Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sally Fisher
    • By Sally Fisher 8th Nov 18, 2:03 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sally Fisher
    Lease car
    • 8th Nov 18, 2:03 AM
    Lease car 8th Nov 18 at 2:03 AM
    Hi my Daughter's husband suddenly passed away, he had a lease car in his name and the car company has sent a letter saying she either has to continue paying the direct debit for the term and then buy it or exchange the car, ( quite a hefty outgoing) pay a very large sum of money to buy the car immediately! Or return it and still have to pay several thousands of pounds! Not sure if this is correct.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Nov 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,692 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:42 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:42 AM
    Hi my Daughter's husband suddenly passed away, he had a lease car in his name and the car company has sent a letter saying she either has to continue paying the direct debit for the term and then buy it or exchange the car, ( quite a hefty outgoing) pay a very large sum of money to buy the car immediately! Or return it and still have to pay several thousands of pounds! Not sure if this is correct.
    Originally posted by Sally Fisher
    Assuming the bank have bben told the DD will be rejected. Any debt is that of the estate not the wife and she cnnot be forced to pay. Has the estate got sufficient funds to pay this and any other debts?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5,622 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    If the payments are coming from a joint account they will not be automatically stopped once the bank has been informed of the death, they will need to be instructed to stop the payments.

If your son in law left a solvent estate then the debt will have to be paid. If not then the leasing company need to be informed the the estate is insolvent and that they need to collect the car. Whoever does this should make it clear that they are not administering the estate.

In the mean time no one should be using it.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 8th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    I am sorry to hear of your son in law's death - good that you are able to help out with these sorts of things.

Suspect as others say that the money will have to be paid if the estate is solvent - maybe it is better to pay the lump sum and then sell the car immediately - you may lose less than if you return it and still have to pay more money to them.
    • Sally Fisher
    • By Sally Fisher 9th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sally Fisher
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    Thank you all just hope they will wait for it to go through probate!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Nov 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:56 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:56 AM
    Sorry for your loss. I'd be more worried in the short term of ensuring that the insurance is all in order, especially if your Daughter still needs use of the vehicle.

AFAIK, (and correct me if I'm wrong) the current insurance could be invalidated, and assuming your Daughter is the beneficiary of the estate (including the car), she'd now need to insure the car in her own name. Not sure how strict insurers would be on this in the circumstances.

I'd hope that a spouse/partner, if already named on the insurance, would not suddenly be uninsured, in these circumstances, as the "family" car might be their only means of transport, and the "technicalities of insurance" being last thing on their minds in a time of crisis.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Nov 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,622 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:22 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:22 AM
    Thank you all just hope they will wait for it to go through probate!
    Originally posted by Sally Fisher
    Even if they do, it is likely to be a mistake leaving it that long, as costs are likely to build up.

The car is not part of his estate. If your daughter still wants to use the car then the payments need to be kept up, and both nsurence and tax need to be sorted. If not then she needs to tell the leasing company to remove the car and that all outstanding finance will be settled once probate has been granted.

Based on the fact that you have said this is going through probate, I am assuming the estate is solvent and the leasing company will eventually get paid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,635Posts Today

8,010Users online

Martin's Twitter