karma-like. Cheers for the laugh!

But in all seriousness, you stated that "Say online prices are a guide price, contract not agreed until you collect." which makes my job a lot simpler Contract not agreed until you collect, ergo THEY didn't agree to sell you them at 40p each. It may also be possible to void a contract if there is a GENUINE pricing mistake (as there clearly was here, as admitted by you).

Not sure what is going on with your bank though. If you rejected the excess turkeys then they shouldn't have charged you the money (though they may put the money "on hold" for 7 days with bank as pending). IF the money has genuinely come out (and not merely pending with your bank), and you rejected the proposed price change for the 10 turkeys (ie you didn't take them home), then you MAY have a case for requesting £5-£20 gesture of goodwill for their money-taking error. BUT that is dependent on what the Ts and Cs say as well.

Also, sounds like a lot of people have "taken advantage" of this offer; a likely reason for excessive hold times and unanswered emails recently....I do think you'll get it resolved like, but its probably going to take a few days (call centers typically hire just enough staff, or slightly less, to cover normal enquiries and errors like this can create huge backlogs).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,602Posts Today

9,105Users online

Martin's Twitter