Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 8th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 419Posts
    • 224Thanks
    Deastons
    Steering wheel fault?
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    Steering wheel fault? 8th Nov 18 at 9:06 AM
    I've noticed the steering wheel of my 2014 VW Golf turns slightly more anti-clockwise than it does clockwise.

Turning anti-clockwise it does just over 1.5 turns, but clockwise just under 1.5 turns.

I'm worried this is quite a serious fault (it's the thing you hold all the time, after all). Is this something I should get checked out? Is it likely to be the wheels themselves or the steering wheel? I'm wondering if it means the steering wheel is loose and might ultimately come off.
Page 2
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th Nov 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    treboeth
    @Deastons any credibility you may have had on this Forum has been wiped out with this thread.

Will you come clean as to your real identity
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 9th Nov 18, 10:27 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Scrapit
    Had everyone on this forum been watching too much Scooby doo? Everyone's looking to unmask everyone else. Not very constructive and detrimental to creating a community.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 10:31 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    James2k
    Had everyone on this forum been watching too much Scooby doo? Everyone's looking to unmask everyone else. Not very constructive and detrimental to creating a community.
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    well with people like you and the op, i'm not surprised.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 9th Nov 18, 10:40 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Scrapit
    well with people like you and the op, i'm not surprised.
    Originally posted by James2k
    Gosh, so scathing. I might need to go to my safespace. But first do you think you come across well? Have all your posts been met with helpful and useful responses? From what I've seen the answer is a no. So on that basis I suspect you are a previous poster. Probbably, almost certainly dark matter and nothing you can say will change my mind. There will be several others along shortly to co firm this. Then a pedant will come and correct some spelling and /or grammer ( ) and the OP will be none the wiser. Or at least that's how it normally goes any way I bid you good day DM.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    James2k
    Gosh, so scathing. I might need to go to my safespace. But first do you think you come across well? Have all your posts been met with helpful and useful responses? From what I've seen the answer is a no. So on that basis I suspect you are a previous poster. Probbably, almost certainly dark matter and nothing you can say will change my mind. There will be several others along shortly to co firm this. Then a pedant will come and correct some spelling and /or grammer ( ) and the OP will be none the wiser. Or at least that's how it normally goes any way I bid you good day DM.
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    Case in point
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 9th Nov 18, 11:01 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Scrapit
    Case in point
    Exactly DM!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Nov 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12,016 Posts
    • 8,758 Thanks
    neilmcl
    You know a thread has taken a surreal turn when you have 3 AEs, who may or may not be the same person, having a go at each other
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 18, 11:07 AM
    • 13,609 Posts
    • 9,106 Thanks
    photome
    You know a thread has taken a surreal turn when you have 3 AEs, who may or may not be the same person, having a go at each other
    Originally posted by neilmcl

why is it the motoring forum brings them all out
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 9th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Scrapit
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    You know you've completely reverted to type by posting that right? You've single handledly proved the point I'm making! Well done, well done indeed!
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 9th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Deastons
    I can't say for definite, as you have the car to look at not me, and if it did come off the steering wheel and run over some CHILDREN it might be somehow construed as partially my fault if I were to advise you to drive it before it is checked.

However, you can lease a car for 180 a month, surely you can pay less than 180 a day to hire one.
    Originally posted by facade
    I've hired it for a week. I don't want to go into it, but I have a family situation at the moment where I can risk not having a car available at all times.

I have no idea what's going on on this forum - I'm now realising I've been the victim of poor advice and bullying (again).

Thanks to those that actually took the time to give well-meaning advice.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 12:48 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    James2k
    I've hired it for a week. I don't want to go into it, but I have a family situation at the moment where I can risk not having a car available at all times.

I have no idea what's going on on this forum - I'm now realising I've been the victim of poor advice and bullying (again).

Thanks to those that actually took the time to give well-meaning advice.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    If its so bad why not go post on mumsnet or something?

Neil, you are (aside from someone who cant make points clearly) some kind of savant! Also other things i wouldnt post on a family forum
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 9th Nov 18, 1:29 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Deastons
    If its so bad why not go post on mumsnet or something?

Neil, you are (aside from someone who cant make points clearly) some kind of savant! Also other things i wouldnt post on a family forum
    I wouldn't imagine the users of mumsnet would have a strong understanding of car mechanics.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    James2k
    I wouldn't imagine the users of mumsnet would have a strong understanding of car mechanics.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    And that's different to here, how?
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 9th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Muscle750
    Someone may of put a new steering rack in it at some point and not set it correctly basically you have two adjustable track rod ends which is where you adjust the tracking etc, if one end is screwed on too much and the other not enough the tracking will still be correct when set but the steering wheel will be off centre. On most cars inc VW you can not put the bottom of the column on the rack in the wrong place it will only go on in a specific way. However you can put the steering wheel on the other end of the steering column at any angle within reason. If the steering angle sensor light is not on which you havent mentioned it may well be correct. Only way is maybe check it against another same model car etc.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 9th Nov 18, 11:00 PM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 3,284 Thanks
    Robisere
    Someone may of put a new steering rack in it at some point and not set it correctly basically you have two adjustable track rod ends which is where you adjust the tracking etc, if one end is screwed on too much and the other not enough the tracking will still be correct when set but the steering wheel will be off centre. On most cars inc VW you can not put the bottom of the column on the rack in the wrong place it will only go on in a specific way. However you can put the steering wheel on the other end of the steering column at any angle within reason. If the steering angle sensor light is not on which you havent mentioned it may well be correct. Only way is maybe check it against another same model car etc.
    Originally posted by Muscle750

Best advice here! I believe there may also be "Stops" against excessive rack travel. Is there an airbag in the steering wheel? Sometimes this makes for a more complex, longer Tracking procedure and the tech gets the job done too quickly. As a long-time Motability customer, I have had several different cars checked* for alignment and realigned (including Tracking) at KwikFit. Every time the job was done correctly and the steering wheel returned "dead Ahead."

*I keep an eye on my tyres and wear patterns of fronts. Equal wear to both front tyres on the outer edge means "toeing-in". On inner edge, "toeing-out." Both mean that you need steering alignment checked at a responsible garage. Before driving away, check steering wheel is dead ahead, with both front wheels straight ahead. Turn them lock to lock, engine on, before centralising the steering wheel.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

525Posts Today

5,146Users online

Martin's Twitter