Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 7th Nov 18, 11:44 PM
    • 150Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Is this country going to crap?
    • 7th Nov 18, 11:44 PM
    Is this country going to crap? 7th Nov 18 at 11:44 PM
    I think we are all old enough to have a mature conversation without a mod blocking this topic or it turning into a cesspool of hate.

Living in London, it's like everyday all I am hearing is another young person being killed, someone being stabbed or having acid thrown in their face. It has got to a point where I avoid going to shopping centers like Westfield because it has become a hangout spot for rowdy kids and thugs causing a scene, getting into fights, thefts and a bunch of other stuff. I would go back home to my parents and the streets are brown from degenerates spitting tobacco on the streets.

I move out to the other side of London to get away from it all. Within a year, the other councils are sending their worst people to our area and now we are seeing a drastic rise in knife crime and gang activity whilst Sadiq Khan forces our council to accept these people and build more "social housing".

I could rant on forever but want your opinion on the above and your thoughts on this country in general
Page 3
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 9th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Some do. Some belive the dream of this that romcoms sell them and then reality is a shock.

Should they be tied forever because they made a mistake?
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    No, they can get a divorce, if they can't do that because of their faith, then they probably shouldn't be living together either......
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 9th Nov 18, 6:07 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Then one good fire and problem solved?

I'm not sure that separating people whose attitudes you want to change from all the people whose attitudes you want them to espouse is going to be a very successful policy
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    There are plenty of places already where there are a handful of roads in and out of town. When I say estate, what I really mean is town or something similar. Have them all in one place and if someone really wants to leave the gang life behind and behave themselves in school, move them and there family to better areas and schools. If they mis-behave in school, get into trouble on the streets then send their asses back.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 9th Nov 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    “Them”.? What’s your decision criteria for selecting teenagers to be doomed then?
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I can see the logic of separating off the criminals, lazy people etc but maybe if they all get together they will become worse with no hope of ever changing. Then it will be a case of having genuine no go areas. Could even lead to a civil war!
    I'd like to see less tolerance. Caught with a knife? Get sent to prison for a decent amount of time ( in a prison with no tv, no gym or computer games, no visitors, basic food etc). Claiming benefits long term through laziness? Well you will have to do community work to earn it and it would be a nominal sum paid in tokens only. Drunkenness and fights led to the police or ambulance being called? Send those responsible the bill. Treated in hospital as a direct cause of smoking, drinking or being fat? Invoice them too. I have to admit I'm fat so I'd be at risk of this! All the money saved would provide better healthcare and benefits for people who actually need support. Then I'd fine people for inconsiderate behaviour and spray them with foul smelling day glow paint to shame them! If we all club together maybe we could buy a small island, declare independence and enforce our own rules?!
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 9th Nov 18, 7:42 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    ďThemĒ.? Whatís your decision criteria for selecting teenagers to be doomed then?
    Those who are associated with gangs, have been in trouble with the police, disruptive in schools etc. And everyone, not just teenagers.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 9th Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Those who are associated with gangs, have been in trouble with the police, disruptive in schools etc. And everyone, not just teenagers.
    Originally posted by Nathaniel Essex

I don't trust our country not to start systematically segregating the poor. Actually, I don't trust anyone to judge on a matter which effectively condems you to live in the Thunderdome.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Nov 18, 8:14 PM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 5,940 Thanks
    Comms69
    Marriage was designed when kids moved out at 18 and people died at 65, and women mainly did the compromising because they had no money. The recent "back in time to the factory" series was fascinating.

I don't think marriage is fit for purpose any more!
    To be fair marriage has been around for much longer than that.

Iím not actually a fan of marriage myself; but whether marriage is fit for purpose I do find interesting.

No-one is forced to get married. Oni canít say whether it would work for everyone. But there must be a reason why it has sirvived centuries; and is widely adopted across cultures.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Nov 18, 10:33 PM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 11,206 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Marriage was designed when kids moved out at 18 and people died at 65
    Marriage is way, way older than our very modern take that you have to wait to 18 for everything.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 9th Nov 18, 11:26 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Marriage is way, way older than our very modern take that you have to wait to 18 for everything.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99

Yes, women have been chattels for much, much longer than we care to remember.
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 10th Nov 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 6,893 Thanks
    neneromanova
    For me it's idiots in the Government only thinking about their own selves. We send £13billion in foreign aid to different countries. Yes I agree some countries do need the money, but defiantely not most. We need to sort out our own country first and foremost before we help other countries. We need more money spent on schools and clubs for kids to keep them entertained and give them self worth and keep them off the streets. We need more money spent on police forces and we need more money on mental health services.

