Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • campbeji
    • By campbeji 8th Nov 18, 3:20 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 30Thanks
    campbeji
    PPI Claim - Really??
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:20 AM
    PPI Claim - Really?? 8th Nov 18 at 3:20 AM
    Hi all,

I feel a little silly about this, but I was chatting to a friend recently and he mentioned that he had claimed for being mis-sold PPI and had received several 0,000's in a payout. I said to him that there seemed to be a lot of people who bought this insurance without understanding it properly. He told me that he didn't even realise he had it until his friend told him to check, he sent off a letter and turns out he got loads of money.

So I had a bit of a look online and it turns out that there is lots of info, and I have somehow managed to miss the whole thing, I kinda thought it was no more than irritating people phoning me up :-)

Problem is I don't know what I am doing and I feel a little overwhelmed by it all.

As far as I know, we have had PPI on one mortgage policy about 20 years ago, but we actually made a claim on that, so I doubt we can claim for that.

Since then we have moved mortgage about 5 or 6 times, but I have no info or details about any of them, I don't even remember the name of most of them.

I have also had a half dozen credit cards, but I don't remember ever seeing any PPI mentioned on them, but I got rid of them about 4+ years ago. My current card has no mention of it

I don't recall ever having any other loans.

So if some kind and generous person fancies giving a bit of advice to me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Jim
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Nov 18, 5:33 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 20,710 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:33 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:33 AM
    You"re not claiming. You're COMPLAINING if you believe you were mis sold.

PPI would have appeared on your credit card statements if you had it.

If you didn't have PPI, then there was no mis selling.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 95,825 Posts
    • 63,538 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    As far as I know, we have had PPI on one mortgage policy about 20 years ago, but we actually made a claim on that, so I doubt we can claim for that.
    What would your complaint reason be?

The fact it paid out on a claim means you were eligible, you knew about it and needed it. So, whilst a successful complaint is still possible, it would need an unusual complaint reason identified.

I have also had a half dozen credit cards, but I don't remember ever seeing any PPI mentioned on them, but I got rid of them about 4+ years ago. My current card has no mention of it
    If you have PPI on the credit cards, you only pay it if you borrow on them. Not if you repay it each month.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 08-11-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    • 22,476 Posts
    • 12,034 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:47 AM
    Problem is I don't know what I am doing and I feel a little overwhelmed by it all.
    Originally posted by campbeji
    The general procedure for complaining about PPI is discussed in detail here;
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/

After reading that, if you still have specific questions then return here and ask away
    • campbeji
    • By campbeji 9th Nov 18, 7:17 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    campbeji
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:17 PM

The fact it paid out on a claim means you were eligible, you knew about it and needed it. So, whilst a successful complaint is still possible, it would need an unusual complaint reason identified.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Yes, I was eligible, Yes, I did need it as it turns out, However I didn't know about it when I took the mortgage, I was friendly with the guy that sold the mortgage to me at the time and I happened to mention that my wife was ill and we were struggling a bit with the mortgage, and he told me about it.

I would assume that this is the position a lot of people were in, they didn't know they had PPI, I just happened to need it and a friend pointed out that I had it.

I just assumed you couldn't complain about a policy that I had made a claim.

Anyway my original point was that in all of the mortgages I had that was the only one that I knew for sure had a PPI policy, the others I don't know about and I don't know how to find out.

Jim
    • campbeji
    • By campbeji 9th Nov 18, 7:19 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    campbeji
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:19 PM
    The general procedure for complaining about PPI is discussed in detail here;
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/

After reading that, if you still have specific questions then return here and ask away
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    OK, Will do,

Thanks
    Jim
    • campbeji
    • By campbeji 9th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    campbeji
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    You"re not claiming. You're COMPLAINING if you believe you were mis sold.
    Originally posted by zx81
    OK, thanks for clearing that up

PPI would have appeared on your credit card statements if you had it.
    Credit Card Statements are long gone

If you didn't have PPI, then there was no mis selling.
    So, let me get this straight, your telling me that I can't complain about something I didn't buy, those pesky rules

Jim
    • campbeji
    • By campbeji 9th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    campbeji
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:30 PM

If you have PPI on the credit cards, you only pay it if you borrow on them. Not if you repay it each month.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I'd love to say that I had paid them off every month, but I didn't, so on the 4 or 5 cards that I had (plus some store cards that I had come to think of it) there might have been PPI on them, I just don't remember seeing it mentioned.

I guess that there would not have been a line on the statement saying 'Your mis-sold PPI payment' if it was there it was probably listed as something that didn't arouse my attention.

Thanks
    Jim
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    societys child
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:38 PM
    I guess that there would not have been a line on the statement saying 'Your mis-sold PPI payment' if it was there it was probably listed as something that didn't arouse my attention.
    You guess wrong, any ppi would have been itemised on a separate line as payment protection insurance or similar, and would have shown the total amount of ppi payable. It probably wouldn't have mentioned "mis-sold" as many, many ppi policies wasn't in fact 'mis-sold'. The bill wouldn't have totalled up correctly if the ppi was somehow hidden . .

What would be your reason for complaint about this phantom ppi on these long gone credit cards?

• Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 9th Nov 18, 9:48 PM
    • 5,992 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Yes, I was eligible, Yes, I did need it as it turns out, However I didn't know about it when I took the mortgage, I was friendly with the guy that sold the mortgage to me at the time and I happened to mention that my wife was ill and we were struggling a bit with the mortgage, and he told me about it.

I would assume that this is the position a lot of people were in, they didn't know they had PPI, I just happened to need it and a friend pointed out that I had it.

I just assumed you couldn't complain about a policy that I had made a claim.

Anyway my original point was that in all of the mortgages I had that was the only one that I knew for sure had a PPI policy, the others I don't know about and I don't know how to find out.

Jim
    Originally posted by campbeji

Any claims you made on the policy will be deducted from a refund of the policy. That said, you complain to the person who sold you the mortgage and if it was sold pre-2005 they will reject it as pre-regulation. Moreover, it may have been a condition of him doing the mortgage for you for free as he got commission from the sale which is allowed.

On your other point, you assume wrong. Pretty much nobody didn't know they had it as they had to sign to say they wanted it and on a mortgage plan they would do a lot of documentation to sign to agree you wanted it, highly unlikely to be miss-sold, and certainly not on the basis you didn't know about it - you paid it for as long as the mortgage went on and it was a separate payment from your bank account
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    • 8,715 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    -taff
    Go to the websites of the people you had credit with and complain directly to them. That's all you have to do.
    I wouldn't go with 'didn't know I had it' though, since that could easily be disproved if you did.You would have signed to say you did.
    If you had good sick pay, savings or other cover you didn't need it. If it was a loan, it's likely it was single premium.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter