Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thanet_m
    • By thanet_m 8th Nov 18, 1:18 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    thanet_m
    Can non-EU student invest in mutual funds with banks in the UK?
    • 8th Nov 18, 1:18 AM
    Can non-EU student invest in mutual funds with banks in the UK? 8th Nov 18 at 1:18 AM
    Can non-EU student on tier 4 visa invest in mutual funds with banks in the UK?

For example, in the Investment Hub with Santander.

Is it illegal or not? Thank you.
    Last edited by thanet_m; 08-11-2018 at 1:19 AM. Reason: More info
Page 1
    • robber2
    • By robber2 8th Nov 18, 8:13 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    robber2
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:13 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:13 AM
    You will get a quicker and more accurate response if you ask Santander directly.

regards

Rob
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    • 12,574 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    Firstly, banks tend to be a bad place to buy this kind of investment. Read this forum to find out what people say about "platforms".

Secondly, whenever I have opened this kind of account I have been asked to prove my identity and that I am legally resident in the UK (for longer than six months). I have never seen anything to suggest that a student visa cannot be used for this purpose.
    • Mr.Saver
    • By Mr.Saver 10th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mr.Saver
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    Based on my experience with those platforms, you would need to be able to provide a proof of your identity (e.g. a passport) and a proof of your right of residence in the UK (e.g.: a BRP card). Many platforms will also ask you for a proof of address (e.g.: a bank statement).

BTW, banks normally are not good places for holding mutual funds, because they charge for a much higher fee than other investment platforms. You should do some researches online to find the investment platforms that suits you the best.
    Last edited by Mr.Saver; 10-11-2018 at 1:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

673Posts Today

4,580Users online

Martin's Twitter