Most of all we need to look at the work teachers and police have to do. Police say they spend most of their time doing paperwork which isn't right. they shouldn't have to do loads of paperwork. they should be policing the streets. Showing a police force. I haven't seen a police officer on the streets for over a year!

You have to start from the bottom to clear the top.
    DD1 Born 31st March 2008
    DD2 Born 29th August 2010
    DS1 Born 28th October 2013
    Got Married 15th September 2012 Now Mrs Clark

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Nov 18, 11:48 AM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 11,206 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    We need more money spent on schools and clubs for kids to keep them entertained and give them self worth and keep them off the streets.
    Originally posted by neneromanova

Just so you know, spending per pupil at secondary level is up 70% in real terms over the last 30 years.

It didn't feel like the school was struggling for money when I was at secondary school, so where is all this extra money going if it is now not enough? No-one I know, including schoolteachers, have been able to explain this to me.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Nov 18, 12:00 PM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 5,940 Thanks
    Comms69
    Yes, women have been chattels for much, much longer than we care to remember.
    Sorry but no-one has it particularly well for centuries. I donít think you can draw such a conclusion.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Nov 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Sorry but no-one has it particularly well for centuries. I don’t think you can draw such a conclusion.
    Originally posted by Comms69

You said in your other thread to call you out if you were being sexist.

In this reply it reads as if you are denying women were historically, for all practical purposes, owned by men; or perhaps suggesting that this situation was equally bad for men.

That's both sexist, and not factual.

I know many people excited about civil partnership becoming an option for them because marriage has such an awful history.
    Last edited by BrassicWoman; 10-11-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Nov 18, 12:47 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Just so you know, spending per pupil at secondary level is up 70% in real terms over the last 30 years.

It didn't feel like the school was struggling for money when I was at secondary school, so where is all this extra money going if it is now not enough? No-one I know, including schoolteachers, have been able to explain this to me.
    Itís gone down since 2010 while pupil numbers and demands on resources have gone up.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13143
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Nov 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 3,160 Thanks
    dawyldthing

Wages, ni contributions, employee tax contributions, tax, pensions and the list goes on (esp as itís matched). Thatís where a lot of itís going. Certainly not on the children
    roll on end of April 2019 *20 done* = *20 to go*
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Nov 18, 3:21 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    ska lover
    I live in a decent sized city - (not London)

and Yes it is going to the dogs. MASSIVELY

Crime is through the roof, Stabbings are every day, Murders several times per month. Homelessness is a massive problem. The population of the city has trebled in the last 15 years, so not enough jobs / homes / schools / doctors / hospitals for anyone

It really is a simmering pot of static negative energy. The city center is dead at night, there are no police
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Nov 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 5,940 Thanks
    Comms69
    You said in your other thread to call you out if you were being sexist.

In this reply it reads as if you are denying women were historically, for all practical purposes, owned by men; or perhaps suggesting that this situation was equally bad for men. - What I said was that nobody has had it particularly well. Unless you think there's a chance of a repeat of history (which I don't think there is) I see no benefit to analysing quite who had it worse. But i'm sure for all intents and purposes there are several examples where men (we just remembered several hundred thousand of them this Sunday) had it worse. I have no issue with equal rights; absolutely none whatsoever. (I think it should be matched by equal responsibility too mind)

That's both sexist, and not factual. - Ok. It's not sexist (you will need to back that up i'm afraid - you cant just say sexist and walk away). Everyone had it bad. (well except for the nobility perhaps). I think you're making the mistake of judging the past by today's standards; or if you wish to do that, you must at least look at a proportional analysis of the present.

I know many people excited about civil partnership becoming an option for them because marriage has such an awful history.
    Good for them.

I wish them well.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 14th Nov 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 7,599 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Good for them.

I wish them well.
    Originally posted by Comms69

You said to call you out. My response was at your request.

The two times I have seen you called out, you've then argued that no, you are not sexist.

But actually, it's all about perception. You clearly do not care how you are perceived; only about arguing that you are right. Life does not work to "right" and "wrong".
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th Nov 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    You said to call you out. My response was at your request.

The two times I have seen you called out, you've then argued that no, you are not sexist.

Same here.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 14th Nov 18, 10:07 PM
    • 12,739 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Don't worry, OP, you can always ignore what happens in London - that is, after all, what its own Mayor does every day.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

960Posts Today

6,188Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Do you believe BBC news reporting is biased on Brexit? In last week's poll, about left right? https://t.co/0I5nWrlfk1

• Oh the irony. Though to be fair to number 10, this probably sums up Brexit better than anything else I've seen... https://t.co/jfx47FUUYa

• That's almost exactly my journalistic philosophy. I never consider it a story if after checking it out I believe i? https://t.co/PxvHs456FC

• Follow Martin